Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 02:09 PM
    I'm just glad you haters, and deniers are a minority.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 02:26 PM
    Did you watch the Everest video? Do you ever walk in urban and suburban areas and along trafficked roads? Take a paper garbage bag with you. Hey, go to a fast-food restaurant and observe people throwing wrappers out of their car windows as they leave the driveup and get back onto the main road. Humans are pigs.
    Climate change. We are talking about climate change. What your human pig brethren do is between you and them.

Complete nonsense for which you have, as usual, no evidence at all.

Google "plastic manfacturing climate change" (minus the quote marks)
    As I said, you have nothing, as it always is. You make the claim; you do the research to back it up.

You didn't read this that I posted (and there are many other sites like it by other science people and groups):
    https://yaleclimateconnections.org/2...limate-change/
    I will read it now...reluctantly.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 02:32 PM
    I read it. It basically makes silly points such as, "Oh my goodness. We have to transport plastic and that releases CO2. We use it for packaging that has to be transported and that releases CO2." If we weren't using plastics for packaging, we could use cardboard which would have to be transported...and release CO2. At no point was any reasonable estimate made on how much the use of plastics contributes to climate change. Did you see that???

I should have known better. In fact, I did.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    At no point was any reasonable estimate made on how much the use of plastics contributes to climate change. Did you see that???

I should have known better. In fact, I did.
    You didn't see those percentages?
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 04:13 PM
    Nope. Neither did you.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 04:22 PM
    Nope. Neither did you.
    Reading comprehension again?

***Under a business-as-usual scenario in which policies continue to foster plastics production, the sector’s fossil fuel consumption will only increase. Today, about 4-8% of annual global oil consumption is associated with plastics, according to the World Economic Forum. If this reliance on plastics persists, plastics will account for 20% of oil consumption by 2050.***
    And a bit further in the article:
    ***Land disturbance also contributes to greenhouse gas emissions associated with extraction. Kelso said each mile of pipeline must be surrounded by a “right of way” zone of cleared land. About 19.2 million acres have been cleared for oil and gas development in the United States. Assuming just a third of the impacted land is forested, 1.686 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide are released into the atmosphere as a result of clearing, authors of the CIEL report said.
    “These figures really add up over time because you’re talking about millions of miles of pipelines in the United States,” Kelso said. “You have to clear cut. So you’re taking all of the carbon from the trees and from soils and removing that from the earth basically and introducing it to the atmosphere.”***
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 04:34 PM
    Oh come on. You're being completely foolish. The issue was this. "...At no point was any reasonable estimate made on how much the use of plastics contributes to climate change."

All your quote noted was the percentage of oil that goes into making plastic. That itself does nothing to add to climate change. The last paragraph was laughable. "So you're taking all of the carbon from the trees and from the soils and removing that from the earth and introducing it to the atmosphere." What? They are really attempting to make a point that the miniscule, tiny amount of land affected by pipeline construction has anything even approaching a significant effect on global warming? That's completely stupid.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 04:38 PM
    And you're an educator? I weep.
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 05:01 PM
    Weep on, sister. Weep for yourself. You completely missed the most simple question by half a mile.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 05:04 PM
    Weep on, sister. Weep for yourself. You completely missed the most simple question by half a mile.
    Then YOU tell me the answer.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 05:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Then YOU tell me the answer.
    He has no answer. He is what is called a contrarian. He'll oppose any point you have for his troll-like pleasure. He'll do this until the cows come home. It's fun when he's so wrong - like in this thread.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 05:29 PM
    Actually, you're asking the wrong question. You asked: "How much [does] the use of plastics [contribute] to climate change?"

I answered a much more important question: "How much does the manufacture of plastics contribute to climate change?"
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Actually, you're asking the wrong question. You asked: "How much [does] the use of plastics [contribute] to climate change?"

