Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 11, 2021, 01:00 PM
    Hello fellow libs, forgive the conservatives for they have no clue what they're talking about, though they make noise like they do. They've always been that way but the dufus corrupted them deeply. Despite booting the dude from office, it's going to take a while to wean them from the red meat they crave like junkies chasing a fix. It's ugly but will get uglier before it gets better.

Enjoy watching their heads explode, and don't worry if they seem dizzy from running in a circle hollering for more. That's what they do best! Show some tolerance but keep the rocks handy.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 11, 2021, 02:36 PM
    The choice is plain.

Expert

May 11, 2021, 03:27 PM
    Same with the wall conservatives need to build?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2021, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Same with the wall conservatives need to build?
    Yes it keeps people out, but it also keeps people in. It is sort of like the Chinese road system, magnificent toll roads everywhere, but your every movement is logged
    Uber Member

May 11, 2021, 07:05 PM
    The wall does not keep Americans in, and it does not keep legal immigrants out.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2021, 07:18 PM
    A wall would not keep anyone in nor would it keep anyone out.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2021, 08:07 PM
    Then what is the point of it? Walls have successfully kept people out and people in in various places in the world
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 11, 2021, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Then what is the point of it? Walls have successfully kept people out and people in in various places in the world
    Successfully? Nope. Where?
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2021, 10:02 PM
    Israel and the west bank. East/West Berlin, Great Wall
    Uber Member

May 12, 2021, 04:16 AM
    It is foolish beyond belief to suggest that walls do not work. They do not work perfectly, but neither do airbags, door locks and window latches. No one suggests we stop using those. It is absolutely certain that a southern wall would greatly diminish illegal immigration and drug/human trafficking.
    Expert

May 12, 2021, 07:21 AM
    Why should I pay for your wall?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 03:21 PM
    But it would be your wall too
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2021, 04:44 AM
    To reply to Clete who said this post lacks empathy or compassion or some other liberal drivel ; yes there are SOME people claiming unemployment benefits as they search for work and try to stay afloat from the economic pain incurred during the self imposed pandemic recession .However ,the purposeful constriction of the labor market by the Quids are effectively a state sponsored labor strike. The only thing missing is the picket signs outside of the business.
    This serves the Dem narrative . Robert Reich tweeted that there is no labor shortage .“There is a shortage of employers willing to pay their workers a living wage.”
    Quid on Monday was an echo chamber for that sentiment . “People will come back to work if they’re paid a decent wage.” You would think he was a union strongman boss instead of the President .The difference is that the Dems have the power to dip into government red ink to attempt to jack up wages

Let me give you one practical consequence that I have seen since moving to South Carolina. Here when you walk into the grocery store there is one employee greeting you and offering a shopping cart . There are numerous employees keeping the shelves stocked and assisting customers . There is one employee at the register and one bagging groceries and offering to bring them to your car.

In NY there was unresponsive staff who could not even correctly tell you what aisle the groceries you want to purchase was in . There was a handful of clerks at the registers but the bulk of the check out was computer self check out .
    Forcing higher wages will bring an obvious reaction by employers .It will accelerate the pace of automation and other strategies to improve operation efficiencies without adding workers. . Those jobs will no longer be available .
    Right now because of the labor demand employers are sucking it up and hiring what they can. I even hear of monetary incentives being offered just to apply
    But eventually the generous benefits will run dry .September is the date . I do not believe there is the vote and the rationale to extend benefits further . At that point employers will get to pick and choose ;and if their employees are not productively at the top of their game ,there will be no reason to retain them.

If the government is going to spend taxpayer money on an employment program ,it should be on helping the lower skilled person obtain the training needed to compete in the labor market of the future . It should not be an incentive to take a government paid leave from the workforce .
    Uber Member

May 15, 2021, 05:06 AM
    About the only people calling for higher wages are the ones who aren't running a business and trying to stay afloat.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2021, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    To reply to Clete who said this post lacks empathy or compassion or some other liberal drivel ; yes there are SOME people claiming unemployment benefits as they search for work and try to stay afloat from the economic pain incurred during the self imposed pandemic recession .However ,the purposeful constriction of the labor market by the Quids are effectively a state sponsored labor strike. The only thing missing is the picket signs outside of the business.
    This serves the Dem narrative . Robert Reich tweeted that there is no labor shortage .“There is a shortage of employers willing to pay their workers a living wage.”
    Quid on Monday was an echo chamber for that sentiment . “People will come back to work if they’re paid a decent wage.” You would think he was a union strongman boss instead of the President .The difference is that the Dems have the power to dip into government red ink to attempt to jack up wages

Let me give you one practical consequence that I have seen since moving to South Carolina. Here when you walk into the grocery store there is one employee greeting you and offering a shopping cart . There are numerous employees keeping the shelves stocked and assisting customers . There is one employee at the register and one bagging groceries and offering to bring them to your car.

