Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 02:25 AM
    Sydney Australia lockdown
    With 2 surges heading their way ,Sydney has decided to punish themselves by imposing another lockdown .
    The first surge is an increases in Delta variant (formerly called the India variant ) . The other is mice on the rampage.

Under the new lock down residents are only permitted to leave their homes for essential work, education, to receive a COVID vaccine, to seek medical care, outdoor exercise and to shop for food or other essential items. Those who wish to exercise outdoors may only do so in groups of 10 or fewer.

Meanwhile a plague of mice has forced the closure of the Wellington Correctional Center in rural New South Wales state (about a 4 hr drive from Sydney) .The plague of mice have been ravaging the region for many weeks and will converge on Sydney by August (if it hasn't already reached the city) .

'Mice Rain' In Australia: Millions Of Mice Ravage Towns & Crops, Is Sydney Next? - YouTube
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    With 2 surges heading their way ,Sydney has decided to punish themselves by imposing another lockdown .
    What exactly would YOU have them do instead of "punishing" themselves in the face of a deadly virus?
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 03:39 AM
    I would not lock down for a couple dozen cases . But I'm sure il duce Cuomo can't wait to impose it again . The real question is why is the Aussie vaccination rate so low ?
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 04:03 AM
    I would not lock down for a couple dozen cases
    Isn't a surge more than a couple dozen cases?

The real question is why is the Aussie vaccination rate so low ?
    Isn't that all the more reason to lock down?
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 05:19 AM
    I don't believe in locking downs . I think free people should be appalled at the idea . I also don't think it is effective .

COVID Lockdowns May Have No Clear Benefit vs Other Voluntary Measures, International Study Shows (newsweek.com)

Danish study suggests local lockdown had no effect on SARS-CoV-2 infection rate (news-medical.net)

Lockdowns Do Not Control the Coronavirus: The Evidence – AIER

When we did not know how covid spreads then it may have made sense for a limited time . That was the original logic ;to not overwhelm the hospitals . Now that we know more about the disease a more targeted response is rational based on risk factors . A general lockdown is oppressive and not needed .

did you get your excelsior pass yet ? lol only il duce Cuomo could make it up
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 09:10 AM
    I think free people should be appalled at the idea
    I'll never understand this attitude about "free people". I could name a million rules that "free people" are forced to do for various reasons, like public safety.

I also don't think it is effective .
    We'll have to disagree on that one.

Now that we know more about the disease a more targeted response is rational based on risk factors
    That is what the lockdowns have been - targeted according to the situation. Sometimes total, sometimes partial.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 27, 2021, 09:15 AM
    I don't believe in locking downs . I think free people should be appalled at the idea . I also don't think it is effective .
    "Free" people too often become dead people.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2021, 12:03 PM
    It's only the expanded use of monopoly money that enables these lockdowns. One day that will come to a sad end, and the result is not going to be pretty.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 12:52 PM
    It's only the expanded use of monopoly money that enables these lockdowns.
    True that and the technological advances that allowed thing like Zoom meetings ,and Uber eats .I ask why were there no draconian authoritarian lockdowns for other pandemics prior to covid ? Jobs were destination a short time ago . Zoom ad virtual work were not possible When I went down with the virus I relied on grocery deliveries after I chose what to get on a virtual menu .During the dotcom craze there was an online grocery delivery service called Webvan . It was a big time bust even though it was ahead of it's time . The technology was just not there .Amazon only delivered books . The covid lockdowns would not have been possible 20 years ago. So it was capitalism's innovations that made these lockdowns possible .

Politicians believe in 2 roles ;spend money and 'do something' .That means create "crisis " and attempt to fix the crisis they invent .

"Free" people too often become dead people.
    The left doesn't believe free people will make rational decisions in their self interest . Shortly after the virus began all the experts knew the high risk and low risk demographics . In NY the reason the death toll among the elderly was so high was because il duce Cuomo ignored that . I still wear masks except in my home and outdoors even though all mask mandates have been removed in South Carolina . Why ? Because I understand my own personal vulnerabilities .

Free people do not have to be told to lock in place if they know the personal risks . They are perfectly capable to make that choice on their own without big nanny .

