Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2021, 04:51 PM
    She's back!
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...d92a2e5d7097c0

voice in the wilderness, Greta Thunberg, you remember her, shouting "how dare you". Well this week she took US politicians to task over inaction on her favourite subject, climate crisis. A crisis she admits doesn't exist in the public mind. She fails to realise that what she sees is climate fatigue, that people are over it and past it, and trying to reignite the debate when world leaders are meeting and committing to further action, is actually crying in the wilderness.

The climate has had to take a back seat for the last year as the world tries to deal with a real crisis, a crisis where people are actually dying. Maybe she realises that not dealing with this crisis might solve the problem for her and refocusing on climate will divert resources
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 04:51 AM
    Maybe she can join our climate Tzar ,JFKerry as he takes a private jet to Beijing to discuss the climate ("the only choice for somebody like me.”) ........and to check up on his step son's investments in China .
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 05:33 AM
    No she prefers to sail
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2021, 09:44 AM
    Where in her speech did she mention that the U.S. has cut carbon emissions more than any other nation? I guess it's true. No good deed goes unpunished.

It's hard to imagine a worse scenario in the U.S. than having GT speak to a crowd including AOC. The blind leading the blind.

The United States saw the largest decline in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2019 on a country basis – a fall of 140 Mt, or 2.9%, to 4.8 Gt. US emissions are now down almost 1 Gt from their peak in the year 2000, the largest absolute decline by any country over that period.
    https://www.iea.org/articles/global-...ssions-in-2019
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Apr 23, 2021, 11:15 AM
    I am sorry but I feel I must disagree with you.

I do agree that the last year has been a tremendous trial for the whole world with the Covid crisis which has cost the lives of over a million people worldwide.

However this does not mean that the world, especially those who are responsible for the total uncaring companies who are destroying the world with their constant emissions of CO2 which is contributing greatly and speeding up the climate change.

Obviously I feel extremely sorry for all those who have lost their lives due to this pandemic and especially the loved ones left behind but we MUST be realistic and stop burying our heads in the sand and simply denying and ignoring what is happening in this world and Mother Nature telling us she has had enough.

We are already seeing the changes in the weather patterns worldwide with more and more powerful hurricanes and tornadoes, with the much more torrential downpours in rainfall causing terrible and deadly floods, the bigger and much more damage being done due to fires and the people and wildlife dying because of them. There are so many reasons to believe that the the Earth is heating up and until or unless we humans start changing then one day in the not to distant future it will be TOO late.

We can't ignore the pandemic but neither can we afford to ignore the possible death throes of the Earth. It is unlikely to affect us in this lifetime except for the dangers of the weather patterns but it will be our children and their children who will suffer greatly at our ignoring which is as plain as the nose on our face.
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2021, 11:59 AM
    I am sorry but I feel I must disagree with you.
    I'm not sure what it is you disagree with.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 01:12 PM
    National Oceanic Administration tells us that there are no more hurricanes today than there were 100 years ago. What they do warn is that climate change could increase the number and severity of FUTURE hurricanes.
    total uncaring companies
    What those uncaring companies are doing is providing goods and services that we demand . Before pointing fingers at them ,point fingers at us and no doubt yourself . Do you live in a grass yurt ? Do you ride a bicycle instead of a car ? Do you grow your own food or do you purchase food grown in industrial farms that get shipped from the farm to the grocery story in gas guzzling trucks ? How is the computer you wrote your comments built and how is it powered ? How is the climate controlled in your own home ? Heat in winter ;cool in summer ...

The reason carbon is used in industry is because it is to date the most efficient way to provide the energy to fuel a modern society ..... except of course nukes which I believe you would find to be even more of a plague than oil ,gas and coal .

Here is a reality check . The world economies ;those developed and those growing ,will require the burning of carbon fuels for the rest of our lifetime . AND there is no indication that so called green (that aren't really green ) energy will have the ability to replace the power provided by carbon fuels .

So we have to adjust to that reality .

You want to invest in fusion ;and the flux capacitor as energies of the future ? Go right ahead . In the mean time we have to deal with reality . Climate has been changing since the ice age (in fact ,in the history of the planet climate ,the only constant is change ) I have yet to hear anyone address what should be the "normal" climate of the earth . Climate change did not begin at the introduction of the combustible engine . Humans have impacted the climate since we invented civilization and went from hunter gatherers to an agricultural society . What humans have done is adapt . And that is what we will have to do again .

