Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 31, 2021, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    What are you so mad about?
    Huh? I never get mad. Never have, never will.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Aug 31, 2021, 04:04 PM
    Does an allegory write a song?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SlQVF3gnPdg
    Where do we come to the understanding that Jonah was dead while inside the belly of the whale?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 31, 2021, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Where do we come to the understanding that Jonah was dead while inside the belly of the whale?
    It's an allegory, reflecting Jesus' being dead for three days in the tomb and being resurrected on the third day. (Do you understand the activity of the hydrochloric acid in a great fish's stomach, and the lack of oxygen?)

Aug 31, 2021, 04:37 PM
    Most People Don't know that Jonah (literally)Died (while in the belly of the Fish)?
    If not for psalms we could assume he was alive the entire time.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2021, 05:48 PM
    Yes. Case closed since, as you admitted and pointed out, the words you posted were not mine.

At any rate, your quote of me was a deceitful mess and you got caught in it. Get over it and move on.

Here is the quote - AGAIN!

"I'm asking about the resurrection to point out that believing in that event while belittling the serpent in Genesis 3 strikes me as strange ."

These are Jl's words - lifted direct from his post #366. The deceit is all Jl's. He wants me to get over it and move on.

A talking reptile would be less deceitful than Jl. At least, the reptile would exhibit intelligence.

Aug 31, 2021, 06:00 PM
    A talking reptile
    I'm sure this has been already brought up? What about the talking Donkey?
    Or is that another one of your allegories?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2021, 07:47 PM
    Here is the quote - AGAIN!

"I'm asking about the resurrection to point out that believing in that event while belittling the serpent in Genesis 3 strikes me as strange ."

These are Jl's words - lifted direct from his post #366. The deceit is all Jl's. He wants me to get over it and move on.
    And once again, the quote you attributed to me ("(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with".) is not in there. But this will help you. It is a site that explains the concept of direct quotations. I suggest you read it several times because you REALLY need to. It will help you to stop making a public fool of yourself. I'm really surprised WG, the grammar expert (I guess) has not stepped in to rescue you. Good grief you sure need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark

Now should you reach the place where you can show in that paragraph any place I said, "(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with," then we can pick this back up. Until then I am done with arguing about a concept my fourth graders understood. And I am very sure that any person reading this will come to the same conclusion.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 01:01 PM
    Now should you reach the place where you can show in that paragraph any place I said, "(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with," then we can pick this back up. Until then I am done with arguing about a concept my fourth graders understood.
    Here is your quote, word for word:

No matter what nonsense you post, you can't get away from the fact these are YOUR words. As was said elsewhere, you are simply playing games with words in a desperate attempt to deny what you said.

And I am very sure that any person reading this will come to the same conclusion.
    Of course, they will. You can't undo what has been done - see the last paragraph in your post # 366.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 01:49 PM

No matter what nonsense you post, you can't get away from the fact these are YOUR words. As was said elsewhere, you are simply playing games with words in a desperate attempt to deny what you said.
    I am happy to report you have finally figured quotes out. You have stopped insisting that these are my words ((I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with,") and figured out what my words really were. I feel as though we've had a minor victory in your education. Now that is not, of course, what you were insisting upon for the past few days. This is what we had then.

In your own words - "...(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with". It's in post 371 if anyone wants to check it out. Now that was outrageous on the face of it since you had to supply "I" and "you" to complete my supposed quote. But now you have at least posted what I said to begin with. And in that quote, if you pay anything even approaching careful attention, you will note that I said YOU were the one doing the belittling. "...while belittling the serpent in Genesis 3..."

Whew!! I'm glad you finally learned that lesson. It's been a hard pull, but I think it's been worth it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 1, 2021, 01:59 PM
    The serpent was a character in an allegory. The resurrection was the real deal.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 02:17 PM
    I am happy to report you have finally figured quotes out. You have stopped insisting that these are my words ((I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with,") and figured out what my words really were. I feel as though we've had a minor victory in your education. Now that is not, of course, what you were insisting upon for the past few days. This is what we had then.

In your own words - "...(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with". It's in post 371 if anyone wants to check it out. Now that was outrageous on the face of it since you had to supply "I" and "you" to complete my supposed quote. But now you have at least posted what I said to begin with. And in that quote, if you pay anything even approaching careful attention, you will note that I said YOU were the one doing the belittling. "...while belittling the serpent in Genesis 3..."

