Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2021, 03:00 PM
    I repeat - anyone who believes in talking reptiles is a fundamentalist.
    You are welcome to your opinion. It is just that...your opinion. It is supported by nothing.

Every source cited agrees with me.
    No source agreed with your ridiculous observation about talking reptiles. NO ONE.

A literal Bible reading is common to all three - evangelicals, fundys, and born agains
    You are completely wrong. WG, for instance, believes in the new birth, and she is hardly a fundamentalist or a believer in a basically literal understanding of the scripture. It's like saying that dems and repubs are the same because they both believe in government. Details do matter in the real world.

As to the rest of your post, it is simply a dodge of trying not to answer about your belief concerning the resurrection. Just too afraid to answer. You can continue to pursue this if you want to, but you are going to see this question every time so all can see your refusal to answer. DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION???

I must admit that I do enjoy it when I get you stuck on a question like this. It's really mystifying. Like I said earlier, you would think you are a CIA agent being questioned by the Russkies. You are posting on a little used website read by nearly no one. It's really pretty safe. Go ahead, get up your courage, and just go for it!!!

What if we all promise not to tell anyone??? Would that help you feel more secure?
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2021, 07:28 PM
    Well, enough of this. A discussion has degenerated into...whatever this is. Let's press on and leave this behind. It's not worth it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 19, 2021, 08:09 PM
    The question:
    Does He show unconditional love when He pronounces judgment upon Jerusalem in Matthew 23 when He said, "“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate?"

My answer:
    Jesus is not pronouncing judgment, but is, with unconditional love, merely warning them to shape up or the sky will fall in on them. The warning = unconditional love.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2021, 08:39 PM
    It's clear that JL has no idea what WG means when she says "One question. No parenthetical verbiage."
    It means ask your question and then shut up. No comments, no additional, no predictions, no sniping, just ask the question and then wait for the answer.
    JL seems incapable of that.

The answer to the question is yes. He went into the city and ultimately died for them even though he knew they were going to reject him. He mourned over what he knew was going to happen to them. He begged them to come to him. He mourned and lamented over the people who would turn him over to be killed.
    If that's not unconditional love, then whatever it is, I'll take it.

And by the way, "agape" means "unconditional love."
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2021, 09:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    It's clear that JL has no idea what WG means when she says "One question. No parenthetical verbiage."
    It means ask your question and then shut up. No comments, no additional, no predictions, no sniping, just ask the question and then wait for the answer.
    JL seems incapable of that.

The answer to the question is yes. He went into the city and ultimately died for them even though he knew they were going to reject him. He mourned over what he knew was going to happen to them. He begged them to come to him. He mourned and lamented over the people who would turn him over to be killed.
    If that's not unconditional love, then whatever it is, I'll take it.

And by the way, "agape" means "unconditional love."
    Careful - Jl doesn't like to be corrected.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2021, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    You are welcome to your opinion. It is just that...your opinion. It is supported by nothing.
    My "opinion" of fundamentalism is supported by the three sources I cited - Britannica, Merriam-Webster, and Wikipedia. I'm sure you know that by now.

No source agreed with your ridiculous observation about talking reptiles. NO ONE.
    My observation was that you yourself agreed that reptiles spoke. Are you now denying that? Were you being ridiculous?

You are completely wrong.
    I am completely correct when I say that a literal Bible reading is common to all three (Evangelicals, Fundys and Born Agains).

WG, for instance, believes in the new birth, and she is hardly a fundamentalist or a believer in a basically literal understanding of the scripture.
    WG's beliefs are her own and not my concern. You're no match for her.

It's like saying that dems and repubs are the same because they both believe in government.
    If you want to liken that to dems and repubs, that is your privilege.

As to the rest of your post, it is simply a dodge of trying not to answer about your belief concerning the resurrection. Just too afraid to answer.
    You're repeating yourself - again. Do you have anything new?

You can continue to pursue this if you want to, but you are going to see this question every time so all can see your refusal to answer. DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION???
    Not a problem. I'll be happy to repeat my answer.

I must admit that I do enjoy it when I get you stuck on a question like this.
    You don't seem to enjoy it. In fact, you seem upset and angry. I'm sorry if I am the cause of that, but you bring it on yourself.

It's really mystifying.
    In that case, I'll give you my answer again to dissolve the mystery. When you admitted your reason for asking was to correct wrong belief, I didn't accept that as a valid reason. I then tried to explain what the purpose of a Q&A website is, but you couldn't/wouldn't understand that either.

Your grasp of the written word has proven to be deficient on this issue as it has on so many other issues. Not knowing how to help you, I point it out from time to time in the hope you will improve.

