Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 11:51 AM
    The Israeli response with their jet aircrarft destroying civilian centers in Gaza including dozens of children wasn't proportional either.
    My suggestion would be for Hamas the international criminals and terrorists to stop establishing HQs in civilian areas and to stop storing rockets and weapons in schools ,hospitals and places of worship .
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 12:02 PM
    What do you think is proportional to the launching of 3,000 rockets?
    What would the US response be to 3,000 rockets being fired across the border . OH wait . we have Quid in office ...... never mind
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 17, 2021, 12:28 PM
    He would put KH in charge of our response. After all, she's the southern border czar now. Hasn't held a press conference in nearly two months, but she's the one in charge. How much confidence does that give you?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    What would the US response be to 3,000 rockets being fired across the border .
    What would the US response be if another country came to the US and began evicting US citizens from their own land?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2021, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    What would the US response be if another country came to the US and began evicting US citizens from their own land?
    Are the Palestinians the descendants of the Canaanites that the OT God ordered the Israelites to kill and then claim their land, identified as the "Promised Land"?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 04:28 PM
    As I recall the US kept the territory it conquered in Mexico
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 05:29 PM
    If this is a biblical discussion I am gone. None of the stuff you hear about 'evictions ' is fact . Btw . Since when did Hamas need any reason to start raining rockets on Israel ? Rockets have been fired into Israel from Gaza ,and Lebanon repeatedly since at least 2000. It is rare that Israel responds beyond interception with the Iron Dome .

The Sheikh Jarrah properties is a private dispute that was settled by the Israeli courts . The Jewish complainants have had their claim confirmed in court . The truth is that Israeli courts have gone out of their way to avoid evicting the Palestinian squatters who haven’t paid rent for 50 years . The properties in question were purchased in !875 ;long before the Israeli state existed . The truth was that when Israel went independent ,the Jordanians invaded the new state ;occupied half of Jerusalem and evicted legitimate Jewish land owners . Jordan then transferred some of the property titles to Arabs and let other properties be occupied

Israel then beat Jordan in the 1967 war , Still the Israelis honored the transferred titles .

These properties are NOT at issue.

The issue is with properties that were occupied by Palestinians but were NOT transferred away from Jewish ownership . In those cases the Israeli courts honor the title of the Jewish owners despite the fact that Palestinians have unlawfully occupied these properties . These are the properties that have had evictions .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 17, 2021, 05:52 PM
    If this is a biblical discussion I am gone.
    I was just wondering if this hatred goes back millennia, to Old Testament times and even before. What groups of people have moved into and maybe been forced out of this area, and why? I then found an interesting article in Britannica:
    https://www.britannica.com/place/Can...on-Middle-East
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Are the Palestinians the descendants of the Canaanites that the OT God ordered the Israelites to kill and then claim their land, identified as the "Promised Land"?
    No the Palestinians are Arabs, descendants of Ismail. Until the seventeenth and eighteenth century, Palestinine was a sparcely populated backwater of the Ottoman empire. The Canaanites were not Arabs, nor are they Philistines, the only ancient race that had claim on Gaza. Like the current Jewish occupants they are all immigrants at one time or another. The argument the God gave the land to the Jews is mote, the Jews didn't live up to the promise and were expelled by the Persians and the Romans
    Uber Member

May 17, 2021, 07:13 PM
    And after 1900 years, they got the land back. Only time in history any country was reconstituted after that length of time. The amazing aspect was that the Jews maintained their ethnic identity for all of those centuries.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 09:28 PM
    Yes but that is a matter of religion as much as race, the jews were vilified for centuries and therefore kept close in their own communities
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 11:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    As I recall the US kept the territory it conquered in Mexico
    That was the Vietnam of the 19th century. Only difference the US won. Even Lincoln opposed the War with Mexico. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2021, 11:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Palestinine was a sparcely populated backwater of the Ottoman empire.
    Your "sparsely populated backwater" is somebody else's home.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2021, 01:32 AM
    I was just wondering if this hatred goes back millennia, to Old Testament times and even before.
    Territorial claims are tricky in a region where land has changed hands so many times .
    The History of the Middle East: Every Year - YouTube

The modern Israel -Palestinian conflict dates back to the end of WW I when the Ottoman Empire was carved up and the territory was part of the 'British Mandate ' . During the war ,Lord Balfour the Brit foreign minister promised the Jews a homeland in the territory in return for support of the Allies cause . Concurrently the Arabs were promised independence in return for a revolt against the Ottomans .
    Uber Member

May 18, 2021, 04:07 AM
    Yes but that is a matter of religion as much as race, the jews were vilified for centuries and therefore kept close in their own communities
    Many countries had what amounted to national religions. Only one stayed distinct for 1900 years.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 18, 2021, 06:03 AM
    The whole region is beset by all kind of little splinter groups and terrorist cells dedicated to fighting somebody for some reason or another. This is just another one of them and the Palestinians are caught between these groups and the Israelis who dominate in the name of their own security just like every other country who went to kick somebody's butt that they saw impeding their sovereignty and security and rights...or PURITY.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2021, 04:10 PM
    The modern Israel -Palestinian conflict dates back to the end of WW I when the Ottoman Empire was carved up and the territory was part of the 'British Mandate ' . During the war ,Lord Balfour the Brit foreign minister promised the Jews a homeland in the territory in return for support of the Allies cause . Concurrently the Arabs were promised independence in return for a revolt against the Ottomans .
    The British High Commissioner in Egypt (McMahon), The Sykes-Picot Agreement, and the Balfour Declaration. All three, made around the same time, promised different results after WW1 in Palestine for Arabs and Jews.

Why did the Jewish position take precedence over the Arab position?
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2021, 05:39 PM

Why did the Jewish position take precedence over the Arab position?
    It would not have needed to had it not been for Hitler's final solution and WWII. Those events gave new urgency to reestablishing a homeland for the Jews and why not a sparcely populated region of the ME and traditional home of the Jews? when the Arabs were given Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Arabia. You must not view the events in the microcosm of Palestine as the Palestinians want you to do. Jordan was established to be the homeland of the Palestinians but their hatred of the Jews led to war which they lost and they lost territory which remains part of the dispute today. The Palestinians want it all, they have never had any intention of sharing
    Uber Member

May 18, 2021, 06:31 PM
    It's amazing how the anti-Semites go on and on about the Jews. They occupy less than 1% of the land in the Middle East. It is land that was largely desolate before they got there and developed it. The Arab nations have expressed no great desire to accept the displaced Palestinians. They are, in truth, more welcome in Israel than in Arab countries. Israel is the one country in the ME genuinely committed to democracy and human rights.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2021, 08:32 PM
    Jordan has a large population of Palestinians and before the six day war had an even larger population. By not giving Israel proper defensible borders the UN set it up to fail. The Israelis showed proper resolve and deserve to stay and defend themselves against this irrational attack and the irrational demands of the Palestinians.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mid East erupts, and so does Romney [ 129 Answers ]

Hello: First off, why don't we shut that guy up down in Florida? Maybe our First Amendment is causing the Middle East to melt down... But, on to my post... Did Romney shoot himself in the foot? Should he have mouthed off before he knew the facts? Didn't he know that when American is...

Toilet - Main Siphon Jet erupts with bubbles [ 9 Answers ]

I've got a 6 year old toilet and in the past 5 months it has not been operating properly. Sometimes (but rarely) we get a good flush but most of the time a LARGE amount of air comes from the front of the toilet's main siphon jet and then no actual siphon occurs. I can get it to flush easily if I...

View more questions Search