Or maybe you suggest that the billions of people in Asia ,Africa ,South America should not have the benefits and conveniences that a carbon based economy has given the people of the west .
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 04:02 PM
    neither can we afford to ignore the possible death throes of the Earth.
    The Earth is not dying from an overdose of CO2. CO2 concentrations have been much higher in the distant past and the Earth is still here. Much has already been done to modify emissions but the problem is population, growth in population that is altering the balance on Earth. Destruction of forest, particularly in places like Brazil and Indonesia. There are weather cycles that bring drought, floods, cyclonic winds and these are unpredictable but observable.

I have said many times in this forum, climate change has been happening for thousands of years and not so long ago an ice age was predicted. The only thing that is holding back the onset is AGW. But it is a climate cycle just like warming is a climate cycle
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2021, 04:09 PM
    That's a pretty good observation. I would agree the the climate change folks that raising the CO2 levels in the atmosphere is not a good idea, but the cost to roll that back is going to be fantastically high to the point of just not being do-able unless we take a one hundred year approach to it. I don't see any option other than to mitigate negative changes as they come along.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 04:31 PM
    we don't know that raising CO 2 levels is not a good idea, it will provide more food for a growing population. There maybe some displacement of those living near the ocean, but perhaps those cities affected were illadvisedly placed in the first place
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2021, 06:03 PM
    we don't know that raising CO 2 levels is not a good idea, it will provide more food for a growing population. There maybe some displacement of those living near the ocean, but perhaps those cities affected were illadvisedly placed in the first place
    Certainly a valid observation. At least worth thinking about.
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2021, 06:10 PM
    The problem is no one thinks anymore, they just react
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2021, 07:07 PM
    I do. You do. Tom does. That's three.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 23, 2021, 08:30 PM
    As humans adapt to their reality, maybe the Earth does too.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 12:12 AM
    Yes you can be sure that it will deal with this pandemic
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 02:22 PM
    That's for humans to do.
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 02:58 PM
    No you missed it the humans are the pandemic
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2021, 05:39 AM
    The one great missing element of this climate change debate, if we assume that AGW is actually true, is a reasonable plan of what to do about it. The GND is obviously not the answer, so what to do now? Roll back CO2 numbers? Good luck with that. Learn to live with it? Go nuclear? What's the solution?
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 05:52 AM
    Learn to live with it, put resources into adapting not fighting
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2021, 06:01 AM
    Learn to live with it, put resources into adapting not fighting
    Whether people like it or not, that's going to end up being a big part of it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

45 degree elbows joined back to back. Are they legal to make a long sweep 90 [ 2 Answers ]

Are back to back 45s legal I drainage situations in canada

12 weeks pregnant and severe posterior pelvic back back. Cant roll over at times etc. [ 1 Answers ]

I have trouble concentrating or sleeping cause my back hurts, I feel like I may need help getting up or rolling over sometimes and at times when I walk I feel a stabbing pain on one side or the other right above my behine and it feels like my leg may give out. Happened with my last pregnancy but...

Rash on back of my neck, lower back and butt, around my waist, breasts [ 4 Answers ]

4 month ago my family all 7 of us with same rash,looked like bits and just itch like crazy.Now is just my youngest daughter an I.The rash looks like hives but is not.We taught that it could have been scarves and it wasn't.We are so worried.

Teacher took my iPhone away, won't give it back; gave 2 other students phone back. [ 9 Answers ]

I go to a high school. I got caught listening to music one day in class, my teacher took my phone away. I thought she was going to give it back at the end of the day. When I came and asked her, she said I was listening to music during a classmates presentation and my parent will have to pick it up...

Toilet leaking around base, back up into tub when flush, kitchen sink back up [ 3 Answers ]

Seem like everything is back up. Recently I've been having issue with my plumbing all around. The toilet seems to be backing up into the tub and is leaking around the base. I could hear water bubble sound coming up the toilet when I try to run water down the tub. As for the kitchen sink it seems to...

View more questions Search