Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2021, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    your belief or non belief can show certain prejudices.
    According to your beliefs and prejudices.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2021, 03:37 PM
    Athos-

Talking nonsense is an insult to you? You have thin skin. You proposed a logical fallacy, a straw man of God's power, that is nonsense. I am beginning to think your goal in life is to say as much as possible...too bad, it doesn't say much.

Get your bible out and read it if you are so confounded. Satan = Cherubim = Four Faced Beast. I'm sorry you can't see that, it is written plain as day in Ezekiel, I guess your reading comprehension is lacking though.

I could care less what you believe, your brain is made of mud apparently, what the bible says and what you say are in stark contradiction.

Lets make a game of this, since you refuse to let any topic advance beyond some inability to understand the most basic of thoughts, how about you just go on insulting everyone, and I'll go on insulting you.

I'll start.

You are as dull as a 5 watt incandescent.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 17, 2021, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    Oh, such terrific testimony and witnessing! My heart nearly bursts with joy at seeing examples of believers expressing and sharing Jesus' love here on these boards! </sarcasm>
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2021, 03:48 PM
    Mr. Secretive. Why answer? Because we are discussing the Christian faith, and your belief or non belief can show certain prejudices. At any rate, your refusal to answer says volumes about you.
    That's what I thought.

You are looking for those areas that show (in your words) "certain prejudices". Did you ever think I thought your motivation was anything but that?

Like other fundie/born-again/evanglicals, the routine is the same. Correct their beliefs that do not agree with us, frighten them with hell, and accept or discard them according to what they believe.

This website page is here for the purpose of DISCUSSING Christianity, not converting non-Christians. You and the likes of you have never understood that simple fact. Some years ago, one misguided moderator posted that the page was FOR believing Christians, not for non-Christians. His error was soon corrected, presumably by the owner.

Post all you want about your beliefs, and your Bible readings, but don't expect not to be challenged by other Christians or by non-Christians.
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2021, 03:56 PM
    Athos-

Talking nonsense is an insult to you? You have thin skin. You proposed a logical fallacy, a straw man of God's power, that is nonsense. I am beginning to think your goal in life is to say as much as possible...too bad, it doesn't say much.

Get your bible out and read it if you are so confounded. Satan = Cherubim = Four Faced Beast. I'm sorry you can't see that, it is written plain as day in Ezekiel, I guess your reading comprehension is lacking though.

I could care less what you believe, your brain is made of mud apparently, what the bible says and what you say are in stark contradiction.

Lets make a game of this, since you refuse to let any topic advance beyond some inability to understand the most basic of thoughts, how about you just go on insulting everyone, and I'll go on insulting you.

I'll start.

This beauty is from the one who chastises others for nasty language and insulting remarks. It is hard to believe he has left himself so open for others to see his all-too-obvious hypocrisy.

For a wonderful example of infojunkie's evangelical mind-set, all should read his post #191. It's breathtaking.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jul 17, 2021, 03:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Oh, such terrific testimony and witnessing! My heart nearly bursts with joy at seeing examples of believers expressing and sharing Jesus' love here on these boards!
    Ok...that's fair. I got carried away. Please accept my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    This beauty is from the one who chastises others for nasty language and insulting remarks. It is hard to believe he has left himself so open for others to see his all-too-obvious hypocrisy.

For a wonderful example of infojunkie's evangelical mind-set, all should read his post #191. It's breathtaking.
    I am sorry. That was uncalled for.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2021, 09:08 PM
    You are looking for those areas that show (in your words) "certain prejudices". Did you ever think I thought your motivation was anything but that?
    What difference does that make? I freely admit I am prejudiced towards believing the Bible. I think it's for very good reasons, but I certainly don't let that make me shrink away from answering straight forward questions. Why do you?

Like other fundie/born-again/evanglicals, the routine is the same.
    Yet another of the ad hominem attacks you claim to dislike. If you can't answer the arguments, then attack the persons. Even worse, it is flatly an untrue statement since I just told you recently I am not a "fundie" or anything that fits your definition of an evangelical. You remember? That was yet another occasion where you asked me questions and I answered them. Remember??? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...42#post3871642

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...87#post3871687

You are also disparaging the concept of being born again which Jesus said is absolutely essential for entering the Kingdom of God. Is that yet another statement of Christ's you refuse to accept?

