Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2021, 06:34 PM
    Typical Republican Abuse Of Truth
    This statement is from Repub Rep Lauren Boebert.

"Since removing the mask mandate two months ago, Texas has not reported a single COVID death. Not one."

FACT: According to the state's own records, more than 3,000 Texans have died of the coronavirus since the mask mandate was lifted.

This gross lie is just one example of the Republican abuse of truth since they have become the Trump Cult. This cult is the greatest threat to the American experiment with democracy since its founding.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2021, 09:23 PM
    Athos you speak of "the american experiment with democracy" but the US is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic. If Trump taught you anything it must be that democracy is a yearning, not a fact

So you speak of distortion of facts, what you speak of is just one more
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 12:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Athos you speak of "the american experiment with democracy" but the US is not a democracy, it is a constitutional republic. If Trump taught you anything it must be that democracy is a yearning, not a fact

So you speak of distortion of facts, what you speak of is just one more
    "Democracy" is the accepted term. Nobody thinks it means a system like the ancient Greeks had.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 04:57 AM
    not a lie . She just misspoke talking points she was given . She was focused on Governor Abbott's May 18 Order ,not from 2 months ago. The pattern is the same . Fact checkers dispute only what Republicans and conservatives say . Then the response from the drones is ..... oh they are such liars !
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    "Democracy" is the accepted term. Nobody thinks it means a system like the ancient Greeks had.
    democracy is term that has many meanings, communists call their countries democracies, americans sought to impose their form of democracy on Iraq, most countries that use the term are far from democratic. these days it just means some form of representative government
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 30, 2021, 05:26 AM
    Still has a long ways to go to catch up to AOC's lie about being in the Capitol Building on 1/6 and HC's lie about landing under fire in Bosnia. Lying is scarcely the sole domain of the repubs.

Then the response from the drones is ..... oh they are such liars !
    Just about right.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 05:43 AM
    democracy is term that has many meanings,..................... these days it just means some form of representative government
    True it's an inexact term. But it serves its purpose in a broad sense describing the US government and others like it.
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 04:00 PM
    it serves the purpose of allowing government by a select few
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:48 AM
    Democracy is the system where the majority can vote other's rights away .

Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos
    . John Marshall
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Democracy is the system where the majority can vote other's rights away .
    Not always. The Bill of Rights protects minority positions.

Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos. John Marshall
    Marshall's understanding of democracy is not the understanding the term connotes today. He understood democracy as one-citizen-one-vote on every single piece of legislation. Today we (USA) have a representative democracy, or a republic if you will.

it serves the purpose of allowing government by a select few
    No, that's an oligarchy. The US government is elected by the people. It's a representative democracy.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 05:22 AM
    No, that's an oligarchy. The US government is elected by the people. It's a representative democracy.
    That's correct. I have no idea how Clete could look at our elections and conclude that it is, "government by a select few."
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That's correct. I have no idea how Clete could look at our elections and conclude that it is, "government by a select few."
    Given your population you are ruled by less than one thousand at the federal level, that's a small percentage, with one man at the pinnacle directing policy, sounds fairly select to me. Look, most governments are like that, but it doesn't make for a balanced system
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 05:42 AM
    you are ruled by less than one thousand at the federal level, that's a small percentage, with one man at the pinnacle directing policy, sounds fairly select to me
    That's true...sort of. Our system spreads authority over both the feds AND fifty state governments, so the correct figure is many thousands. Still, as you said, your statement would be true of all democracies including yours, so I'm not sure what your point is. It does illustrate why I am in favor of a small federal government. It limits the damage they can do.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 05:59 AM
    It does illustrate why I am in favor of a small federal government. It limits the damage they can do.
    yes indeed
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 06:09 AM
    Given your population you are ruled by less than one thousand at the federal level, that's a small percentage, with one man at the pinnacle directing policy, sounds fairly select to me. Look, most governments are like that, but it doesn't make for a balanced system
    You are equating "ruled" with the legislative branch of the federal government. That branch does not "rule", it makes law leaving the "ruling" to others. The president does not "direct" policy, he enforces it although one could make an argument that "enforce" and "direct" are synonyms in this case. In terms of numbers the federal government has millions employed.

As jlisenbe noted, there are also the state governments. There's much more that could be said about the issue, but I'll leave it to you if you want to clarify.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 07:22 AM
    You are equating "ruled" with the legislative branch of the federal government. That branch does not "rule", it makes law leaving the "ruling" to others. The president does not "direct" policy, he enforces it
    Good description. And they are all subject to recall in elections. "Ruled by" was a clumsy description.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 07:48 AM
    While we're on the subject of untrue statements, let's direct our attention to Biden's recent comments on gun control.

He said that firearms purchased at gun shows are exempt from background checks. That is basically untrue.

He said that gun manufacturers have total immunity from being sued. That is laughably untrue.

So the leader of the dem party is engaging in untruths. Are you concerned?

Biden's nominee to head ATF is David Chipman. He has proposed that people who lie on federal gun forms should go to prison. Hunter Biden unquestionably lied on the forms used to purchase a gun. Will he go to jail?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:29 PM
    Hunter Biden did other things too and he hasn't gone to jail, no he will get a slap on the wrist
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 03:36 PM
    he will get a slap on the wrist
    Might not even get that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can a person be so abnormal to physical abuse,and sexually abuse? [ 2 Answers ]

My,cousin was missing for 2 yrs. And was on crystal meth for a long time but,she also was mentally abused,and most likely sexually abused.She is not the same anymore she lost her self being,and is always wanting sex,she steals,lies,and agrees to everything,she doesn't know who she really is...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

What did you think about the Republican convention? [ 13 Answers ]

What did you think about the Republican convention? Was it better or worse than the Democratic one?

Democratic or republican [ 2 Answers ]

Is Iowa considered democratic or republican

Democrat/republican who? [ 5 Answers ]

Are you going to vote democrat or republican and then who are you going to vote for? If you vote.

View more questions Search