Whew!! I'm glad you finally learned that lesson. It's been a hard pull, but I think it's been worth it.

Too funny for words!

Bottom line - Jl has admitted what he wrote. All's well that ends well.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 02:29 PM
    And Athos has admitted that he made up the first quote he attributed to me. So yes, it has ended well. BTW, I never denied saying what you finally managed to figure out were my actual words. It was only the part where you said, "In your own words," but it was actually your made up words, including words you had to supply yourself in parenthesis, that I objected to. Now the real deal, where I said YOU were belittling a topic, was indeed mine, and I like it a lot!
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 07:21 PM
    And Athos has admitted that he made up the first quote he attributed to me.

I admitted nothing of the sort. In fact, I have been consistent from the start of this idiocy you practice so well.

The rest of your reply is the usual discombobulation, not worthy of a response.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 07:34 PM
    You mean you’re not capable of one. Just when I think you are starting to understand quotations, you disappoint me again. It’s back to the fourth grade for, young fella! Can’t promote you until you get it!!

Study this very carefully. Test tomorrow!

https://www.thoughtco.com/direct-quotation-composition-1690461
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 07:49 PM
    Study this very carefully. Test tomorrow!
    Will you be covering talking reptiles? And a fictitious monstrosity of a God who creates people only to gleefully watch them burn in eternal pain and punishment?

No wonder the "God" you worship can't love unconditionally - what monster could?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 07:54 PM
    You are wasting time! Study tonight. I hope to help you get to the place where you no longer publicly disgrace yourself in this manner. And trying to change the subject?? Looks really, really suspicious.

Remember now. Test tomorrow! Burn the midnight oil, young man.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 08:03 PM
    Remember now. Test tomorrow!
    No comment on talking reptiles? Or your monster "God"?

Are you finally feeling ashamed? Growing up? Good for you. Better late then never.
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 08:20 PM
    Study!! Test tomorrow, little fella. You want to end up in third grade??

Here are some study notes. I'm doing all I can to help you. It's one of the biggest challenges I've ever had, but I'm doing the best I can with you.
    A direct quotation is a report of the exact words of an author or speaker and is placed inside quotation marks in a written work. For example, Dr. King said, "I have a dream."
    Now you know this by tomorrow.

Sample item. "If someone foolishly tries to represent this as a quote, "(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with," but then can't show where the quoted material occurred or can't explain why he had to supply words to make the supposed quote make sense, then can that person claim to understand anything at all about direct quotations?

a. Nope
    b. Hardly
    c. Nada
    d. Nein
    e. No way
    f. All of the above

Not feeling good about your chances. Oh well. Good night, all.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2021, 08:22 PM
    A direct quotation is a report of the exact words of an author or speaker and is placed inside quotation marks
    You mean like this - "talking reptile"? Or, ""God"?

Are quotation marks now one of your many obsessions, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"?
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2021, 08:25 PM
    Sample item. "If someone foolishly tries to represent this as a quote, "(I) would belittle any answer (you) would come up with," but then can't show where the quoted material occurred or can't explain why he had to supply words to make the supposed quote make sense, then can that person claim to understand anything at all about direct quotations?

a. Nope
    b. Hardly
    c. Nada
    d. Nein
    e. No way
    f. All of the above

#2. If the person in the question above refuses to admit his error, then could his attempted deception be classified as a lie?

a. yes
    b. yes
    c. yes

#3. If the person in the question above attempts desperately to change the subject, would that show that he realized his error and is trying to run from it?

a. absolutely
    b. absolutely
    c. absolutely

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lexmark genesis s815 [ 1 Answers ]

This same thing is happening to my printer... Lexmark genesis s815. All pages are printing blank. The ink is showing as full on the screen but it is not being delivered to print the pages... I am extremely fed up now. I have installed everything properly, this is my third Lexmark printer, so I know...

Translations of the meaning 'Genesis' [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for various translations of the meaning of Genesis (Birth, creation). The question overlaps into religious groups (Janana - Hindi). Can you help? Thanks.

Lifespans in Genesis (Bere****) [ 48 Answers ]

At synagogue recently there was a reading from the Torah about the age of Noah when he died. It said that he lived to be 950 years old. Afterwards I read some other passages from Genesis and lots of other people had super long lives, too. So: Did people just live longer then? Or, Did they...

View more questions Search