Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    most arrested will have trespassing charges at best .
    You must be listening to Trump or OAN Cable.

Acting U.S. Attorney Sherwin said "almost all" of the cases charged in federal court have involved "significant federal felonies" with sentences between five and twenty years.[3] Many have been charged with assault on law enforcement officers; "violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol ground";[3] trespassing; disrupting Congress; theft or other property crimes; weapons offenses; making threats; and conspiracy.[11] Some criminal indictments are under seal. The majority of cases are in federal court, while others are in D.C. Superior Court.[12]
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos
    Nothing like it has been seen in the US since the Civil War. Yet, "no way" was that an insurrection, you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Muenter
    On July 2, 1915, Muenter hid a package containing three sticks of dynamite with a timing mechanism set for nearly midnight under a telephone switchboard in the Senate reception room in the United States Capitol, Washington, D.C. His original target had been the Senate chamber, which he found locked. The bomb exploded at approximately 11:40 PM resulting in no casualties. Muenter wrote a letter to The Washington Star under a pseudonym R. Pearce, explaining his actions, which was published after the bombing. He said that he hoped the explosion would "make enough noise to be heard above the voices that clamor for war. This explosion is an exclamation point in my appeal for peace."
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_United_States_Capitol_shooting
    The 1954 United States Capitol shooting was an attack on March 1, 1954, by four Puerto Rican nationalists wanting Puerto Rico's independence from US rule. They shot 30 rounds from semi-automatic pistols from the Ladies' Gallery (a balcony for visitors) of the House of Representatives chamber in the United States Capitol.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/bomb-explodes-in-capitol-building
    A bomb explodes in the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., causing an estimated $300,000 in damage but hurting no one. A group calling itself the Weather Underground claimed credit for the bombing, which was done in protest of the ongoing U.S.-supported Laos invasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_United_States_Senate_bombing
    The 1983 U.S. Senate bombing was a bomb explosion at the United States Senate on November 7, 1983, motivated by United States military involvement in Lebanon and Grenada. The attack led to heightened security in the DC metropolitan area, and the inaccessibility of certain parts of the Senate Building.
    Quote Originally Posted by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_United_States_Capitol_shooting
    The 1998 United States Capitol shooting was an attack on July 24, 1998, which led to the deaths of two United States Capitol Police officers. Officer Jacob Chestnut and Detective John Gibson were killed when Russell Eugene Weston Jr., entered the Capitol and opened fire.
    History is not so simple. Lets not forget the time anthrax was sent to DC or the time a plane almost bombed the capitol. Maybe not so many people entered the building, but the damage and devastation has been far more severe in many instances.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2021, 08:40 AM
    What would you call it when 500+ men (more like 1,000+ men), variously armed,
    I wouldn't get too carried away with the "variously armed" comment lest it appear that all 500 were armed. That is far removed from the truth.

"But 23 people have been charged with having deadly or dangerous weapons during the assault — including a loaded handgun found on a man arrested on Capitol grounds." So there was one gun, and the other 22 had, "...baseball bats, chemical sprays, a captured police officer’s riot shield, a crowbar, fire extinguishers and a metal flagpole."

An insurrection armed with...ONE gun? Doesn't seem to pass muster to me. "OK men. Charge!! Show em what a fire extinguisher can do!"

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/03/ca...ty-of-weapons/
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 08:58 AM
    Most Capitol riot offenders won’t face hefty prison terms, legal experts say. - The Washington Post

Many Capitol rioters unlikely to serve jail time - POLITICO

70 % of those arrested are not being held . They must be a terrible threat to the country .

