Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 04:19 AM
    A new American exceptionalism
    This is what Quid's National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan pledged,“Everything we do in our foreign policy and national security will be measured by a basic metric: Is it going to make life better, safer, and easier for working families?”

Quid made similar statements. “There’s no longer a bright line between foreign and domestic policy. Every action we take in our conduct abroad, we must take with American working families in mind. Advancing a foreign policy for the middle class demands urgent focus on our domestic economic renewal.”

But Quid was going to take us back to the days where we did not speak of American Exceptionalism . We were no better than any other nation and had to submit to the global community above our own interests . America first was something Trump said ,,,,, not Quid .

Sullivan ,sounding a lot like Trump , wrote “The core purpose of American foreign policy must be to protect and defend the American way of life,”

News to Sullivan and Quid . Trump was elected in 2016 by the middle class because in part he lambasted the traditional foreign policy establishment for NOT keeping American interests first . Trade deals, climate deals ,immigration policy ,foreign military adventures were implicated by Trump to be related to a decline of the American middle class. Quid has promised a return to traditional foreign policy . Then when he came in ,he began implementing polices that are harmful to the middle class like the cancellation of the Keystone pipeline .He relaxed policies Trump put in place to secure the southern border .

So there appears to be a disconnect between Quid's Administration rhetoric and polices they adopt .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2021, 04:49 AM
    Sullivan ,sounding a lot like Trump , wrote “The core purpose of American foreign policy must be to protect and defend the American way of life,”
    If they look around, I'll bet they can find some boxes of MAGA caps in a closet in the White House. Dust em off and put em on!
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 04:19 PM
    Just a comment; where is this exceptionalism leading? down the same rabbit hole as the War on Terror?, the War on Drugs? the War on Poverty? what if you gave a war and no one came, that would be exceptional
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    America first was something Trump said
    "America First" was the slogan of the American Nazis in the years leading up to WW2. They supported Hitler, and Trump was right in line with the Hitlerites as he tried to overthrow a valid presidential election by inciting an insurrection against the US government.

His goal was to establish a white supremacist regime in the US. He nearly succeeded thanks in part to a large block of white evangelicals.

The history books will show that African-Americans and other people of color were instrumental in defeating Fascist Trump thereby saving the American experiment in self-government.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 05:40 PM
    The absurd Reductio ad Hitlerum line of the day that completely ignores Hitler's murderous reign .
    America First Committee 1940 opposed American entry into WWII . It consisted of people across the political spectrum .Among it's members were Democrat Sergeant Shriver ,future Republcan President Gerald Ford and future SCOTUS justice Potter Stewart .JFK donated $100 to the newly formed committee . Poet Robert Frost, actress Lillian Gish and composer Charles Ives were members .Alice Roosevelt Longworth was a founding director.
    America first was about not getting entangled in foreign adventures ,something George Washington warned against . But when the Japanese attacked . Both Ford and JFK got into the fight . Even Lindbergh ,one of the most vocal isolationists tried to enter the war . Roosevelt refused him .So he volunteered to train pilots.

Clete ;

In defense of American exceptionalism ; Quid's Dec State Anthony Blinken correctly stated . “Whether we like it or not, the world doesn’t organize itself " “In the absence of our doing it, either someone else does [or] no one does. And then you tend to have chaos.”
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 05:50 PM
    The absurd Reductio ad Hitl.............................................. ...sted of people across the............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .............the fight . Even Lindbergh ,one of the most vocal isolationists tried to enter the war . So he volunteered to train pilots.
    None of the above changes my points re Trump.

PS. Lindbergh was refused entry into US Armed Forces by Roosevelt when WW2 broke out. He did mange to find flying with aircraft companies as a civilian. He also had a rather bizarre private life with more than one family at the same time - one in Germany and one in the states.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 05:58 PM

Clete ;

In defense of American exceptionalism ; Quid's Dec State Anthony Blinken correctly stated . “Whether we like it or not, the world doesn’t organize itself " “In the absence of our doing it, either someone else does [or] no one does. And then you tend to have chaos.”
    That is the most absurd defence of the american ego I have heard. Look I get it you are supermen fighting for truth, justice and the american way, still listening to the propaganda. The problem is you arn't. The world's got along without america for thousands of years and many societies prospered. Your society has existed for 250 years and you think you have the right to order the world. Go stick it where the sun doesn't shine
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2021, 06:17 PM
    Your society has existed for 250 years and you think you have the right to order the world. Go stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
    Anyone from a little country with virtually no global influence should exhibit some humility.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 07:05 PM
    None of the above changes my points re Trump.
    except the fact that none of it is true . Trump did not try to create a " white supremacist regime in the US"....

