Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 05:11 AM
    SC 2nd Amendment sanctuary state .
    Bills going through the state and the county I live in would make the state a 2nd Amendment sanctuary state .

Now as a concept I oppose states and locals that openly defy Federal laws that are constitutional by declaring themselves sanctuary states/localities .

However in cases of the 2nd amendment ,laws that the Feds make are most likely unconstitutional .

In order to protect that right in South Carolina, the lawmakers want the state attorney general to review any federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation related to the Second Amendment that might come down. Then, they want the attorney general to "issue a written opinion of its constitutionality."If the attorney general finds that the federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation related to the Second Amendment is unconstitutional, the state senators have a plan to stop the enforcement of it in South Carolina.
    Those plans include:

• not giving any public funds, personnel or property from the state to the implementation, regulation, or enforcement of that federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation;
    • not letting any official, agent or employee of the state, or any political subdivision of it, enforce or attempt to enforce that federal law, treaty, executive order, rule, or regulation.

If anyone were to take legal action against South Carolina for not following the federal law, the lawmakers write in the bill that the attorney general shall will defend the case.
    6 SC senators want to make the state a Second Amendment Sanctuary | WPDE

Beginning to really like my new adopted state .

WSJ has a nice write up of my new adopted city .
    The Breakout Cities on the Forefront of America’s Economic Recovery - WSJ
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 05:18 AM
    So SC is proving to be a rebel state once again
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 06:36 AM
    and our Governor just ordered an end to the mask mandates .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 07:10 PM
    more signs of rebellion
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    and our Governor just ordered an end to the mask mandates .
    And this is a good thing why?

Are you another one who balances his freedom re wearing a mask against the chance of people dying?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2021, 07:42 PM
    I'm actually glad you found a place you really like, but hope you get use to seeing a bunch of lawyers running around.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 13, 2021, 04:11 AM
    against the chance of people dying?
    Don't really see how a person can support and vote for those who favor nearly a million abortions a year but then claim to be concerned about "people dying".

SC is basically saying it will abide by the second amendment even when the feds don't.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 04:44 AM
    There is actually still a mask mandate for students on busses. I find that the people here have a different idea of what freedom means than NYers . I visited the state a few times in the last year before deciding to move here . I had to sneak in and out of NY to do so . People were wearing masks indoors as required . Beyond that I saw few who would wear them outdoors The local YMCA is full of people who work out ,and participate in athletic activities .People were wearing masks as required when walking in ;but quickly shed them once inside . No one tells them to do so ;but the people using the equipment routinely and almost obsessively wipe down the equipment with alcohol wipes after using them .

Yes Tal I like the state a lot . The 2 Senators are outstanding . The Governor seems good .As far as I can tell the local leaders get it . I posted the link to the WSJ article about Greenville . It is quaint by NY standards ;and I will probably have to go an hour north to Charlotte NC for the bulk of my cultural pursuits . I also have to go farther to do some real mountain hiking (I used to live in the gateway to a NY State park and could walk from my home to a number of trails ) .

My only fear is that there are many other NYers and people from blue states converging on the State and I hope they are not like carpetbagger locusts out to destroy the state by bringing their blue state attitudes with them .
    Expert

May 13, 2021, 08:26 AM
    Just relax and enjoy getting to know your new home and trying not to live in the old fears of your past. You can't tell a liberal from a conservative when you're picking out tomatoes so don't assume just enjoy.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2021, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It is quaint by NY standards ;and I will probably have to go an hour north to Charlotte NC for the bulk of my cultural pursuits . I also have to go farther to do some real mountain hiking (I used to live in the gateway to a NY State park and could walk from my home to a number of trails ) .

My only fear is that there are many other NYers and people from blue states converging on the State and I hope they are not like carpetbagger locusts out to destroy the state by bringing their blue state attitudes with them .
    Maybe you'll bump into my sis and her husband (Kodak retirees from Rochester) who live near Myrtle Beach! Sis and I were born in NC and spent many happy hours on Grandfather Mt. (the swinging bridge!). Just stay away from Myrtle Beach area right now because of the hoards of motorcyclists who can't buy gas (because of the pipeline problem). The residents of the Carolinas are wonderful and giving. Enjoy your retirement!
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 01:33 PM
    I went to Myrtle Beach and Murrell's Inlet recently so our dogs could compete in an Agility Trial . I was not terribly impressed to be honest Greenville is what they call upstate ;a little over an hour from Asheville NC . A couple of weeks ago we were in the Wake Forest area . That was nice .