Democrats’ message is not resonating because they overstate everything. They argue that a very serious incident, organized by a few fanatics, to interrupt the certification of the 2020 presidential election is equivalent to the foreign terrorists who hijacked four planes, flew them into the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and a Pennsylvania forest, killed more than 3,000 people, injured thousands more, and caused billions of dollars in damage.
    They appeal to the visceral by calling the Jan. 6 incident an “insurrection” even though they know the legal definition is not met.
    Democrats, even in the Judiciary hearing, argue that the rioting for the past year is merely a series of peaceful protests and simply an exercise of First Amendment rights, but paint everyone who came to the Capitol on Jan. 6 as “insurrectionists” attempting to take over the government.
    Democrats learn hard truths about Capitol breach | TheHill
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 23, 2021, 09:06 AM
    From your Hill article....

"BY REP. ANDY BIGGS (R-ARIZ.), OPINION CONTRIBUTOR — 06/15/21 07:30 PM EDT THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY CONTRIBUTORS ARE THEIR OWN AND NOT THE VIEW OF THE HILL"
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 09:39 AM
    I added it because it is what I have been saying since January . What about the Compost and Politico sources ?
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by InfoJunkie4Life View Post
    History is not so simple.
    These are not even close to the Jan 6 insurrection.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    70 % of those arrested are not being held . They must be a terrible threat to the country .
    I'll go with US Attorney Sherwin.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 03:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL SHERWIN
    After the 6th, we had an inauguration on the 20th. So I wanted to ensure, and our office wanted to ensure that there was shock and awe, that we could charge as many people as possible before the 20th. And it worked because we saw through media posts that people were afraid to come back to D.C. because they're like, "If we go there, we're gonna get charged." ... We wanted to take out those individuals that essentially were thumbing their noses at the public for what they did.
    "Significant federal felonies" = "Shock and awe"

I love that last part "We wanted to take out those individuals for...thumbing their noses at the public"

Not exactly law and order talk, but we'll get those dumb insurrectionists.

Too bad Kamala's bail fund isn't for those kind of insurrectionists...they might get out and kill and rape just like those darn peaceful protestors.

Here is a running list of who was charged and for what, most are unsealed.

Heads up, 25 are there for curfew violations. The only guns that were found were on people who didn't enter the capitol, but were violating curfew, one arrested the next day for stuff in truck. 4 more by my count.

A lot of these only passed a barricade, or entered the building, simply to leave a few minute later, IE the trespassing charges.

"Steal, Sell, Convey or Dispose of Anything of Value of the United States" means picked up something off the ground that didn't belong to you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 04:03 AM
    Even with all that surveillance footage and congressional commissions, we still don't know who put those bombs in the bushes. Who got off the antifa bus -Paul Sperry. Why some people got $1,000 to show up 2:26:48. Who killed Ashli Babbit? Who was handing out weapons. Why were there no police? Who is John Galt (Sullivan). (Needed to throw that one in there, lol)

Then the conspiracies abound!
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 04:56 AM
    Who is John Galt (Sullivan). (Needed to throw that one in there, lol)
    My all time favorite literary character .

Who killed Ashli Babbit?
    normally the left is quick to name a cop who kills a protester . The DOJ has chosen to not press charges against the officer .

His name is Lt. Mike Byrd . The 5th column ....ooops I mean the 4th estate media has known this from the beginning but still refuse to officially name him . Besides this incident he was in the news for leaving his loaded glock-22 unattended in a bathroom in the Capitol in 2019 .
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 06:26 AM
    Here is a running list of who was charged and for what, most are unsealed.

Heads up, 25 are there for curfew violations. The only guns that were found were on people who didn't enter the capitol, but were violating curfew, one arrested the next day for stuff in truck. 4 more by my count.
    At least 40 are accused of committing conspiracy, one of the most serious charges brought. At least 96 are accused of committing acts of violence, particularly against police. At least 42 are suspected of causing property damage, like breaking windows or doors to gain entry to the building. At least 30 are accused of theft, like the man photographed carrying House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's lectern or one woman who allegedly took a laptop from Pelosi's office.

Why do right-wing evangelists deny the facts so often about the Jan 6 insurrection? After following that bunch for over a year now, it's looking like they will sell their soul for anything supporting their politics. Bad enough for the usual right-wing fringe, but for self-proclaimed Christians?

