Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 11, 2021, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yeh, Yeh, you had a bad trip getting on the Trump bus, but any failures are your own and have nothing to do with any supposed outside influence. I doubt you will do any better with a geriatric running things, he can't put two words together
    I think we will and the former and present leader are both geriatrics' and despite the advanced age the current guy will clean up the mess of the past old coot as we improve and be better for the mistakes we make. No shame in screwing up, and we can will have done better.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2021, 08:10 PM
    so tell me tal, how long is it since you did better? What an attitude, no shame in screwing up, with an attitude like that you can never succeed. It is just a race to the bottom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 12, 2021, 04:19 AM
    I would happily take Trump again, based on his results which were impressive, if he would learn to keep his big mouth shut and pledge to get to a balanced budget.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 05:17 AM
    JL they all pledge to get a balanced budget, then they get a dose of reality, that horse has bolted and has joined the wild bush horses (borrowed from an Aussie poem). You see talk is cheap, that is why Trump did so much of it
    Uber Member

May 12, 2021, 05:26 AM
    JL they all pledge to get a balanced budget, then they get a dose of reality,
    Sadly true, both here and in your country. But I don't agree that reality is what we have now. Reality is what we'll have when borrowing/printing money are no longer options.

"On 23 July 2020, the Australian federal government announced a forecasted budget deficit of $85.8 billion for the 2019-20 year. A budget deficit of $184.5 billion is forecasted for 2020-2021. This would be the largest budget deficit since World War II."

Seems like talk is cheap on both sides of the globe. A little cheaper over here to be sure, but cheap nonetheless.

https://financeforyoungaustralians.c...rld%20War%20II.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 12, 2021, 09:30 AM
    Be a long time before the USA can't borrow or print money and even longer before we get close to a balanced budget. Just reality. However growing and expanding the economy is doable and right around the corner.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Sadly true, both here and in your country. But I don't agree that reality is what we have now. Reality is what we'll have when borrowing/printing money are no longer options.

"On 23 July 2020, the Australian federal government announced a forecasted budget deficit of $85.8 billion for the 2019-20 year. A budget deficit of $184.5 billion is forecasted for 2020-2021. This would be the largest budget deficit since World War II."

Seems like talk is cheap on both sides of the globe. A little cheaper over here to be sure, but cheap nonetheless.

https://financeforyoungaustralians.c...rld%20War%20II.
    Yes the conservatives here have suffered a reversal of opinion, must be the aftereffect of covid recessional thinking, but the rhetoric of balancing the budget gets a little old after eight years and reaching the goal, which but for covid they did. You would make a great labor supporter, always critical

polispeak is everywhere, it is a human condition
    Uber Member

May 12, 2021, 03:47 PM
    Critical or truthful?

who on earth is more critical than you concerning the United States?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 05:07 PM
    Critical or truthful?

who on earth is more critical than you concerning the United States?
    I don't know the answer to that question, but somewhere in your soaring rhetoric is the answer. I am critical of your government, of your hypocrisy, of your superior to everyone else attitudes and above all, of the idea we owe you something. You are a wealthy country and therefore it is you who owe those who have little. Isn't this the Christian ideal you espouse? No, like everything else you say it is just talk
    Uber Member

May 12, 2021, 06:57 PM
    I don’t know who “you” is in that diatribe, but it’s not me.

as to charity, name the country that has engaged in more foreign aid and charitable giving than the United States. Who is even close?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2021, 07:09 PM
    I don’t know who “you” is in that diatribe, but it’s not me.

as to charity, name the country that has engaged in more foreign aid and charitable giving than the United States. Who is even close?
    Well my own country is in its own small way, it doesn't give tied aid, it doesn't promise and fail to deliver, as to my 'diatribe" yes it is directed at you also because you defend those things I enumerated as the failings of your nation
    Uber Member

May 13, 2021, 04:07 AM
    Well my own country is in its own small way,
    Not even close. "Small way" pretty much sums it up.

as to my 'diatribe" yes it is directed at you also because you defend those things I enumerated as the failings of your nation
    This is the heart of your diatribe.

1. "I am critical of your government, of your hypocrisy, of your superior to everyone else attitudes." I've never defended any of that.

2. "and above all, of the idea we owe you something." I think that is absolutely true.