I remember touring the Kodak plant years ago. Rochester and the whole upstate NY needs a revival like what is happening in Greenville . They should do to the High Falls area what Greenville has done to the Falls Park on the Reedy River. It almost identical . A former industrial area that had a water fall as a prominent feature . Today the Falls Park is the center of Greenville ; a very pleasant place to be . The old brick industrial buildings were preserved and converted to local shops .
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Don't really see how a person can support and vote for those who favor nearly a million abortions a year but then claim to be concerned about "people dying".
    Stop abortion at the source.

Vasectomies are reversible.

Make every young man have one.

When he's deemed emotionally and financially fit to be a father, it will be reversed.

What's that? Did the idea of regulating a man's body make you uncomfortable?

Then mind your own effing business!

(with thanks to AMHD member)
    Uber Member

May 14, 2021, 04:51 AM
    Mind your own effing business! Don't be concerned about the deaths of 900,000 human beings a year, killed for the crime of being inconvenient, not to mention millions of women condemned to lives of continual guilt. How dare you care! I will go on pretending to be concerned about human life and spouting silliness about government forced vasectomies while I hide behind phony arguments.

(paraphrase of the statements of an AMHD member who apparently could not come up with his own thoughts)
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2021, 05:12 AM
    btw CDC reversed it mask mandate recommendations yesterday. Maybe Governor McMaster was just ahead of his time .Or perhaps Quid , Harris and Fauci finally found Florida and Texas on a map.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2021, 05:33 AM
    I wonder what made yesterday somehow different from the day before???

Well, Harris/Biden have evidently now joined the the ones who balance their, "freedom re wearing a mask against the chance of people dying." What a cold world we live in!
    Expert

May 14, 2021, 06:10 AM
    The data came in, the CDC has said if you're fully vaccinated you can take off your mask, if not you better keep the doggone thing on. Simple.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2021, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I wonder what made yesterday somehow different from the day before???
    Science from the data gathered. You'll never get it, will you?

Well, Harris/Biden have evidently now joined the the ones who balance their, "freedom re wearing a mask against the chance of people dying."
    Keep up with the news and stop making a fool of yourself.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2021, 08:34 AM
    It was your quote they violated.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2021, 10:06 AM
    How much science is needed to figure out that a vaccinated person is safe outside not wearing a mask?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 14, 2021, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Stop abortion at the source.

Vasectomies are reversible.

Make every young man have one.

When he's deemed emotionally and financially fit to be a father, it will be reversed.
    OR, each girl, when she turns ten, is fitted with a chastity belt. When she is emotionally and financially fit to become a mother (after training courses and thorough testing and a marriage ceremony), the chastity belt will be unlocked at the door to the honeymoon suite.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court Rules Trump Can Withhold Funds From NYC & 7 States In Sanctuary Cities Fight! [ 100 Answers ]

The 2nd Court Of Appeals REVERSED a lower courts decision on the withholding of Federal funding to New York City and seven states in another victory for President Trump. This is a fight over immigration enforcement and the capacity for some of these large "progressive" municipalities to become...

The catholic aristocrat who was sought to build a sanctuary for his fellow believers. [ 1 Answers ]

-john smith -lord de la warr -james olgetorpe -sir walter raleigh -lord baltimore

Cat Sanctuary? Or something similar [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find ANY info on a cat sanctuary...or something like that. We just found out that our cat is diabetic. He needs insulin, special food, & special treats. The total for all that would be $150..+ every month. My Fiance & I are on disability so we...

Cat Sanctuary how to . [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone... this one's for my mom... Can anyone tell me how to get her licensed, sanctioned or what have you as a cat sanctuary? We are in NC, and she has nearly maxxed out everything on taking care of not only the animals I've written about below... but also any injured or hungry stray that...

State Return - Amendment - Required ? [ 1 Answers ]

If federal return is amended , please let me know whether State return also need to be amended even though there is no change in refund (already received) except change in filling status ?

View more questions Search