I answered a much more important question: "How much does the manufacture of plastics contribute to climate change?"
    To paraphase an old movie" frankly my dear, he doesn't give a damn"
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2021, 06:23 PM

Actually, you answered neither. Your passage only alluded to how much petroleum goes into making plastic. That does not answer or even address the question. The only reference to greenhouse gases was completely speculative and even if true, would amount to a tiny, tiny, tiny portion of CO2 released into the atmosphere. The figure of nearly 2 bil tons over a period of many years must be seen in light of over 40 billion tons PER year as a total, so the figure, if accepted, basically has no meaning. Even worse, it assumes that all of the pipelines supply petrol only to plastics industries. That of course is laughingly untrue.

***Under a business-as-usual scenario in which policies continue to foster plastics production, the sector’s fossil fuel consumption will only increase. Today, about 4-8% of annual global oil consumption is associated with plastics, according to the World Economic Forum. If this reliance on plastics persists, plastics will account for 20% of oil consumption by 2050.***
    And a bit further in the article:
    ***Land disturbance also contributes to greenhouse gas emissions associated with extraction. Kelso said each mile of pipeline must be surrounded by a “right of way” zone of cleared land. About 19.2 million acres have been cleared for oil and gas development in the United States. Assuming just a third of the impacted land is forested, 1.686 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide are released into the atmosphere as a result of clearing, authors of the CIEL report said.
    “These figures really add up over time because you’re talking about millions of miles of pipelines in the United States,” Kelso said. “You have to clear cut. So you’re taking all of the carbon from the trees and from soils and removing that from the earth basically and introducing it to the atmosphere.”***
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 10:37 PM
    Ok I throw one into the mix regarding solving the "problem". remove all manufacturing from China's dirty industries, and avoid reestablishing them in any country signed up to the BRI. China is financing coal fired power stations in places like Pakistan
    Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Ok I throw one into the mix regarding solving the "problem". remove all manufacturing from China's dirty industries, and avoid reestablishing them in any country signed up to the BRI. China is financing coal fired power stations in places like Pakistan
    So it is a global problem?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2021, 03:16 PM
    No, as I have said for a long time, it is a northern hemisphere problem
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2021, 07:07 PM
    Global warming is happening in both hemispheres, but more slowly in the South because of the greater land mass in the North. Ocean water warms slowly.
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2021, 07:50 PM
    no tal the theory is AGW is caused by humans emitting CO2 from industry, to wit, burning of fossil fuels, if you quit this in the northern hemisphere problem solved. Now I don't believe this but I do know that the ocean absorbs CO2
    Expert

Apr 27, 2021, 06:15 AM
    Creeping south as we speak!

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Global warming is happening in both hemispheres, but more slowly in the South because of the greater land mass in the North. Ocean water warms slowly.
    And expanding industrialization!

no tal the theory is AGW is caused by humans emitting CO2 from industry, to wit, burning of fossil fuels, if you quit this in the northern hemisphere problem solved. Now I don't believe this but I do know that the ocean absorbs CO2
    At least you're finally catching on and that's a start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does the tilt of earth's axis as earth revolves around the sun cause? [ 2 Answers ]

My science homework question and I have no idea what the answer is!

What on Earth? [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I, very much in love, were talking and gushing over each other on IM as usual. All good, right? But then he said "Oh one second my mother is prowling about, gotta make sure she's not listening for me." Obviously that makes sense because she probably doesn't want him on the...

New earth [ 15 Answers ]

Some here have said that THIS earth is done away with because of the verses that speak of a new heaven and a new earth. I was wondering do you believe the earth is done away with before the millennium? If so would that mean the millennium is on the new earth that God creates?

What on earth do I say? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for awhile now and he thinks its time for me to meet his daughters,there 11 and 12 years old.I have no idea what to say to them.they don't know we are going out . This is not a big thing to him but it is to me,it means a lot to me I know not to try to hard...

Rate at which moon obits the earth assuming distance between moon and earth is 382,00 [ 3 Answers ]

What is the rate that the moon orbits the earth assuming the distance between the moon and the earth is 382,000,000 meters. Should I derive from Distance=RatexTime?

View more questions Search