Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 25, 2021, 02:30 PM
    Original Quote:
    The Bible (not the Word) has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time. Why are there so many Christian denominations? Why are there so many Bible versions? Why are there so many variations in Christian beliefs?
    A Question has presented itself- yes - no?

humans who have, for millennia, mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood the Bible, thereby opening the door to myriads of denominations, Bible versions, and variations in beliefs (thus, the plethora of denominations).
    "Humans have for millennia, mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood the Bible."- "thus being the reason, for this- "thus, the plethora of denominations"? thereby, providing the Proof, that the Bible has been Corrupted"???
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2021, 03:28 PM
    waltero, please ask your questions simply and as a 1, 2, 3 list.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2021, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wondergirl View Post
    lolol.

Apr 25, 2021, 09:36 PM
    OK:
    1)-Is one denomination more "Christian" than another?
    2)-The Bible (not the Word) has existed for millennia and has been mistranslated, misinterpreted, and misunderstood all that time. Why are there so many Christian denominations? Why are there so many Bible versions? Why are there so many variations in Christian beliefs?
    3)-Am I [we] wrong and making a big kerfuffle over nothing?
    -Will this work-?

Why are there so many Christian denominations? Why are there so many Bible versions? Why are there so many variations in Christian beliefs?

I'd like to find the answer? I think I found it, but if you already know the answer then I will buzz off.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 10:52 AM
    1) Is one denomination more "Christian" than another?

Until the Protestant Reformation, the Christian Church was largely composed of only two groups or "denominations": the Roman Catholic Church in the west and the Greek Orthodox Church in the east.

With the Reformation, however, as neglected Bible truths began to be restored and emphasized, different denominations arose holding different doctrinal positions on a number of issues. Sometimes these differences were rather minor; in other cases, they were quite significant.

Other Christian denominations grew up around a gifted spiritual leader, such as Martin Luther (Lutherans), John Calvin (Calvinists), John Wesley (Methodists), or in more modern times Joseph Smith (Mormonism) and Mary Baker Eddy (Christian Science).

https://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questio...-denominations

Is one better or more Christian than another?

According to the New Testament, there were divisions in the church as soon as the church came into existence after Pentecost. Paul addresses divisions in 1 Corinthians 1: 12-13. Since the division in Christianity existed at the beginning, I believe no one denomination can lay claim to being the one true way of Christianity.

C.S. Lewis puts it best in Mere Christianity: Christianity is like a hall with several doors leading to rooms. The doors represent different Christian denominations or churches. Growing in your faith comes from the benefits of being in one of the rooms. Lewis recommends going into a room versus staying in the hall, he does not recommend one room over another.

Apr 26, 2021, 12:40 PM
    I believe no one denomination can lay claim to being the one true way of Christianity.
    Do they lay claim to that (being "the one true way")?
    Faith means believing God’s Word.
    No, it doesn't. Try again.
    What is it I'm missing?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Do they lay claim to that (being "the one true way")?
    Many of them do, yes. Those denominations believe they have it all figured out.
    What is it I'm missing?
    Yes, faith is belief in God's Word...but is there only one way to understand it and believe?

Apr 26, 2021, 01:53 PM
    but is there only one way to understand it and believe?
    I know of only one; the Holy Bible.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 02:15 PM
    I know of only one; the Holy Bible.
    I asked, is there only one WAY [the Lutheran way, the Mormon way, the Catholic way, etc.] to understand it...?

Apr 26, 2021, 05:23 PM
    I asked, is there only one WAY [the Lutheran way, the Mormon way, the Catholic way, etc.] to understand it...?
    We may modify our language, but we cannot change our hearts.
    The alienation that exists is addressed by the reconciliation that is provided in the work of Jesus

Ultimately, if the Bible is to be brought home to us, it must come, as it were, through the lips of Jesus himself—that by the Holy Spirit, it is not enough simply to hear the voice of a mere man, but in it, through it, and beyond it, we actually hear Christ. So, we have this wonderful record of what God has done, beginning this work of transformation, putting us in a right relationship with himself and in a unique relationship with one another.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 05:53 PM
    Ultimately, if the Bible is to be brought home to us, it must come, as it were, through the lips of Jesus himself—that by the Holy Spirit, it is not enough simply to hear the voice of a mere man, but in it, through it, and beyond it, we actually hear Christ.
    And all of those denominations would say and do that. Then, if I'm unchurched, which one should I join?

Apr 26, 2021, 05:59 PM
    And all of those denominations would say and do that. Then, if I'm unchurched, which one should I join?
    Would it matter? Pick up a Bible is probably going to be the best choice.
    Unchurched would want to join a church, why?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 26, 2021, 06:02 PM
    Would it matter?
    That's an excellent question! Now let's invite other members into this discussion.

