Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2021, 05:21 AM
    Hot topic of the weekend
    This Memorial Day weekend will be a major grilling day ;and hot dogs will be on the menu for many .
    A hot topic in the sports world is the question : Is the hot dog a sandwich ?

Pro Athletes and Sports Stars Settle the Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich? Debate - InsideHook

We need to decide this topic on the Current Events board .

While you are at it , do you eat hot dogs ;which brand , how do you cook them ;what do you put on them ? You can answer this even if you don't eat them or even if you eat the veggie franken-franks ?

I'll go first . My favorites are the dirty water hot dogs sold by the vendors with food carts on the streets of New York . I have them with spicy mustard ,sauerkraut ,and occasionally with hot dog onions ( a sweet and spicy mix of cooked yellow onions in a base of tomato paste ) At home I grill Nathans hotdogs . My favorite bun is Vermont Bread potato buns
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2021, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    This Memorial Day weekend will be a major grilling day ;and hot dogs will be on the menu for many .

Pro Athletes and Sports Stars Settle the Is a Hot Dog a Sandwich? Debate - InsideHook

While you are at it , do you eat hot dogs ;which brand , how do you cook them ;what do you put on them ? You can answer this even if you don't eat them or even if you eat the veggie franken-franks ?

I'll go first . My favorites are the dirty water hot dogs sold by the vendors with food carts on the streets of New York . I have them with spicy mustard ,sauerkraut ,and occasionally with hot dog onions ( a sweet and spicy mix of cooked yellow onions in a base of tomato paste ) At home I grill Nathans hotdogs . My favorite bun is Vermont Bread potato buns
    Important issue.

My favorite was the guy with a cart on 43rd St. and 12th Ave under the West Side Highway across from where the ocean liners docked at the Hudson piers and in front of the big UPS building.

He was an old guy from God knows where and I usually got one with those red onions. Sometimes with the spicy brown mustard and kraut.

These days I buy Sabrett in the store (natural casing) and throw them in a pan with a little butter to crisp 'em up. I have no preference for buns - any old bun will do.

Veggie franks are an evil commie-conspiracy plot.
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2021, 01:33 PM
    Sabrett is an outstanding dog and I forgot to stipulate that only dogs in natural casing will do . The one you are talking about is by the Intrepid Museum . I used to drive into town and park in one of the garages by the river . Then walk up restaurant row on 46th ....grab a brunch and catch an afternoon Broadway matinee
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2021, 05:30 PM

Tom I know hot dogs are an american thing born of the german bratwurst, but from an antipodean perspective I am partial to the occasional dog with Australian mustard but far prefer a good meat pie as a quick snack which if eaten properly doesn't drip sauce all over your tie

a good aussie pie is the repast of billionaires so I'm in good company
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...rell/100164178
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 30, 2021, 06:00 PM
    I'll take a Zweigle's red or white hot with ketchup (Rochester, NY) or a Chicago-style hot dog (yellow mustard, pickle relish, finely chopped white onion, halved tomato slices, sport peppers, and a dill pickle spear, all on a poppy-seed hot dog bun -- and NO ketchup!).
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:19 AM
    Clete I have had the Brit version of meat pie and right ;it is a greasy mess . I like spicy mustard so would probably like the Aussie version .

WG I have had the Chi-town version . Too many fixings for my taste .

I will add one of my favorites that I forgot to mention . It is an Alsatian dish called Choucroute garnie . It takes all day to prepare and the hot dog is only one of the delicious meats in the sauerkraut stew (brats ;pork loin also )
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I'll take a Zweigle's red or white hot with ketchup (Rochester, NY) or a Chicago-style hot dog (yellow mustard, pickle relish, finely chopped white onion, halved tomato slices, sport peppers, and a dill pickle spear, all on a poppy-seed hot dog bun -- and NO ketchup!).
    Good grief! What planet u from, lady? Ketchup on a hot dog? Next you'll be touting Chicago pizza - which is not real pizza like the NY neighborhood slices made by real Italians. A hot dog is not the kitchen sick with everything thrown on it - tomatos??????????????? Peppers???? Chopped onion?? You left out strips of bacon and a glob of potato salad.

Clete - hmmm, meat pie sounds interesting. I may fly down there this weekend to check it out.

Then there's always the Philly cheesesteak on hero bread. A masterpiece! But you gotta be in Philly.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post

Clete - hmmm, meat pie sounds interesting. I may fly down there this weekend to check it out.