Trump's popularity with minorities increased throughout his term because the pro-growrth economy he grew helped all before the pandemic hit .
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 07:33 PM
    Trump did not try to create a " white supremacist regime in the US"....
    I believe he did. I base it on what he said publicly over the years beginning with "Mexican rapists" and finishing with denying the election - which he continues to do to this day. Whether it's true or not doesn't matter anymore. The madman is gone forever. His fame will endure as the first president to be locked up.

Trump's popularity with minorities increased throughout his term because the pro-growrth economy he grew helped all before the pandemic hit .
    Do you really believe Trump "grew" the economy? Giving most of $2,000,000,000 to corporations and the rich in his infamous "tax cut"? Imposing tariffs he didn't have an inkling what they are? Hitching on the tail end of a recovery started by Obama and the Dems after the Republicans threw the economy under the bus?

That's one of the great falsehoods of the Trump years. His gaslighting made it believable for his followers.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 07:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Anyone from a little country with virtually no global influence should exhibit some humility.
    We do not bow to supposed American superiority
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    We do not bow to supposed American superiority
    As you should not.

Not all Americans think of ourselves as the world's bully. We think of ourselves as a most fortunate country isolated by two oceans to work out our destiny. It's a work-in-progress and we long to be the nation described in Emma Lazarus' famous poem on the Statue of Liberty.

We have much to apologize for and we are learning to do that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 10:10 PM
    I like the isolated part of your response, the idea of your superiority could only have developed in isolation
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I like the isolated part of your response, the idea of your superiority could only have developed in isolation
    No argument there, but that's only part of it.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2021, 11:53 PM
    Yes well I suppose after you had conquered Mexico, the indigenous population, the Spanish Empire, The Japanese Empire single handed and the Nazi you became the master race. You have opposed every other philosophy but your own ever since and yet, tell me, have you actually won any wars since then?

Grenada; Yes
    Panama; Yes
    Korea; stalemate
    Vietnam; No
    Iraq; the jury is still out on that one
    Afghanistan; No
    Drugs; NO
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2021, 12:09 AM
    Good grief. Is there anyone on this site more arrogantly smug about his country than you are? We could ask the same sort of things about your country. What has Australia done to help the world other than send a handful of troops or a handful of foreign aid from time to time?

We sure have a boatload of problems and sins from the past, but there is one thing for sure. If not for us, there would be no free Israel. There would be no free Kuwait. There would be no free Europe, and there would be no free Australia.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2021, 03:20 AM
    Do you really believe Trump "grew" the economy?
    of course . He lowered taxes and investments grew substantially . That grew jobs to record levels . All benefited including minorities . Quid and Yellen want to reverse that and that will be a disaster . Also Yellen's plan for a global tax rate will fail miserably because lower tax rates elsewhere will attract business . Idiots want to raise taxes during a pandemic . The EU will go with it because their taxes are already high ;and their national businesses react as they rationally should ..... moving out .
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2021, 03:25 AM
    and here is more proof that Quid is an American Firster (at least rhetorically) .....only he sucks at it .

Biden willing to negotiate on corporate taxes, but 'sick and tired' of non-payers | Reuters

"The president argued that the United States’ position as a pre-eminent global power was under threat from China if the investments he outlined were not made, saying it would be unacceptable not to move forward.
    “America is no longer the leader in the world because we’re not investing,” Biden said. “I don’t know why we don’t get this.”
    China, he said, is “counting on American democracy to be too slow, too limited and too divided to keep pace” and “we can’t afford to prove them right.”
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 8, 2021, 04:07 AM
    Nothing wrong with cleaning up your own house, before you beech about the other guys house! Lead by example?
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2021, 04:09 AM
    yup America first

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Exceptionalism?? Harrumph! [ 119 Answers ]

Hello: America is 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, 3rd in median household income, and number 4 in exports. We are exceptional at only 3 things: the rate of incarceration per capita, the amount of people who believe in...

Can an American citizen easily file a divorce with a non-american citizen? [ 12 Answers ]

She entered through a K1 visa. She later decide to go back to her home country. Because of this, she couldn't get back to the US as she also had some troubles with visa. Can her husband file and process a divorce without his wife consent?

I am married from an american ,when do I get my green card and american passport [ 1 Answers ]

I am from kingdom of bahrain, married from an american citizen since November 2009. I need to know about my right in getting the american passport or green card. My husband live with me in my country.

Can I gain american citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain American citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? I am a British Citizen and in my early twenties, am I able to still gain dual citizenship? My mother was born in America although she lives in the Uk. I also have an English cousin who married an American in the last...

The NY Slimes & American Exceptionalism [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: From an obituary today in the NY Slimes: "Col. Harold E. Fischer Jr., an American fighter pilot who was routinely tortured in a Chinese prison during and after the Korean War, becoming — along with three other American airmen held at the same prison — a symbol and victim of cold war...

View more questions Search