Is Methodism much different from Mormonism or Catholicism? If so, do their differences really matter as to salvation?
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2021, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    That's an excellent question! Now let's invite other members into this discussion.

Is Methodism much different ftom Mormonism or Catholicism? If so, do their differences really matter as to salvation?
    Thank you for the invitation.

I think that differences in Christian denominations do not matter as to salvation.

I also think differences in religion (Jew, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc.) and/or absence of religion (atheism, agnosticism) also do not matter as to salvation.

What I think matters as to salvation is living your life according to the lights you have been given. Christ and other spiritual masters have given the way to such a life.

I believe this because insisting that God prefers one denomination or religion or lifestyle over another would mean that God has created the overwhelming majority of humanity to not be worthy of salvation.

The question of evil is not so simple. The best answer I have is that those individuals who are truly evil and promote their evil are subject to death as a finality. But it's possible they too can experience salvation.

Apr 26, 2021, 10:12 PM
    living your life
    living your life- is this your source or means of being saved?
    Being transformed in and of yourself?

lights you have been given
    We have nothing. We've been given nothing. It is by God's grace (something he offers)...for everyone who will receive His gift of salvation
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2021, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Thank you for the invitation.

I think that differences in Christian denominations do not matter as to salvation.

I also think differences in religion (Jew, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, etc.) and/or absence of religion (atheism, agnosticism) also do not matter as to salvation.

What I think matters as to salvation is living your life according to the lights you have been given. Christ and other spiritual masters have given the way to such a life.

I believe this because insisting that God prefers one denomination or religion or lifestyle over another would mean that God has created the overwhelming majority of humanity to not be worthy of salvation.

The question of evil is not so simple. The best answer I have is that those individuals who are truly evil and promote their evil are subject to death as a finality. But it's possible they too can experience salvation.
    Athos you make that sound so simple and easy without all the human complications, proclamations, and solicitations! What do threats and lectures have to do with spirituality anyway? Isn't salvation a unique thing to the believer or does it have to be dictated by some dufus.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Athos you make that sound so simple and easy without all the human complications, proclamations, and solicitations!
    Certainly life is difficult. I never said or implied otherwise.

What do threats and lectures have to do with spirituality anyway?
    What are you referring to? Surely nothing in my post.

Isn't salvation a unique thing to the believer or does it have to be dictated by some dufus.
    Huh? I couldn't have been any clearer - salvation depends on how a life is lived. Asking if it "has to be dictated by some dufus" is nowhere near what I wrote.

You are inserting much into my post that simply isn't there. Why?
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 11:22 AM
    living your life- is this your source or means of being saved?
    Being transformed in and of yourself?
    Why do you mangle my words? Are you trying to create animosity?

We have nothing. We've been given nothing. It is by God's grace (something he offers)...for everyone who will receive His gift of salvation
    You have been given much. It's right there in your own sentence. Your insistence on not understanding simple things is growing old.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 27, 2021, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Certainly life is difficult. I never said or implied otherwise.

What are you referring to? Surely nothing in my post.

Huh? I couldn't have been any clearer - salvation depends on how a life is lived. Asking if it "has to be dictated by some dufus" is nowhere near what I wrote.

You are inserting much into my post that simply isn't there. Why?
    Not my intent to insert anything to what you posted, but just agreeing and obviously I resent others defining MY salvation or anyone else's . Not you, but the dufus who trolls this forum. So no need to get your back up, I just found your logical posting rather easy to agree with.
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2021, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Not my intent to insert anything to what you posted, but just agreeing and obviously I resent others defining MY salvation or anyone else's . Not you, but the dufus who trolls this forum. So no need to get your back up, I just found your logical posting rather easy to agree with.
    Lol - I didn't have my back up - I was genuinely interested in what you posted being such a voice for reason on these pages.

Tks for explaining.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"Bizarre", "Lunacy", "Dangerous", "Idiotic" [ 401 Answers ]

These are some of the global reactions to Trump's incredibly moronic idea of doctors testing the injection of disinfectants into the human body to cure Covid-19. The makers of Lysol had to go so far as to issue a statement that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should any of their products be injected,...

Lyrics "now the rain." " I was watching for the people"... "started to pray"... [ 1 Answers ]

This was a song that used to play on 'western music' in early 90's. It was sung by a male with a chorus... can someone help me please...

Collector's Guild LTD, NY- "original etching" "Pour Roby" Picasso "Star Scene" J Moro [ 0 Answers ]

Both pictures have stickers on the back stating with a "certification seal" that the Picasso is a original etching and the Joan Miro is a lithograph. Moro looks real to me but I can't take the frames off to feel if the paint is real or maybe I don't know what a lithograph should feel like just a...

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name. [ 1 Answers ]

What christian male group sings the song " I Know" and what's the cd name.

View more questions Search