Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    One of the great exaggerations on the planet. There are some patches of plastic, but hardly the entire area. At any rate, what does that have to do with climate change?
    Sorry to disappoint you -- not an exaggeration.

Please google how all that trash and plastic is affecting the climate. I'd give you links but you will trash them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UynITtG7HLE
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2021, 08:24 PM
    And in most of it, there is no plastic. People try to conjure up images of solid masses of large plastic materials. That simply is not true.

Garbage patches aren’t a solid patch. The name conjures images of a floating landfill in the middle of the ocean, with miles of bobbing plastic bottles and rogue yogurt cups. While it's true that these areas have a higher concentration of plastic than other parts of the ocean, much of the debris found in these areas are small bits of plastic, or microplastics, smaller than 5mm in size that are suspended throughout the water column. The debris is more like flecks of pepper floating throughout a bowl of soup, rather than a skim of fat that accumulates or sits on the surface. Microplastics are nearly ubiquitous today in the marine environment and may come from larger pieces of plastic that have broken down over time, from fleece jackets or plastic microbeads added to face scrubs. The impacts of these microplastics on marine life is an area of active research.
    https://response.restoration.noaa.go...e-vs-myth.html

I'd give you links but you will trash them.
    In other words, you have no links. Thankfully, I do.

Are garbage patches really islands of trash that you can actually walk on?
    Nope! Although garbage patches have higher amounts of marine debris, they’re not “islands of trash” and you definitely can’t walk on them. The debris in the garbage patches is constantly mixing and moving due to winds and ocean currents. This means that the debris is not settled in a layer at the surface of the water, but can be found from the surface, throughout the water column, and all the way to the bottom of the ocean. Not only that, the debris within the garbage patches is primarily microplastics, tiny plastic pieces less than five millimeters in size. Many of these microplastics are the result of larger plastic debris that has broken into small pieces from exposure to the sun, salt, wind, and waves. Others, such as microbeads from products like facewashes or microfibers from synthetic clothing, are already small in size when they enter the water. With such small debris items making up the majority of the garbage patches and the constant movement of this debris, it’s possible to sail through a garbage patch without even realizing it.
    The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is the size of Texas and you can see it from space!
    Not so much. Since the garbage patches are constantly moving and mixing with winds and ocean currents, their size continuously changes. They can be very large, but since they’re made up primarily of microplastic debris, they definitely can’t be seen from space.
    https://response.restoration.noaa.go...e-patches.html

Both of those links, you will notice, are from NOAA.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 08:29 PM
    Did you look at the videos I posted?
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2021, 08:44 PM
    I looked at two, neither of which was anything more than internet speculation. I told you what NOAA said. Believe TOMONEWS or believe the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. There is no giant garbage patch. It cannot be seen from space. It is almost entirely micro sized plastic particles that are not concentrated. Believe what you will. Your choice.

In the U.S., trash is not dumped at sea so we are not the source of the problem one way or the other.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 08:56 PM
    In the U.S., trash is not dumped at sea so we are not the source of the problem one way or the other.
    I can't believe you looked at those videos and posted what you did. Like Doubting Thomas.

Yes, Americans dump their trash all over creation. On our trips to the hospital for my transfusions or blood draw appointments, trash lines the highways, is in the gutters. The strip malls' business owners regularly send employees outside to pick up the debris.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 03:52 AM
    Science has always been about consensus. I'm surprised you appear not to know that, or criticize it.
    Science is about testable hypothesis that have duplicatable results . You don't get that from suspect data being entered into computers that spit out predetermined models . (ie East Anglia emails confirming that they used "Michael Mann's trick " to "hide the decline " when producing a graph showing a hockey stick like increase in global temps ) .
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 04:47 AM
    Yes, Americans dump their trash all over creation. On our trips to the hospital for my transfusions or blood draw appointments, trash lines the highways, is in the gutters. The strip malls' business owners regularly send employees outside to pick up the debris.
    That has nothing to do with plastic in the ocean. Didn't you listen to your own video which stated that the offending nations were all from Asia?

If you listen to TOMONEWS rather than NOAA, then I can't help you.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 05:03 AM
    This was an old trick the Excon used to use. When discussing climate change he would talk of all types of pollution and would avoid the discussion about climate change. Is there a relationship between plastics in the ocean and atmospheric temperature ? If there is then please explain how plastics in the ocean affect the atmospheric temperatures.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 05:09 AM
    Perhaps they reflect sunlight
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 10:16 AM
    That has nothing to do with plastic in the ocean.
    The town you live in is squeaky clean of trash dumped along the streets and sidewalks? (My point was that humans are pigs!)

Didn't you listen to your own video which stated that the offending nations were all from Asia?
    Yes, and much of that trash bobbles along the coasts of the Philippine Islands.