In NY there was unresponsive staff who could not even correctly tell you what aisle the groceries you want to purchase was in . There was a handful of clerks at the registers but the bulk of the check out was computer self check out .
    Forcing higher wages will bring an obvious reaction by employers .It will accelerate the pace of automation and other strategies to improve operation efficiencies without adding workers. . Those jobs will no longer be available .
    Right now because of the labor demand employers are sucking it up and hiring what they can. I even hear of monetary incentives being offered just to apply
    But eventually the generous benefits will run dry .September is the date . I do not believe there is the vote and the rationale to extend benefits further . At that point employers will get to pick and choose ;and if their employees are not productively at the top of their game ,there will be no reason to retain them.

If the government is going to spend taxpayer money on an employment program ,it should be on helping the lower skilled person obtain the training needed to compete in the labor market of the future . It should not be an incentive to take a government paid leave from the workforce .
    You certainly have it good with all that service, here we find things for ourselves in isles marked with appropriate signage, we have multiple checkouts and shopping trolleys so we don't have anyone assist us to the car park and the employees are all paid more than minimum wage
    Uber Member

May 15, 2021, 07:37 AM
    employees are all paid more than minimum wage
    I don't believe for one second that "all" of the workforce in Australia makes more than minimum wage considering that the minimum wage there, for those 21 and above, is about 18 dollars an hour. Here, only 2% of the American workforce makes minimum wage, so the net effect is about the same as "all". In my area right now, practically everyone is paying considerably above minimum wage.

For the record, 18 an hour seems kind of high, but I like your approach of allowing those under 21 to make less than 18 an hour. I could be talked into a higher min wage here if provision was made for young and new employees to be able to make less so they can still get jobs.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 15, 2021, 09:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    If the government is going to spend taxpayer money on an employment program ,it should be on helping the lower skilled person obtain the training needed to compete in the labor market of the future.
    Exactly! Start with education. Put together classes in middle school and high school that will help students identify their particular skills and abilities, teach them new ones, offer internships -- and keep this vocational program current with the times and with the needs of society.
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2021, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I don't believe for one second that "all" of the workforce in Australia makes more than minimum wage considering that the minimum wage there, for those 21 and above, is about 18 dollars an hour. Here, only 2% of the American workforce makes minimum wage, so the net effect is about the same as "all". In my area right now, practically everyone is paying considerably above minimum wage.

For the record, 18 an hour seems kind of high, but I like your approach of allowing those under 21 to make less than 18 an hour. I could be talked into a higher min wage here if provision was made for young and new employees to be able to make less so they can still get jobs.
    You really must learn to read, I didn't say all, I said all the employees, and yes we do have a lower wage for lesser skilled youth. It seems your minimum wage is similar to ours, however, there is a compulsory superannuation contribution as well, so it is actually higher, the cost of things far from the centre of things being higher
    Uber Member

May 15, 2021, 06:36 PM
    You really must learn to read, I didn't say all, I said those,
    It's exactly what you said. "and the employees are all paid more than minimum wage"

Perhaps you can point out the word "those" in your passage, a word which you claim above you used. "You certainly have it good with all that service, here we find things for ourselves in isles marked with appropriate signage, we have multiple checkouts and shopping trolleys so we don't have anyone assist us to the car park and the employees are all paid more than minimum wage."

Now perhaps you were only speaking of your local store. That's possible, but even then I would ask how you could know that they were ALL paid more than minimum wage?
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2021, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It's exactly what you said. "and the employees are all paid more than minimum wage"

Perhaps you can point out the word "those" in your passage, a word which you claim above you used. "You certainly have it good with all that service, here we find things for ourselves in isles marked with appropriate signage, we have multiple checkouts and shopping trolleys so we don't have anyone assist us to the car park and the employees are all paid more than minimum wage."

Now perhaps you were only speaking of your local store. That's possible, but even then I would ask how you could know that they were ALL paid more than minimum wage?
    I because they are all adults, some are even seniors and it is store policy, as it is a major chain. When will you get that when I comment on conditions here it is implied they exceed those there. I used to work for yanks who complained bitterly how much we were were paid without having reference to the cost of living, the distance, and the small population (size of market) they thought they could impose US standards here and the result is that people left for better wages and conditions elsewhere, me among them. You see we have a long history of labour laws which mandate fair wages and conditions and these cannot be undone at the whim of the employer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government should give unemployment allowance to the unemployed people till they get [ 7 Answers ]

Government should give unemployment allowance to the unemployed people till they get a job the argument in favour or against

Your government at work [ 5 Answers ]

On March 22, the Compost reported that federal workers in an underground cave are still processing retirement papers by hand. Inside a Pennsylvania limestone mine 230 feet below the earth, 600 employees of the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) process retirement papers for government workers....

Government Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

In older countries outside the USA, how long did it take before the people rose up and took a bad government into their own hands?

Can you work for the government with a misdemeanor [ 5 Answers ]

Can I get a job working for the FBI or some other government agency as a criminal psychologist if I have a petty theft misdemeanor on my record from when I was 19? I am about to start school, I am 33 now, and don't want to waste my time or money if I can't use my degree. Thanks

How I record a Land and building that the government give to a company? [ 2 Answers ]

The government give to the company the land and the building. I recognized the Asset in DR but what have in CR. Because if the company close have to return the land and the building to the sponsor. I do in cr long term liability but don't recognized the income and the PL don't show the amount of...

View more questions Search