3. "You are a wealthy country and therefore it is you who owe those who have little. Isn't this the Christian ideal you espouse?" No, it is not the "Christian ideal". The Christian ideal is that I, as an individual, should love my neighbor as I love myself. A Christian church should certainly exhibit love towards others. There is nothing in the NT about what a nation should do. You are simply wrong about that. It's your "criticize America at all costs" approach, which seems to border on hatred, exhibiting itself.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 03:25 PM
    You see you are like the priest in the story of the Samaritan. Your ideals extend only to your own people. You know as well as I do that Christianity is about relationship, individual relationship with God, it has nothing to do with nations and empires, however those individuals make up nations and collectively should act as an individual should act, with compassion
    Uber Member

May 13, 2021, 03:35 PM
    You know as well as I do that Christianity is about relationship, individual relationship with God, it has nothing to do with nations and empires,
    Exactly correct.

however those individuals make up nations and collectively should act as an individual should act, with compassion
    Which, I suppose, explains why the U.S. is FAR more generous in foreign aid AND in individual and group charitable giving than any other nation, and certainly including yours. Maybe you should follow your own advice in Australia before you start worrying about America.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 06:57 PM
    Exactly correct.

Which, I suppose, explains why the U.S. is FAR more generous in foreign aid AND in individual and group charitable giving than any other nation, and certainly including yours. Maybe you should follow your own advice in Australia before you start worrying about America.

Tell me JL what is the treatment for an over stretched arm? you must have great discomfort you do so much stretching these days.

The evidence is in. talk is cheap, you announce much, deliver little and what you do deliver is tied aid, the money must buy goods from the US. Ask Haiti how much of your aid they got

My only worry about america is; will they live up to the rhetoric when the time comes
    Uber Member

May 13, 2021, 07:28 PM
    Haiti? We have given more than 5 billion. How much has Australia given?

My only worry about america is; will they live up to the rhetoric when the time comes
    No problem. The mighty Aussies will show up.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 07:33 PM
    Haiti is offshore to the US, how much of that aid actually arrived. Indonesia was offshore to Australia, we gave a billion dollars, untied, which comparatively is a lot of aid. So who is the more generous now

Much of the US aid funding was hindered by US statutory restrictions limiting spending to US products, materials and employees, which had to be transported to Haiti. This not only raised the costs involved, compared to local, but also prevented the aid from stimulating the Haitian economy.[53]
    Uber Member

May 13, 2021, 07:40 PM
    Most of that was economic investments from which you expect to receive a profit. Yes?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2021, 09:22 PM
    NO, It was not investment, unlike the US we do not speak with forked tongue

https://www.dfat.gov.au/news/news/Pa...r%20food%20aid

$1 billion reconstruction package

The $1 billion package of assistance to Indonesia announced by the Australian Government on 5 January 2005 provided for large-scale social and economic development programs across Aceh and elsewhere in Indonesia.
    Around $323 million was spent on the recovery and reconstruction in Aceh and Nias from 2004-2011. Approximately $328 million was allocated for road improvements in eastern Indonesia, and around $300 million was provided for basic education.
    The Australian Government's support in Indonesia helped reconstruct schools, village halls and health facilities. It helped Indonesians rebuild livelihoods and helped many Acehnese to develop skills to improve government service delivery.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2021, 01:46 AM
    Haiti is offshore to the US, how much of that aid actually arrived.
    After the Clintoon Foundation skimmed off their share ;who knows ?

Now that Quid is president, I'm relieved that other countries respect America again. And it happened so quickly. Your question is not without merit . We have a vague security commitment with the Philippines that I do not believe is being honored . That is why China feels safe to seize the Philippine territorial waters with impunity .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hunter biden - china link compromises joe biden's china decision making [ 9 Answers ]

Has anyone thought about the potential that Hunter Biden's Chinese business ventures and Joe Biden's tenure as Vice President or, now, the potential for Joe Biden's vison around China policies being clouded by Hunter Biden's associations there? Come to find out Hunter Biden road into China on Air...

What makes you move? [ 120 Answers ]

So what song makes you get up and move? It can either be an all time favorite or something new... What makes you get out of your seat and play the air guitar, or attempt to break dance or look like you are having a fit? Post a song name or a YouTube clip Mine would be: "Low" by Flo...

My boyfriend never makes a move [ 5 Answers ]

We have been dating for about 18 months we are not having sex anymore and its making me feel unwanted and like he's not attracted to me anymore and making me feel like crap he works a lot and always falls asleep I know he's not cheating on me its impossible we are with each other every night he...

Who Makes the Next Move? [ 9 Answers ]

I was dating a girl for almost 3 years when we decided to call it quits. That was 4 months ago and it was a very stressfull point in both of our lives (I was finishing college and she was entering her senior year). Since then I've been trying to fix things, and recently I've been working on...

My boyfriend never makes the first move and makes a lot of excuses about sex [ 14 Answers ]

Well I am a recovered sex addict and I have some emotional issues as well but sex if very important to me and my boyfriend and me never have sex anymore I don't remember the last time we even were intimate sometimes if I start touching on him he will normally just jerk off to finish and its so...

View more questions Search