This website page is here for the purpose of DISCUSSING Christianity, not converting non-Christians.
    Where does it say that? Do you think you get to decide? But it does, rather sadly, seem to be a clear statement by you that you are a "non Christian". That's tragic.
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2021, 08:47 AM
    What difference does that make? I freely admit I am prejudiced towards believing the Bible. I think it's for very good reasons, but I certainly don't let that make me shrink away from answering straight forward questions. Why do you?
    I reply to any and all legitimate questions. As you just admitted, your questions are designed to display your prejudices and that is not a very good reason. You just don't get it - never have.

Yet another of the ad hominem attacks you claim to dislike.
    I reject ad hominem attacks unless they originate with you. Then you get a taste of your own medicine. Like others of your religious ilk, you can't seem to discuss Christianity without soon attacking the person.

it is flatly an untrue statement since I just told you recently I am not a "fundie"
    A fundamentalist/evangelical/born again is anyone who reads the Bible literally. Believing in talking reptiles clearly puts you in that category. Do you deny that?

You are also disparaging the concept of being born again which Jesus said is absolutely essential for entering the Kingdom of God.
    No, I am disparaging your concept of being born again.

Is that yet another statement of Christ's you refuse to accept?
    No, it's yet another example of your limited grasp of discussions here.

from Athos
    This website page is here for the purpose of DISCUSSING Christianity, not converting non-Christians.
    Where does it say that? Do you think you get to decide?
    It is self-evident that Q&A sites are NOT for proselytizing. Now that you admitted you don't go along with that, it tells us all we need to know about you and what you post on these pages.

But it does, rather sadly, seem to be a clear statement by you that you are a "non Christian".
    This bizarre non-sequitur tells us more about your mind-set as so many of your statements do. I will say this much for you - your mental meanderings are always there in plain sight for anyone to take the measure of your mind.

That's tragic.
    Another beauty from you! The world of non-Christians is hardly tragic. What is truly tragic is your sick belief that Jesus sends all who don't believe in him to hell for punishment for all eternity. Nothing is more tragic.

Your belief in talking reptiles is close behind. Not tragic so much as idiotic.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 09:11 AM
    Ok...that's fair. I got carried away. Please accept my apologies.
    You have a lot to offer. Let's work together!

the concept of being born again which Jesus said is absolutely essential for entering the Kingdom of God.
    What does being "born again" mean to you?
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2021, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    You have a lot to offer. Let's work together!
    Infojunkie4life has sent me a message that he is sorry for his behavior and recognizes he should do better. He is leaving AMHD after a decade here and hopes that we find the truth someday.

I replied as below:
    Apology accepted. It's always good to recognize hard truths about oneself, no matter how long it takes.

I hope you too will find the truth someday.
    My message was returned as undeliverable since Info had previously elected not to receive internal messages. So I'm posting it here in the hope that he will see it.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2021, 10:18 AM
    I reject ad hominem attacks unless they originate with you. Then you get a taste of your own medicine. Like others of your religious ilk, you can't seem to discuss Christianity without soon attacking the person.
    Always one to excuse your own behavior.

If there is a more legit question than whether or not you believe in the resurrection, I don't know what it is.

Everybody reads the Bible literally. When you quote passages, you take their meanings to be literal. Your definitions of fundamentalists/evangelicals are just that. Your definitions.

No, it's yet another example of your limited grasp of discussions here.
    Yet another ad hominem attack with no meaningful response to the question raised. Predictable.

It is self-evident that Q&A sites are NOT for proselytizing
    It is to you. Believe it or not, not everyone is compelled to abide by your personal beliefs.

This bizarre non-sequitur tells us more about your mind-set as so many of your statements do. I will say this much for you - your mental meanderings are always there in plain sight for anyone to take the measure of your mind.
    Aside from your lack of understanding as to what a non-sequitur is, you can easily solve the problem by a simple statement of your belief. Oops. I forgot. That would require you to actually answer a meaningful question, something which you seem loathe to do.

