Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2021, 11:36 PM
    Gun Boat diplomacy in the Indo-Pacific?
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...f8f491fb41c46c

I thought the US were our allies, but it appears we are going to be sacrificed on the alter of Taiwan. Taiwan is the last remnant of the nationalist Chinese and they have had a dream run, but China could overwhelm them in a blink, well let's say a day, and without all out war there is nothing the US could do about it, other than drawing it's allies into a sanctions regime which could ruin economies without any hope of the result being reversed. What Biden and his hawks don't understand is China has been carefully planning this for decades
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 05:19 AM
    but China could overwhelm them in a blink
    I don't believe that is true .They have invested heavily on high price systems in their defense ;and could invest even more in systems designed to take a heavy toll on the PRC Navy if they attempt a cross channel invasion. These asymmetrical systems are not nearly as costly as a fleet of F-16s and other air defense systems ;but just as effective for the purpose of defending invasion routes . Some of these include fast mine laying ships ;man-pads precision guided munitions coastal defense cruise missiles ,antiarmor weapons, a fleet of fast attack boats that swarm as the Iranians deploy them ;stingers hidden on fishing vessels ,etc. All these would disrupt a Chinese invasion .They should invest in drone subs if they have not already done so.

Yeah the Chinese have been gaming this for decades ;as has Taiwan and their allies . To make an amphibious assault of that magnitude would require months of build up on the coast so the whole world would know it is coming . Bottom line is that I do not believe the Chinese would attempt it if confronted with a united front . If the free world abandons Taiwan or the Chinese sense a weakness in the commitment to a free Taiwan then yes they probably will assume the risk is worth the gamble . But with or without help ,the Chinese know that as of today ,they would pay a heavy price .

If you are so willing to see another free people fall to the Chinese tyranny then the Aussies could leave the Quad . How do you figure that Aussie gets "sacrificed " ? If you are so beholden to trade with China then it is your own strategic miscalculation; just as our trade relations were probably a misguided attempt to bring China into the world of civilized nations .
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 05:41 AM
    Your jingoistic response is what I expected, sending a carrier group to intercept Australia-China trade is a step too far. Don't worry Tom it is just more of your beggar my neighbours foreign policy we all know and love
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 07:34 AM
    Why are you getting worked up over the strange musing of David Llewellyn-Smith ? What evidence does he have that such a move is even contemplated outside of his own head ? The US is not dictating your relationship with the Chinese . It has gone south all on it's own because the Chinese can't be anything but bullies . You should just be thankful that you don't have a common land border with them . Just ask Tibet and India what happens when the Chinese decide to flex . Look in your own mirror and stop seeing 'blame America first ' as your mantra .
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 04:04 PM
    I only blame america for the thoughts and policies that emerge in america, america first is not a good thing as Trump may have thought, since the other 95% of the planet may have thoughts and aspirations too. For too long we have fallen in line with you.

Our relationship with the Chinese has gone south because we march in lock stop with you. It doesn't matter to your other allies, they are, for the most part, far away and concerned with other issues
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 04:39 PM
    No ,the growing distrust of Aussies about the Chinese is due primarily because the Aussies believe that China acted irresponsibly in the release of Covid from the Wuhan lab ;and it's cover up . oh and because China is holding 2 Aussie journalists as political prisoners and using $20 billion in trade as a weapon against Australia .Thankfully only 23% of Aussies want to appease China .I presume you are in that small minority .
    China action favoured by Australians on Huawei, trade: Resolve Political Monitor (smh.com.au)
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2021, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    No ,the growing distrust of Aussies about the Chinese is due primarily because the Aussies believe that China acted irresponsibly in the release of Covid from the Wuhan lab ;and it's cover up . oh and because China is holding 2 Aussie journalists as political prisoners and using $20 billion in trade as a weapon against Australia .Thankfully only 23% of Aussies want to appease China .I presume you are in that small minority .
    China action favoured by Australians on Huawei, trade: Resolve Political Monitor (smh.com.au)
    I am in the small minority of informed Australians, I suspect there is a similar minority in the US. I don't want to appease China, appeasement is the way to domination. We can take the lessons of WWII to heart. However, we have loud voices when it comes to Chinese treatment of their own minorities, and yes, we did give voice to the thoughts of others over covid 19, not it appears without some evidence and rather than wait for you, we were quick to act. maybe we thought our trading relationship gave us some leverage, sadly it didn't. We have a long history of calling a spade a spade, where as you prefer to shovel the B/S
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2021, 03:13 AM
    Thankfully the majority of your nation disagrees with you.
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2021, 02:42 PM
    Baa, Baaa, Baaa, do you hear the bleating of sheep? a sound foreign to US shores but well known here. The majority of my nation doesn't have a thought one way or another, they are too preoccupied with local outbreaks of covid 19, immunisation failures, quarantine failures and such like. Meanwhile the economy recovers
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 22, 2021, 07:10 PM
    The Chinese still holding boats of dirt hostage? Better get your dirt before they use it and refuse to pay.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2021, 03:45 PM
    Yes better boats of dirt than a nation. The Chinese think they have the upper hand but their policies have caused more disruption to their own economy. They fail to realise only a small part of our economy is actually reliant on supplying them. Our industries are highly mechanised

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recourse on a boat dealer that broke my boat [ 1 Answers ]

I brought my boat to a registered colbalt dealer in the beginning of April. They looked at boat and said it was minimal fixing (just a few hoses) and quoted me a price. In May when it was supposed to be done I got no answer. Waited two more weeks (missed having our boat on Memorial weekend) and...

Indo anglian poems [ 1 Answers ]

I want 5 great indo anglian poems. How can I get the best way ?

Germanic indo-European language! [ 1 Answers ]

hi all :) I am studying english language history.. and I need little help with something... :confused: I want to write an essay about indo-european language= centum = germanic but I couldn't find any thing about the germanic :( well.. the teacher said we should write about the (germanic+ west...

US-Indo Tax Treaty Exemptions [ 4 Answers ]

Hello TaxExperts, I am working in OK, US on H1. It's the tax time of the year, and I would like to get maximum returns. Are there any exemptions under the US -Indo tax treaty that are beneficial to a person in my place? Under what "section" will such an exemption be available? I have been...

My boat and dock where destroyed by neighbors broken loose boat during hurricane [ 3 Answers ]

As I said above, during hurricane Wilma my neighbors boat broke loose from its mooring and floated down to my dock, two homes away, and proceeded to smash my boat and dock until the storm was over. My dock was destroyed and my boat was knocked off the lift and sank, Do I have any recourse, as my...

View more questions Search