Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2021, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    None of them competes with Facebook. No one else really does either.
    Now you've added parameters. *sigh*
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2021, 04:23 PM
    I did? Where? "There are many others? Name one that currently is even 1/10th the size of FB or Twitter." You didn't even met that criteria.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 9, 2021, 04:38 PM
    I did? Where? "There are many others? Name one that currently is even 1/10th the size of FB or Twitter." You didn't even met that criteria.
    Yup, I put on my librarian hat and carefully researched it.
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2021, 05:05 PM
    I would suggest you get rid of that hat. It worked poorly.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2021, 05:07 PM
    this is becoming a new twitter site
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 10, 2021, 01:13 AM
    There are many others? Name one that currently is even 1/10th the size of FB or Twitter. If you can't, and you can't, then why does that not amount to a monopoly?

/mike drop
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2021, 04:36 AM
    You still haven't done your homework. None of those compete with Facebook. Youtube is strictly video sharing. Facebook owns WhatsApp. Messenger is a text messaging app. WeChat is very large but is predominately used in China and not here. LinkedIn is primarily a professional, job-related app. Pinterest is primarily image sharing. The list goes on.

The fact remains. Facebook owns its market niche and has no real competition. The same is true of Twitter. Nice try, but no prize for you.
    BossMan

Jul 10, 2021, 04:42 AM
    You still haven't done your homework. None of those compete with Facebook. Youtube is strictly video sharing. Facebook owns WhatsApp. Messenger is a text messaging app. WeChat is very large but is predominately used in China and not here. LinkedIn is primarily a professional, job-related app. Pinterest is primarily image sharing. The list goes on.

The fact remains. Facebook owns its market niche and has no real competition. The same is true of Twitter. Nice try, but no prize for you.
    Firstly, stop with the overly obnoxious homework retort, it's getting tiresome. I'm not a wayward child and will not be addressed in that manner.
    Secondly, how you define social media and how the rest of the internet does clearly is out of step. In this case you clearly need to look more closely into how social media is defined.
    Finally, I have answered your question clearly, yet you choose to continue to argue.

Interesting to note the reach of FB compared to Twitter.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2021, 05:12 AM
    Social media is many things and you are mixing your platforms. The comparisons you are drawing is like saying Boeing is competing with Ford in the transportation business. Facebook is the dominant player in its market niche by far. It owns Instagram, Messenger, and WhatsApp. So I would suggest you look more closely into how one social medial platform differs from others. There are significant differences. Airplanes are not cars.

You have attempted an answer so good for you, but you are mixing apples and oranges. No one is seriously competing with Facebook. Twitter does have some competition, but is still the dominant player in its area of emphasis. That's the primary difference, in my view, you are not seeing.

The primary point remains that FB and Twitter are engaging in censoring political speech. That should concern everyone. Censoring nudity, profane language, and calls for insurrection are fine, but the selective banning of conservative political speech is alarming. Banning Diamond and Silk? Really?
    BossMan

Jul 10, 2021, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Social Media
    websites and applications that enable users to create and share content or to participate in social networking.
    You are moving the goal posts with your responses making it very difficult to have a meaningful discussion.

Over the years, the Big tech firms have been left to their own devices with very little over sight.
    Yet, now we have arrived at this juncture and the US government have finally realised what they have had a hand in developing.
    All well and good crying monopolistic behaviour, however the firms have their hands in so many different areas it is very difficult to sucessfully litigate them.
    Also, with the amounts of money involved, the Tech firms can afford any fines that are levied against. The recent $2B fine on Google was a mere drop in the ocean.
    These firms really are too big to fail or even legislate against effectively...

The US Gov has been complicit in the creation of these monopolies and, as they are effectively no longer under their direct control, they are running scared.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2021, 05:34 AM
    These firms really are too big to fail or even legislate against effectively...
    No such thing. Legislation against monopolistic practices started with the oil industry owned by Rockefeller. He was extraordinarily wealthy at the time and controlled something like 90% of the petroleum business in the U.S. His Standard Oil company was divided into 30 or so smaller companies, several of which survive to this day.

The US Gov has been complicit in the creation of these monopolies and, as they are effectively no longer under their direct control, they are running scared.
    Not sure how you're seeing that. The liberal dems love Facebook and Twitter. They are best of friends in their irrational hatred of Trump. But I am thrilled to see that you are agreeing they are monopolies. That's progress.