Shame to see Info go. He had some good statements.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 10:49 AM
    Everybody reads the Bible literally. When you quote passages, you take their meanings to be literal.
    Huh? The first lesson we are taught is that, in addition to historical events, the Bible contains poetry, parables, allegories, wise sayings, uplifting songs, prophecies. Lessons two and three are how to tell the difference and what the purpose of each is.
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2021, 11:14 AM
    I am certainly not referring to any lessons you have taught. I have no reason to follow that. But even in your world, are you saying that you never take the Bible literally? You have quoted passages here that you took quite literally, have you not?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 11:21 AM
    I am certainly not referring to any lessons you have taught. I have no reason to follow that. But even in your world, are you saying that you never take the Bible literally? You have quoted passages here that you took quite literally, have you not?
    Nor am I referring to "any lessons I have taught".

Those are lessons every new Bible student is taught. Please reread what I had posted.

I don't take the figurative portions of psalms literally. Are there parts of the Bible you do not take literally?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2021, 11:28 AM
    Please reread what I had posted.
    No thanks.

Are there parts of the Bible you do not take literally?
    Answer a question with a question? Did you and Athos go to the same school of evasion?

At any rate, to show you how it's done, I'll give two passages I take figuratively and tell you why. The first is at the beginning of John 10 where Jesus refers so a door, a shepherd, sheep, and thieves and robbers. Then we read in verse 6, "This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them." He then goes on to explain the allegory.

There is also the passage preceeding John 16:29. After Jesus has spoken in very literal terms, His disciples say, “Lo, now You are speaking plainly and are not using a figure of speech."

We could look at many others. The parable of the sower of the seed in Mark 4, for instance, which Jesus then explains in very literal terms afterward. But they all bear the same marks. They are statements which are impossible to take in literal terms. Jesus is not a door, we are not sheep, and God is not growing plants in a field. However, we never are to follow the rule that the two of you seem to employ. When you encounter a passage which disagrees with your preconceived ideas, you simply dismiss as some sort of figurative language. You can never explain what the figurative language is to teach us, but you pass by it because you find it to be uncomfortable.

Now try answering my question.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 11:32 AM
    No thanks.
    You misunderstood what I had written, thus my request.
    Answer a question with a question? Did you and Athos go to the same school of evasion?
    I wasn't finished with my reply, and had added more to explain.
    At any rate, to show you how it's done, I'll give two passages I take figuratively and tell you why. The first is at the beginning of John 10 where Jesus refers so a door, a shepherd, sheep, and thieves and robbers. Then we read in verse 6, "This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them."
    What's your question? Where's your explanation of why you don't take it literally?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2021, 11:35 AM
    I accidentally posted my reply before I was finished. Please reread it.

I have no intention of hunting around for your statements. If you have something to clarify, then simply copy and paste your responses.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 11:39 AM
    I accidentally posted my reply before I was finished. Please reread it.

I have no intention of hunting around for your statements. If you have something to clarify, then simply copy and paste your responses.
    Wait! You refuse to go "hunting around" to read my additions, but I must scroll back in order to read yours?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2021, 12:13 PM
    I'll make it easy. It was precisely three posts above yours, but in the interest of being helpful, here you go.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...49#post3871849
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2021, 12:29 PM
    I'll make it easy. It was precisely three posts above yours, but in the interest of being helpful, here you go.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showth...49#post3871849
    And here is my very recent post that you spurned:

Originally Posted by jlisenbe

Wondergirl:
    Nor am I referring to "any lessons I have taught".

Those are lessons every new Bible student is taught. Please reread what I had posted.

I don't take the figurative portions of psalms literally. Are there parts of the Bible you do not take literally?

Now try answering my question.
    I have no idea what your question is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexmark genesis s815 [ 1 Answers ]

This same thing is happening to my printer... Lexmark genesis s815. All pages are printing blank. The ink is showing as full on the screen but it is not being delivered to print the pages... I am extremely fed up now. I have installed everything properly, this is my third Lexmark printer, so I know...

Translations of the meaning 'Genesis' [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for various translations of the meaning of Genesis (Birth, creation). The question overlaps into religious groups (Janana - Hindi). Can you help? Thanks.

Lifespans in Genesis (Bere****) [ 48 Answers ]

At synagogue recently there was a reading from the Torah about the age of Noah when he died. It said that he lived to be 950 years old. Afterwards I read some other passages from Genesis and lots of other people had super long lives, too. So: Did people just live longer then? Or, Did they...

View more questions Search