Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2021, 06:11 AM
    "Voter Suppression" in Europe
    Turns out voter ID laws are much more widely accepted than liberal dems would have us think.

"Of 47 nations surveyed in Europe—a place where, on other matters, American progressives often look to with envy—all but one country requires a government-issued photo voter ID to vote. The exception is the U.K., and even there voter IDs are mandatory in Northern Ireland for all elections and in parts of England for local elections. Moreover, Boris Johnson’s government recently introduced legislation to have the rest of the country follow suit."

https://www.dailysignal.com/2021/06/...3kfejDqgKBFn8U
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2021, 06:22 AM
    Lots of non citizens there, it makes sense
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2021, 07:30 AM
    Lots of non citizens here as well, so makes perfect sense.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2021, 10:44 PM
    Hey, I'm with you, voter ID doesn't disenfranchise anyone, so long as it is free and freely available. Here, we solved all this problem, compulsory voting, so there can be no debate, we also have lots of prepolls available. We see voting not only as a right but an obligation. The issue is not complicated
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2021, 04:10 AM
    I'm not sure what "problem" you solved. I don't think an overbearing government is the answer. I also don't think everyone voting is the answer. This issue is simply trying to ensure a fair and honest election. Forcing, by threat of arrest, everyone to vote does not solve that problem.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2021, 04:13 AM
    it is Soviet style coercive . Dictatorships always have high voter participation
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2021, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    it is Soviet style coercive . Dictatorships always have high voter participation
    Are you suggesting Australia is a Soviet style dictatorship?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 09:35 AM
    Do Australians arrest those that don't vote Clete? I thought a possible $20 dollar fine was the penalty for not voting.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 09:48 AM
    And there must be polling places accessible to voters -- or mail-in ballots sent to homebound voters after the county election office has verified their credibility.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2021, 10:52 AM
    And there must be polling places accessible to voters -- or mail-in ballots sent to homebound voters after the county election office has verified their credibility.
    Two reasonable ideas, but how do you verify the identity of a homebound voter? Do they need to visit every home and ask for a pic ID?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Two reasonable ideas, but how do you verify the identity of a homebound voter? Do they need to visit every home and ask for a pic ID?
    When I do business by phone with my bank, they ask me not only secret ID questions but also tricky multiple-choice ones that only I would know the correct choice. (And those multiple-choice ones change at each call.) My county election office asks me different ID questions before they send me a ballot application, plus, after I complete that and sign it and send it back, they check my answers and compare my signature to the one they have on file.

No photo ID is required. Hairstyles, weight, hair colors, expressions change over the years. I look back at my old driver's licenses and wonder who that woman is.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2021, 11:43 AM
    When I do business by phone with my bank, they ask me not only secret ID questions but also tricky multiple-choice ones that only I would know the correct choice. My county election office asks me different ID questions before they send me a ballot application, plus, after I complete that and sign it and send it back, they check my answers and compare my signature to the one they have on file.
    OK. How do they establish the answers to the "tricky questions" in the first place? They had to establish that it was you establishing the answers and the PIN. How did that happen?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 11:51 AM
    OK. How do they establish the answers to the "tricky questions" in the first place? They had to establish that it was you establishing the answers and the PIN. How did that happen?
    I've banked with them since 1974. They have no problem coming up with tricky multiple-choice questions based on my banking history.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2021, 11:54 AM
    So they ask you tricky questions concerning your past banking practices? Well how would that work in voting? Would they ask you tricky questions concerning your past voting practices?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 12:04 PM
    So they ask you tricky questions concerning your past banking practices? Well how would that work in voting? Would they ask you tricky questions concerning your past voting practices?
    They don't know my past voting practices.

I was simply telling you that banks do this verifying too.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 3, 2021, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    They don't know my past voting practices.

I was simply telling you that banks do this verifying too.
    LOL, I know what you mean. I'm too old to even remember half the stuff I did 10 years ago, let alone 20. In fairness though governments and private companies are being hacked and cyber attacked for ransom at an alarming rate and verification of identity is NOT as simple thing as it use to be. Covid certainly added another degree of difficulty, and older voters have always been targets of voting shenanigans, and scams.

Nobody is really safe or that secure so I can understand the even abnormal concern for all kinds of security issues that affect not just voting but everyday life. Not letting repubs off the hook for their incessant whining about ID's and such but it shouldn't be dismissed or ignored even if their agenda is quite clear, and has little to do with voting security.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Voter ID/Suppression [ 1282 Answers ]

Hello: The right wing tells us they only want to insure the INTEGRITY of the vote.. Then why does THIS right winger think it's to insure a Romney victory? Pennsylvania state House Republican Mike Turzai got very candid in a speech to the state's Republican committee. He said that newly...

Voter suppression didn't work, so they're trying to steal elections another way.. [ 42 Answers ]

Hello: Republicans who live in the blue states that are run by red legislatures and Republican governors, have hatched a NEW plan to reverse the will of the people. Instead of the winner taking ALL the electoral college votes, they want to ascribe those votes to congressional districts. If...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

View more questions Search