My part describing those accused is directly from the link cited by infojunkie. Could his part citing 25 curfew violations be possibly any more misleading than it already is?

I'm at a loss to understand why Christian evangelists are so devious.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 06:54 AM
    Athos, you are an idiot. No, one is claiming there was no crime. What happened on Jan 6 was despicable.

No one is denying what happened, this is the most documented crime of the century. What's a up for debate is why the media uses such foul language describing a "right wing" crime, while other clear acts of violence are wonderful acts of downtrodden people.

One might even argue the media is responsible for creating such an atmosphere where violence is lauded and the left wing political class for encouraging these while failing to enforce laws that would have put an end to such nonsense.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 07:18 AM
    Your bigotry against christians and right wingers is noted.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 07:39 AM
    Athos, you are an idiot
    You couldn't provide rational answers in the previous discussion, and you can't provide them here, so I'm the idiot.

No one is claiming there was no crime.
    You're very wrong there. At least one Republican stated it was a typical day with tourists and cameras. In general, the Republicans have played it down like you did with your "running list" citing only curfew violations. Why did you omit the serious crimes?

What happened on Jan 6 was despicable.
    NOW you say it - after you were called on the absurdity of your comment.

No one is denying what happened
    You certainly implied it wasn't much in your post #30. You made it seem like a walk in the park with your sarcasm.

This is the most documented crime of the century.
    Then why are you so casual about it (#30)?

What's a up for debate is why the media uses such foul language describing a "right wing" crime
    Wrong again, what is up for debate is why the Republicans voted down an investigation into the "crime of the century".

As to the "foul language", the media covered it exactly for what it was - a right-wing insurrection incited by madman Trump. When you see the truth as foul language, you have a problem.

While other clear acts of violence are wonderful acts of downtrodden people.
    You're deflecting. A typical tactic of the right-wing. Aka "whataboutism" as if the one excuses the other.

One might even argue the media is responsible for creating such an atmosphere where violence is lauded and the left wing political class for encouraging these while failing to enforce laws that would have put an end to such nonsense.
    No, only an idiot would make such an argument, and you fit the bill.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 08:37 AM
    I love you too.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2021, 09:33 AM
    Funny to see Athos complaining about a lack rational answers.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Jun 24, 2021, 10:49 AM
    InfoJunkie
    One might even argue the media is responsible for creating such an atmosphere
    And Athos:
    No, only an idiot would make such an argument
    InfoJunkie:
    most arrested will have trespassing charges at best.
    Athos
    You must be listening to Trump or OAN Cable.
    Funny to see Athos complaining about a lack of rational answers.
    Funny indeed.
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2021, 04:09 PM
    read about this arrested " insurrectionist " .

FBI tears New Yorker's life into shreds: Devine (nypost.com)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Town of creepy people who all seem to have a secret. Stranger comes into town. [ 2 Answers ]

What was that movie called where the man goes into a town and it's filled with evil people who all seem to have a secret and who are not going to let him leave alive. I can't remember if they're cannibals and plan on eating him. It might have been a TV movie. I think it was from the late 70s or...

Bear town?smal plastic bear town from80's or 90's?had gray and brown bears and trees [ 0 Answers ]

Was a small bear town they were gray and brown and you had trees and I cannot remember what it was called or anything else about it. But was wondering what it was called.

Mother left child in care of parents and father is out of town of town working [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has custody of the child and father has joint custody of the child .Mother has left child with her parents for four days now. Her father(grandparent ) just contacted the father to let him know that she has not returned home and is recorded to have a drug problem in the past which was...

If I go school in a different town and that town secedes can I go to school there? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently live in a town, but attend school in another town, and the town that I go to school in secedes from the county, can I still go to school there? It's a public school. I live in Cook county, and 5 towns are trying to secede from it. My school is in that list, however, where I live is...

View more questions Search