Would that help you feel more secure?
    If you would stop promoting such strange beliefs as talking reptiles, all of us here would feel more secure.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 04:34 AM
    You are, I suppose, too insecure to answer basic questions, so we're done. You are completely caught up in silliness such as "talking reptiles" and have no understanding of fundamentalism, evangelicalism, and so forth. This rock throwing contest has gone on too long. When you are ready for a genuine discussion and prepared to answer critical questions such as, "Do you believe in the resurrection," then get back with us.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2021, 08:57 AM
    When you are ready for a genuine discussion and prepared to answer critical questions such as, "Do you believe in the resurrection," then get back with us.
    Why does it matter what Athos or anyone else here believes about anything? This is a discussion board, not a right-or-wrong board, not an offshoot from that TV show, "To Tell the Truth." Even in your confusing post above, you say you want "a genuine discussion" -- about what we believe??? (and we can only hope it's the same things you believe?)

Sample discussion question: Why was the resurrection of Jesus Christ necessary?
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 09:48 AM
    Why does it matter what Athos or anyone else here believes about anything?
    Please tell me you're joking.

Sample discussion question: Why was the resurrection of Jesus Christ necessary?
    Aren't you asking what I believe? Isn't that violating your own post???
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2021, 10:38 AM
    Please tell me you're joking.
    This is not a BELIEF board; it's a DISCUSSION board.
    Aren't you asking what I believe? Isn't that violating your own post???
    Nope. That question can be answered without stating personal beliefs and church affiliations. For instance, one answer could be Jesus' resurrection was necessary in order to fulfill biblical prophecy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 10:48 AM
    You are, I suppose, too insecure to answer basic questions,
    As I've explained, I require a valid reason to answer your questions. You gave none. Instead, you continue your insulting behavior. I hope you don't act like this in real life. If you do, that would explain your troubles in real life.

You are completely caught up in silliness such as "talking reptiles"
    YOU are the one who believes in talking reptiles - not me. Do you now think your stated belief in talking reptiles is silliness?

and have no understanding of fundamentalism, evangelicalism,
    They read the bible literally. Do you say otherwise?

This rock throwing contest has gone on too long.
    Then stop throwing rocks. It's very simple.

When you are ready for a genuine discussion and prepared to answer critical questions such as, "Do you believe in the resurrection," then get back with us.

See WG's excellent response to this in her post #288. Your response to that post is another indication of your lack of understanding.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 10:59 AM
    Stop being evasive. Do you believe in the resurrection? Simple question.

That question can be answered without stating personal beliefs and church affiliations. For instance, one answer could be Jesus' resurrection was necessary in order to fulfill biblical prophecy.
    Which is, of course, a personal belief of yours. But at least you are affirming you believe in the resurrection.

This is silliness. We have a discussion board to talk about what we DON"T believe??? Is that how you see it?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:14 AM
    I've provided a simple answer over 6 times now. Yet, you keep asking the same question. It's odd that it's so important to you, someone who believes in talking reptiles.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:17 AM
    Do you believe in the resurrection? Yes or no.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2021, 11:19 AM
    That's not what this board, this particular thread, is for! Start a new thread, asking your "simple question".
    Which is, of course, a belief of yours. But at least you are affirming you believe in the resurrection.
    No, that statement (Jesus' resurrection was necessary in order to fulfill biblical prophecy.) has nothing to do with what I believe. It answers the question. There are additional reasons why Jesus' resurrection was necessary. Can you think of more?
    This is silliness. We have a discussion board to talk about what we DON"T believe??? Is that how you see it?
    No. What's the difference between being involved in a discussion and expressing one's beliefs?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:21 AM
    Which is, of course, a personal belief of yours. But at least you are affirming you believe in the resurrection.
    WG's statement may or may not be her personal belief. There's no way to tell. It just as easily could be her answer based on her study of Christianity. She is affirming nothing.

A discussion is NOT the same as expressing a personal religious belief or a church affiliation. You really, truly have a serious difficulty grasping the English language.

Do you believe in the resurrection? Yes or no.
    Do you understand my response? Yes or no.
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:22 AM
    No, that statement has nothing to do with what I believe. It snswers the question. There are additional reasons why Jesus' resurrection was necessary. Can you think of more?
    Of course it's what you believe to be a possible answer. Why else would you post it???

The lengths you guys will go to to avoid a simple answer. Do you believe in the resurrection?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:25 AM
    Of course it's what you believe to be a possible answer. Why else would you post it???
    One possibility has been explained to you. Do you understand it?
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2021, 11:27 AM
    Do you believe in the resurrection?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 20, 2021, 11:28 AM
    I googled to find that answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexmark genesis s815 [ 1 Answers ]

This same thing is happening to my printer... Lexmark genesis s815. All pages are printing blank. The ink is showing as full on the screen but it is not being delivered to print the pages... I am extremely fed up now. I have installed everything properly, this is my third Lexmark printer, so I know...

Translations of the meaning 'Genesis' [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for various translations of the meaning of Genesis (Birth, creation). The question overlaps into religious groups (Janana - Hindi). Can you help? Thanks.

Lifespans in Genesis (Bere****) [ 48 Answers ]

At synagogue recently there was a reading from the Torah about the age of Noah when he died. It said that he lived to be 950 years old. Afterwards I read some other passages from Genesis and lots of other people had super long lives, too. So: Did people just live longer then? Or, Did they...

View more questions Search