You are moving the goal posts with your responses making it very difficult to have a meaningful discussion.
    I'm not moving goal posts. I'm trying to get you to see that there are a number of different "sports" going on. You cannot just lump them all together. Facebook and LinkedIn are both social media but do not do the same thing. Youtube does not compete with Facebook anymore than Boeing competes with Ford.
    BossMan

Jul 10, 2021, 10:01 AM
    Jlisenbe, whatever I'm done with this discussion.
    You really should get a job in politics, but avoid pedestrian crossing, once you have proven black is white.
    This isn't an either/or choice you can use both, hence classic monopoly definitions fall over.
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2021, 03:14 PM
    but avoid pedestrian crossing, once you have proven black is white.
    This isn't an either/or choice you can use both, hence classic monopoly definitions fall over.
    I would comment on that, but since the discussion is over, it's all good.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2021, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Welcome to the club, Ben. We have been dealing with our in-house troll since forever, it seems. Quite often are the goal posts moved in the middle of a discussion, and words added or deleted to change the meaning to suit the troll.
    Ultra Member

Jul 11, 2021, 09:58 PM
    rarely does he do more than confuse the issue and divert the discussion
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2021, 06:35 PM
    We now know that Quid's regime is monitoring and directing big tech to censor . Jen Psaki said “we’re flagging problematic posts for Facebook that spread disinformation.”
    That means that it is the government that is doing the censorship ;and it bolsters Trump's case tremendously .If Facebook and the other tech monopolies are colluding with the government to suppress speech, it becomes much harder to hide behind the “we’re a private company” defense. In no way is it acceptable for the government to be providing a list of "problematic "content for Facebook to remove .
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2021, 07:29 PM
    Yeah. That is really incredible. Now here is a genuine "collusion" case for Pelosi and the liberal dems to hold hearings on. I won't hold my breath waiting.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2021, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    We now know that Quid's regime is monitoring and directing big tech to censor . Jen Psaki said “we’re flagging problematic posts for Facebook that spread disinformation.”
    That means that it is the government that is doing the censorship ;and it bolsters Trump's case tremendously .If Facebook and the other tech monopolies are colluding with the government to suppress speech, it becomes much harder to hide behind the “we’re a private company” defense. In no way is it acceptable for the government to be providing a list of "problematic "content for Facebook to remove .
    If it is just disinformation we can do with less of it, if it is political opinion then you do have a problem. Social media is responsible for a lot of disinformation and ill informed opinion which led to the capital riots so you can see how they might want to supress it
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2021, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    We know nothing of the sort! Do you understand the difference between "flagging" and "censoring"? The WH has a perfect right to watch (flag) Facebook for posts that spread disinformation.

That means that it is the government that is doing the censorship
    No, it does NOT mean that. Read the First Amendment.

and it bolsters Trump's case tremendously
    Trump HAS no "case"! Haven't you learned yet that Trump is clinically insane? Are you watching his behavior the last few months? See what he wrote about today's hearing in Arizona.

Insanity doesn't mean he's a raving maniac. It simply means he lacks the mental capacity to understand what's going on re the election and his "re-instatement" as president.

In no way is it acceptable for the government to be providing a list of "problematic "content for Facebook to remove .
    The government has a perfect right to expose disinformation. In fact, it is a legitimate role of government. Facebook has a perfect right to do nothing about any information provided by the government.

If you're suggesting the government is somehow forcing Facebook to act, you're confusing the Trump administration with the Biden administration. Trump was notorious for abusing government powers.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2021, 09:07 PM
    and Mr nowhere to be seen is not? all governments try to bend the narrative to their own advantage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would make a leviton dimmer switch make a buzzing noise? [ 5 Answers ]

What would make a leviton dimmer switch make a buzzing noise?

Make us one heart make us one mind make us one let your will be done [ 3 Answers ]

Where to find the vido, song or the music score For this song : make us one heart,make us one mind,let your will be done. Make us one flame, to proclaim your name, make us one, make us one

My shower heads make a high pitch noise how can I make it stop? [ 1 Answers ]

After the water runs for a minute, the shower heads start to make a high pitch noise.

View more questions Search