The truth is that since we only had the lockdowns we will never know if they were effective . But the links I provided make a case that there was a rational alternative .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 03:11 PM
    Ok let us set the record straight, the rate of infections is growing rapidly and those of us outside of Sydney don't want the potentially infectious travelling since it seems casual contact is sufficient for infection. The infections started in eastern Sydney and have since infected the whole region and it has even been carried right across the country. Secondly there is no mouse plague on the east coast, the mice have not crossed the ranges. This variant of covid is highly infectious, just being in proximity is sufficient, so as a free people we have decided to take public health measures which include a mask mandate, ban on non essential travel, and large gatherings are banned

What is concerning here and has forced action is the number of community acquired cases. Previously cases were related mainly to overseas travel but now we have community transmission

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...elta/100248456
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 03:44 PM
    clearly the mice are in the west
    Mouse plague 'invades' Wellington prison, forcing hundreds of prisoners and staff to evacuate - ABC News The prison is 4 hrs from Sydney

Why is the Aussie rate of vaccinations so low ? Only 4.7% vaccinated .
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 03:57 PM
    Most vaccines have to be imported, the locally manufactured Astra Zeneca vaccine is restricted to the older age group because of occurrence of blood clots in younger people. Because of a low infection rate the sense of urgency wasn't there for the imported vaccines, call it a mis judgement. An Australian developed vaccine gave false positives for HIV and was discontinued. The vaccination rate for older Australians is high but the young have been slow to get vaccinated, the Delta strain changes to game and has been shown to be highly infectious and may be air borne

The reason for lockdown in Sydney is the low vaccination rate among the now more vulnerable younger population
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 04:47 PM
    So it was capitalism's innovations that made these lockdowns possible
    An incredible statement requiring no comment.

The left doesn't believe free people will make rational decisions in their self interest. Free people do not have to be told to lock in place if they know the personal risks . They are perfectly capable to make that choice on their own without big nanny.
    Then how do you explain the millions who refuse to get vaccinated? Are they rational? Apparently, they need big nanny.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 05:36 PM
    23 % have not been vaccinated . Almost half of those have concerns about side effects . That is a rational reason for not getting it .Past experiences with health services, family histories, all play a part .

You may disagree with their reasoning . Nonetheless it is a rational reason. I know someone who has been fighting the side effects of the last vaccine they had more than 3 years ago . Id say that person's reasoning is very rational .

Hundreds of healthcare workers have refused to take the vaccine . They are making a rational choice . The most common reason is how quickly the vaccine was developed, insufficient safety and effectiveness data.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2021, 06:57 PM
    Then how do you explain the millions who refuse to get vaccinated? Are they rational?
    As stated earlier, their refusal basically affects no one other than themselves. I can't imagine why it's considered to be anyone's business but theirs.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 07:34 PM
    Look there appear to be problems with all the vaccines, Astra Zeneca has a history of blood clotting in younger persons but the death rate is low, Physer causes you to get the flu for a couple of days, Moderna isn't available yet. There are rumoured to be long term issues with the vaccines so people are hanging back because the infection rate has been low. The shutdown comes on medical advice and the doctors are panicking because they think they won't be able to cope with high infection rates, thus prevention is better than cure. Shutdown proved effective in Melbourne now at zero infections.

Meanwhile the supermarket shelves are once again being stripped of that vital edible toilet paper. Did the most expensive shop this morning I think I have ever done so prices? drought and flood affected supply and the damn virus are a triple wammy not to mention the mouse plague which is doing nothing for the wheat crop
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I can't imagine why it's considered to be anyone's business but theirs.
    You're clueless about how the virus spreads. Unvaccinated people can be asymptomatic and are the source of contagion.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2021, 08:12 PM
    Yes he is clueless about a lot of things. it is better to take precautions than not and a lassi faire attitude is unacceptable
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2021, 03:07 AM
    Seems simple to me . If the vaccine is as effective as claimed then those vaccinated are protected . Those not vaccinated are taking the risk .
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2021, 03:58 AM
    Seems simple to me . If the vaccine is as effective as claimed then those vaccinated are protected . Those not vaccinated are taking the risk .
    Agreed. I would add that those not vaccinated are putting others at risk also in addition to themselves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jail in lockdown [ 2 Answers ]

Hello my boyfriend is in north county corectional facility in California I have not heard from him in about 4 days I think the jail is on lockdown is normal for him not to call me he calls me like 10 times a day so I'm really worried does anybody have any idea what could possibly be n does lockdown...

Stuck on Lockdown [ 5 Answers ]

Hey , I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now , and just recently he has told me that I'm not allowed to drink anymore and go out to town anymore. His reason is because he's insecure and he worries when I go out I will met someone or get hit on etc. I was quite mad about it and said your...

Stuck. Lockdown. [ 119 Answers ]

Sneezy here. Oh boy, it's been a while since I've asked a question, but perhaps you wiser folks could give me some sort of wisdom. So, I have a girlfriend. Things have been, for a lack of a better word, fantastic. Can't really complain much about the relationship. I'm back here for the...

Sydney's cheeks are swollen and red [ 10 Answers ]

Hi everyone, First let me say that I will be taking Sydney to the doctor today, sadly my family doctor Is out of town so I'll be taking her to a walk in clinic. I don't trust walk in clinics, I've Had bad experiences with them before. I'm just looking for opinions, this came on so...

View more questions Search