Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2021, 11:07 AM
    Is one denomination more "Christian" than another?
    Considering that there are a vast numbers of Christian denominations, does it matter which denomination someone belongs to?
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2021, 02:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Considering that there are a vast numbers of Christian denominations, does it matter which denomination someone belongs to?
    I don't think it matters but others may disagree.

Some denominations themselves seem to find it important, even to the extent of assigning different Christian believers to eternal torture in hell. This is mostly true among fundamentalists and evangelicals, and is not as widespread as it once was. In the Middle Ages, it was held by the dominant denomination - Roman Catholicism.

Catholicism evolved to the belief that salvation depended on acting according to one's informed conscience. It is called Primacy of Conscience. By this tradition, all religions are able to find salvation. Even atheists, presumably, are included.

The fundamentalist/evangelical tradition continues to hold the extreme position which they support by a literal interpretation of the Bible.

The Catholic Church retains to itself the "fullest" expression of the religious impulse.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 23, 2021, 11:14 AM
    I don't think it matters
    Nice.

Why there are Different denomination:
    I understand it having to do with where you are at in your Faith. Paul said, "Those that are strong in the faith can eat meat, those who are weak in the faith...

It is tragic how the church has been split and divided over the most ridiculous things. It would be great if we could recognize that we have differences of feelings, convictions, or opinions on the different issues involving the Christian walk.  We 'need' to recognize that people have different convictions, that not everybody is going to see the thing the right way like I see it.

Might be a good idea;
    if we disagree, we disagree agreeably, to accept those weaker brothers in the faith.

We then that are strong [strong in the faith] ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves (Rom 15:1).
    (I need to put up with him and not live for my own pleasure.)

Let every one of us please his neighbor for his good to build him up (Rom 15:2).
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2021, 11:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    We 'need' to recognize that people have different convictions, that not everybody is going to see the thing the right way like I see it.
    And that's the crux of the problem. Far too many Christians agree with that, that their way is the right way, the only way.

Apr 23, 2021, 02:49 PM
    You [we] have got to respect the right of people to be wrong and not create a big dissension over the differences.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2021, 02:52 PM
    You [we] have got to respect the right of people to be wrong and not create a big dissension over the differences.
    Exactly, waltero! Or...maybe just maybe "you [we]" are wrong and making a big kerfuffle over nothing.

Apr 23, 2021, 02:57 PM
    A good rule is live to please God, not live to please myself. Living to please yourself can create a stumbling block for weaker brothers, so in love, because it would please God, be gracious. Don't exercise your liberty in such a way as to cause offense.

I use to have a problem with going to Church. I don't mind visiting different denominations. You can find a word of Truth in most. Over and over the Lord reminds me that it is His church, and because it is His church, I have no business worrying about it. I no longer worry a bout what church I should visit on any given Sunday.

God is in control.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2021, 02:59 PM
    A good rule is live to please God, not live to please myself. Living to please yourself can create a stumbling block for weaker brothers, so in love, because it would please God, be gracious. Don't exercise your liberty in such a way as to cause offense.
    Yes, love God and, in His name and by His example, love each other.

Apr 23, 2021, 03:54 PM
    His example
    This is where you loose me. What Is "His" example and where can I find it (his example)?
    Simply Asking. I want to know if Jesus is somewhere unbeknownst to me?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 23, 2021, 04:36 PM
    This is where you loose me. What Is "His" example and where can I find it (his example)?
    Simply Asking. I want to know if Jesus is somewhere unbeknownst to me?
    The four Gospels are full of stories about Jesus' love for others, even for people he didn't know.

Look over this site:
    https://www.whatchristianswanttoknow...s-showed-love/

Apr 23, 2021, 11:53 PM
    The four Gospels are full of stories about Jesus' love for others, even for people he didn't know.
    AH, Gotcha. I just wanted to know if we were on the same page...didn't want to be missing out on something.

Or...maybe just maybe "you [we]" are wrong and making a big kerfuffle over nothing.
    I Don't think we're on the Same page anymore Toto.
    Don't lose faith WG. It's not meant to be taken as; who knows more. It's all In Christ Jesus.
    We all belong to the Same body.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 08:06 AM
    We all belong to the Same body.
    And God's love is bigger than we can inagine!

Apr 24, 2021, 08:55 AM
    And God's love is bigger than we can imagine!
    Sorry, If you could please explain? Does that mean we are to Imagine God's love as being unattainable? Or more of a reason why we shouldn't even try to 'imagine' God's love?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 09:06 AM
    Sorry, If you could please explain? Does that mean we are to Imagine God's love as being unattainable? Or more of a reason why we shouldn't even try to 'imagine' God's love?
    We are human. We love. We hate. We have various feelings in between those two. God is love, only love. God loves even those who are, to us, not worthy of love. We can't understand that, but we will one day.

Apr 24, 2021, 10:50 AM
    And God's love is bigger than we can imagine!
    I was just wondering if "God's big love" should be identified with ones own imagination.
    Maybe a better thought: God’s love is great— so great that it surpasses our knowledge.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 11:28 AM
    Maybe a better thought: God’s love is great— so great that it surpasses our knowledge [and understanding].
    Excellent, waltero!

Apr 24, 2021, 11:36 AM
    Ephesians 3:19 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Can you imagine the freedom that would come to our hearts from having full confidence in the love of Christ?

I rephrased this:
    We are human. We love. We hate. We have various feelings in between those two. God is love, only love. God loves even those who are, to us, not worthy of love. We can't understand that, but we will one day.
    Replaced God with We.
    We are human. We love. We hate. We have various feelings in between those two. 'We' is love, We love even those who are, to us, not worthy of love. We have to understand that, and We will be full of confidence in the love of Christ?
    Ephesians 3:19
    To know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
    Thankfully, embracing God’s love for ourselves destroys the fear of criticism.
    Or...maybe just maybe "you [we]" are wrong and making a big kerfuffle over nothing.
    Turn the page.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2021, 12:10 PM
    Nicely stated and rephrased, waltero!

Apr 25, 2021, 07:20 AM
    Nicely stated and rephrased, waltero!
    Thanks.
    Going for broke!
    Quote: Wondergirl
    The Bible (not the Word)
    rephrased:
    The Bible is the Word.
    The Bible (not the Word) has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time.
    rephrased:
    The Word (not the Bible) has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time.

I gather that your disappointment in the Bible is based on there being; so many Christian denominations? so many Bible versions? so many variations in Christian beliefs? As a result of "the Bible has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time"?

I hope your not reading this with the belief that I am trying to set you up.
    Hoping that I might be able to learn something new.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 09:51 AM
    The Bible (not the Word) has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time.
    waltero, I was thinking of Jesus as the Word. He is the personification of the written and spoken Word. The testimony that God revealed through the Old Testament prophets was made human (Jesus Christ). Therefore, the Word became flesh.
    I gather that your disappointment in the Bible is based on there being; so many Christian denominations? so many Bible versions? so many variations in Christian beliefs? As a result of "the Bible has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time"?
    I'm not disappointed in the Bible. I'm disappointed in humans who have, for millennia, mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood the Bible, thereby opening the door to myriads of denominations, Bible versions, and variations in beliefs (thus, the plethora of denominations).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Bizarre", "Lunacy", "Dangerous", "Idiotic" [ 401 Answers ]

These are some of the global reactions to Trump's incredibly moronic idea of doctors testing the injection of disinfectants into the human body to cure Covid-19. The makers of Lysol had to go so far as to issue a statement that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any of their products be injected,...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name. [ 1 Answers ]

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name.

View more questions Search