Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2021, 08:53 PM
    Question regarding tax status in Missouri
    Hello,

I am trying to determine my residency status for Missouri state tax. I moved spent more than 6 months in Missouri last year and maintained my permanent place of residence there for that time period. For residency, they have 2 questions:

1. Did you maintain a permanent place of residency in Missouri?
    2. Did you spend more than 183 days in Missouri?

I know I'm a Yes for 2 but I'm not clear about the first question. Is it only for that time period or is it the whole year? Please advise.

Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2021, 09:09 PM
    You have in fact established residency in Missouri, but you are only a part-year resident.

When you file your 2020 return, you will need to file as a part-year resident of Missouri and whichever state you left.
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2021, 12:21 PM
    Thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 29, 2021, 02:17 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quick Claim Deed Question in Missouri [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to transfer a property that I own outright to a relative in Missouri. I am thinking of a quick claim deed. The property is worth approximately $90,000. I am basically giving this property to my relative. I have done some research and found that there is no fee for the transfer in...

Alaska and Missouri tax question [ 3 Answers ]

We own two homes. One in Alaska and one in Missouri. Alaska home is our primary residence and my husband works only in the state of Alaska. We file our tax returns in Alaska. I have the opportunity to work in Missouri and was wondering that if I file a nonresident return in Missouri to declare my...

Question about Property after divorce (Missouri) [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and ex-wife are still listed on a mobil home title from when they were married. They are now divorced and both were awarded 50% each of the home. His ex-wife has filed bankruptcy on the property along with abandonment of it. We have made an agreement with the financial company to assume...

Tax status question... Please Help... [ 1 Answers ]

I was staying with my wife and kid on L1 VISA from April 2008 to July 2009. My wife is not working either in India nor in USA. I filed Married filing jointly for both 2008 and 2009 FY's. Later we returned to India and I alone came back to US in March 2010. I stayed alone in US till Dec 2010. My...

View more questions Search