***What and Where Are Garbage Patches?

Garbage patches are large areas of the ocean where litter, fishing gear, and other debris - known as marine debris - collects. They are formed by rotating ocean currents called “gyres.” You can think of them as big whirlpools that pull objects in. The gyres pull debris into one location, often the gyre’s center, forming “patches.”

There are five gyres in the ocean. One in the Indian Ocean, two in the Atlantic Ocean, and two in the Pacific Ocean. Garbage patches of varying sizes are located in each gyre.

The most famous of these patches is often called the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch.” It is located in the North Pacific Gyre (between Hawaii and California). “Patch” is a misleading nickname, causing many to believe that these are islands of trash. Instead, the debris is spread across the surface of the water and from the surface all the way to the ocean floor. The debris ranges in size, from large abandoned fishing nets to tiny microplastics, which are plastic pieces smaller than 5mm in size. This makes it possible to sail through some areas of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and see very little to no debris.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is in the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and California. It is the most well known patch. While some areas of the patch have more trash than others, much of the debris is made of microplastics (by count). Because microplastics are smaller than a pencil eraser, they are not immediately noticeable to the naked eye. It’s more like pepper flakes swirling in a soup than something you can skim off the surface. You may come across larger items, like plastic bottles and nets, but it’s possible to sail through some areas of a garbage patch and not see any debris at all. Garbage patches are huge! It’s difficult to determine an exact size as the trash is constantly moving with ocean currents and winds.

The Impact of Garbage Patches on the Environment.

Garbage patches, especially the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, are far out in the middle of the ocean where people hardly ever go. Because they are so remote, it can be hard to study them.

Scientists rarely get to see the impacts of garbage patches on animals first hand. So far, we know that marine debris found in garbage patches can impact wildlife in a number of ways:

• Entanglement and ghost fishing: Marine life can be caught and injured, or potentially killed in certain types of debris. Lost fishing nets are especially dangerous. In fact they are often called “ghost” nets because they continue to fish even though they are no longer under the control of a fisher. Ghost nets can trap or wrap around animals, entangling them. Plastic debris with loops can also get hooked on wildlife - think packing straps, six-pack rings, handles of plastic bags, etc.
    • Ingestion: Animals may mistakenly eat plastic and other debris. We know that this can be harmful to the health of fish, seabirds, and other marine animals. These items can take up room in their stomachs, making the animals feel full and stopping them from eating real food.
    • Non-native species: Marine debris can transport species from one place to another. Algae, barnacles, crabs, or other species can attach themselves to debris and be transported across the ocean. If the species is invasive, and can settle and establish in a new environment, it can outcompete or overcrowd native species, disrupting the ecosystem.***
      https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/info/patch.html

That has nothing to do with plastic in the ocean.
      Especially read and memorize the Entanglement and Ingestion points above.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Especially read and memorize the Entanglement and Ingestion points above.
    Excellent, WG! You saved me the time doing that.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Science is about testable hypothesis that have duplicatable results
    Didn't I say that? You must have missed it. Here it is again ---

Science has always been about consensus. I'm surprised you appear not to know that, or criticize it. A theory is proposed after research (sometimes years) is tested, and is tested again. The testing goes on until science is satisfied the theory is correct. The tests may have been done thousands of times yielding the same result until a consensus is formed. That's how science becomes science.

You don't get that from suspect data being entered into computers that spit out predetermined models . (ie East Anglia emails confirming that they used "Michael Mann's trick " to "hide the decline " when producing a graph showing a hockey stick like increase in global temps
    Anecdotes are not science.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 11:21 AM
    So you simply reposted what I have already posted because...?

The most famous of these patches is often called the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch.” It is located in the North Pacific Gyre (between Hawaii and California). “Patch” is a misleading nickname, causing many (like Wondergirl) to believe that these are islands of trash. Instead, the debris is spread across the surface of the water and from the surface all the way to the ocean floor. The debris ranges in size, from large abandoned fishing nets to tiny microplastics, which are plastic pieces smaller than 5mm in size. This makes it possible to sail through some areas of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and see very little to no debris.

So your idea that this so called "Garbage Patch" is an area of visible, serious plastic debris the size of Texas is thus shown to be a wild exaggeration which is basically untrue. Now is this something we should be concerned about? I would agree with that, but it is not the problem you have attempted to portray it as being, and not even close.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 11:29 AM
    So you simply reposted what I have already posted because...?

The most famous of these patches is often called the “Great Pacific Garbage Patch.” It is located in the North Pacific Gyre (between Hawaii and California). “Patch” is a misleading nickname, causing many (like Wondergirl) to believe that these are islands of trash. Instead, the debris is spread across the surface of the water and from the surface all the way to the ocean floor. The debris ranges in size, from large abandoned fishing nets to tiny microplastics, which are plastic pieces smaller than 5mm in size. This makes it possible to sail through some areas of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and see very little to no debris.