Yes there are lots of different ones, I like steak and kidney, but they even have curried ones, and the pubs serve pie and peas
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 06:01 AM
    Then there's always the Philly cheesesteak on hero bread. A masterpiece! But you gotta be in Philly.
    provolone or cheese wiz ?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 06:38 AM
    provolone or cheese wiz ?
    Forgive me for saying this, but I'm pretty sure the real thing was made with cheez-whiz. Don't tell WG I said that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2021, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Next you'll be touting Chicago pizza - which is not real pizza like the NY neighborhood slices made by real Italians.
    I ate a chunk of a Chicago deep-dish pizza once. Never again! A white pizza (no tomato sauce but has melted cheese on it) with chopped spinach is good as is the pineapple-ham pizza.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 10:38 AM
    Pineapple has no place on a pizza. Pretty sure that was a Chinese idea.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Pineapple has no place on a pizza.
    I used to think the same thing. Then one day my niece made me eat a slice with pineapple and ham and the damn thing was delicious - I was shocked! And I wasn't even in Hawaii.

A white pizza (no tomato sauce but has melted cheese on it) with chopped spinach is good as is the pineapple-ham pizza.
    Agree the white pizza is very good. I wonder if they have that kind in Naples - original home of pizza.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 12:11 PM
    I used to think the same thing. Then one day my niece made me eat a slice with pineapple and ham and the damn thing was delicious - I was shocked! And I wasn't even in Hawaii.
    I must confess I've only tried it once. Old dog...new tricks. Oh well.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 31, 2021, 02:16 PM
    Raised on Oscar Meyer hot dogs on plain buns with ketchup and mustard (mayo is just as good), nothing beats Nathans restaurant franks with any wrapping especially flour tortillas, cheese, lettuce tomatoes with a side of chips or fries. Nothing except of course Chicago-style Vienna sausages or smoked depending on location and availability (What nobody remembers those great dogs and polishes outside of Home Depot? Tsk tsk!) Dogs and sausages may be longer but still are great lunch (Dinner) SAMMICH options when you need a break from the burgers and ham and cheese or SUBS (A whole nuther mouth watering mind blowing subject of discussion!)

You guys are making me hungry...you won't like me when I'm hungry...8D
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Raised on Oscar Meyer hot dogs on plain buns with ketchup and mustard (mayo is just as good),
    I intend to make a formal complaint charging taliman with gross malfeasance - OSCAR MEYER? that stuff is ground tuna fish. With ketchup is bad enough, but MAYO? Did he really say MAYO? That white stuff? He should have his hot dog card revoked.
    This calls for a serious letter to The Times.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:25 PM
    maybe he is confused with Aioli
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 03:34 PM
    Tal and I must have been raised next door to each other. I ate many a hotdog on a plain bun with ketchup and mustard. Still would eat them that way, but I do prefer them grilled and with some pickles and relish. Keilbasa is definitely a step up, but we didn't live up there with the high class folks in my childhood.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2021, 03:34 PM
    I'll add Boars Head beef franks in natural casing .Cooked right just before the casing splits you are treated to the perfect flavor and texture that a frank should have . To cook properly you use a frying pan and preheat the water ;about a half inch . Then put the dogs in and let the water evaporate .Let it briefly fry But do NOT let the casing split .

Oscar Meyer is mystery meat.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2021, 03:39 PM
    I worked in a packing plant after I got out of college. I guess I got so used to seeing the different meat products that it just didn't bother me. Still doesn't. I LOVE to eat a can of potted meat with saltine crackers. I guess it reminds me of a summer job I had in a saw mill when I was 18. I'd lay down on a conveyor belt at lunch, eat my potted meat and crackers, and feel like a prince. I suppose I sweated so much that the salt was needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HFT This Weekend [ 1 Answers ]

I know this gets asked a lot and after searching and browsing for the better part of two days I thought I would post and ask the question myself. I was a heavy marijuana smoker for about four months this past year. I smoked at least every other day from mid December 2012 until mid April 2013. I...

Looking for weekend job. [ 5 Answers ]

I'm still going to elementary school so I need a weekend job, or an after school online job. I can work in and out the house. Also, if it was an online job I am very good at writing (for my age) as I have already been published into a book about 10 times and have four on the way to getting...

Opinionn Piece Topic, please help, topic idea due tomorrow! [ 0 Answers ]

I am in grade 8 and need an idea of what to write about for an opinion piece. (if you are viewing this please please answer, the topic idea is due tomorrow and I can't think of anything) The topic can be on anything at all (appropriate for school) just something I have an opinion on. I don't...

Something for the weekend... [ 3 Answers ]

Eye have a spelling cheque err It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key & type a word And weight for it two say Weather I am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee four two long

View more questions Search