So your idea that this so called "Garbage Patch" is an area of visible, serious plastic debris the size of Texas is thus shown to be untrue.
    Please reread my (and your) post about what's in the Pacific Ocean. Especially note: "You may come across larger items, like plastic bottles and nets, but it’s possible to sail through some areas of a garbage patch and not see any debris at all. Garbage patches are huge! It’s difficult to determine an exact size as the trash is constantly moving with ocean currents and winds."
    And what about the videos I posted of very visible and identifiable trash on Philippine et al. beaches?

And I had asked, "Have you seen the Texas-size area of discarded plastic that's in the Pacific?" You even confirmed there's plastic in the ocean -- microplastics, yes -- but plastic that messes up marine life.

Once a cherrypicker, always a cherrypicker.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 11:48 AM
    And what about the videos I posted of very visible and identifiable trash on Philippine et al. beaches?
    You mean like the one from that famous science sight, TOMONEWS? I already told you I watched two of them. They are using a robot voice to read prepared text. It's plainly just a collection of largely still photos glued together to make an internet video for a profit.

But like I said, you can believe TOMONEWS, or you can believe NOAA.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 12:07 PM
    You mean like the one from that famous science sight, TOMONEWS? I already told you I watched two of them.
    Watch the others. I dare you. How about this one (Mount Everest):
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6jCmYUQ1Q88

I'll post more! Plan on a swim vacation on the Philippine coast or a hike up Everest.

More!!!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fCYB7kyRyYo

Worth a second viewing!!!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yomf5pBN8dY

It was on the weekend news -- a lake in the West, and a major water source for nearby cities and towns -- is going dry from overuse. One solution is to recapture and purify water from toilets et al., sewer water.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 01:16 PM
    You do realize the topic is climate change?

should I post a video on how to change a flat tire???

I am sticking with NOAA.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 01:36 PM
    You do realize the topic is climate change?

should I post a video on how to change a flat tire???

I am sticking with NOAA.
    Yep. Climate change is happening also because we humans are such pigs and so uncaring about what we dump into and onto our beautiful world. All that plastic -- especially the manufacturing of it -- affects our climate.

https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...limate-change/
    And that's what I used too. Another NOAA quote: "Plastics are the most common form of marine debris. They can come from a variety of land- and ocean-based sources, enter the water in many ways, and impact the ocean and Great Lakes. Once in the water, plastic debris never fully biodegrades."
    https://marinedebris.noaa.gov/images...an-infographic
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 01:48 PM
    we humans are such pigs
    Speak for yourself.

we dump into and onto our beautiful world. All that plastic -- especially the manufacturing of it -- affects our climate.
    Complete nonsense for which you have, as usual, no evidence at all.

And that's what I used too. Another NOAA quote: "Plastics are the most common form of marine debris. They can come from a variety of land- and ocean-based sources, enter the water in many ways, and impact the ocean and Great Lakes. Once in the water, plastic debris never fully biodegrades."
    And that relates to climate change not at all. As I've said before, I'm all for resolving the issue, but not at the expense of your shrill, over the top rhetoric.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 02:05 PM
    Speak for yourself.
    Did you watch the Everest video? Do you ever walk in urban and suburban areas and along trafficked roads? Take a paper garbage bag with you. Hey, go to a fast-food restaurant and observe people throwing wrappers out of their car windows as they leave the driveup and get back onto the main road. Humans are pigs.

Complete nonsense for which you have, as usual, no evidence at all.
    Google "plastic manfacturing climate change" (minus the quote marks)
    And that relates to climate change not at all. As I've said before, I'm all for resolving the issue, but not at the expense of your shrill, over the top rhetoric.
    You didn't read this that I posted (and there are many other sites like it by other science people and groups):
    https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...limate-change/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does the tilt of earth's axis as earth revolves around the sun cause? [ 2 Answers ]

My science homework question and I have no idea what the answer is!

What on Earth? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I, very much in love, were talking and gushing over each other on IM as usual. All good, right? But then he said "Oh one second my mother is prowling about, gotta make sure she's not listening for me." Obviously that makes sense because she probably doesn't want him on the...

New earth [ 15 Answers ]

Some here have said that THIS earth is done away with because of the verses that speak of a new heaven and a new earth. I was wondering do you believe the earth is done away with before the millennium? If so would that mean the millennium is on the new earth that God creates?

What on earth do I say? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for awhile now and he thinks its time for me to meet his daughters,there 11 and 12 years old.I have no idea what to say to them.they don't know we are going out . This is not a big thing to him but it is to me,it means a lot to me I know not to try to hard...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search