Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2021, 06:26 PM
    if only container ships could go door to door
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2021, 06:36 PM
    If only fedex delivery trucks could go across oceans.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2021, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If only fedex delivery trucks could go across oceans.
    They have aircraft, they don't wait for slower transport
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2021, 12:45 AM
    If land transport is so expensive why are there fleets of huge trucks on the highways,
    There are no canals between the goods and their final destination . Also passenger rail was always a fools dream . Freight by rail is under utilized . Still the only logical way to service a global market with goods is by sea. Over 70 % of the earth is covered by water .
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2021, 04:25 AM
    If land transport is so expensive why are there fleets of huge trucks on the highways,
    Moving super large cargo loads by ship is the most economical means of shipping we have. The man who claimed to be a better economist than Trump should surely know that.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2021, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Moving super large cargo loads by ship is the most economical means of shipping we have. The man who claimed to be a better economist than Trump should surely know that.
    It only works when there are no delays or disasters
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2021, 05:21 AM
    It only works when there are no delays or disasters
    Which, like I said earlier, occurs so infrequently that it's not worth considering. It is, by far, the least expensive means of shipping on the planet.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2021, 04:17 PM
    You do know that all this shipping from place to place is a flawed idea. One day, because of AGW or maybe just common sense, local manufacture will be more attractive. the cheapest form of shipping is a minimalist approach or not necessary. Now I know that this casts down the idea of a profitable multinational run by slaggarts in New York or Palm Springs or Mar-de-largo but
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2021, 06:06 PM
    You do know that all this shipping from place to place is a flawed idea. One day, because of AGW or maybe just common sense, local manufacture will be more attractive. the cheapest form of shipping is a minimalist approach or not necessary.
    That's quite an idea.
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2021, 06:12 PM
    Yes, just plain economic sense, and counter intuitive. Putting all your manufacturing in one place off shore is a recipe for disaster
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2021, 05:19 AM
    Putting all your manufacturing in one place off shore is a recipe for disaster
    We haven't reached that point yet or even come close to it, but I think you have a valid point in that strategic products such as computers need to be closely regulated as to place of manufacture.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2021, 06:16 AM
    I think many things need to be treated as strategic and the place of manufacture closely controlled
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2021, 02:51 PM
    Capitalists don't believe in that kind of control, Clete, nor should they in my opinion. They should be flexible when stuff happens though as we all should. As a matter of course though location for manufacturing is generally condition based with a complex multitude of factors subject to a rather extensive cost benefit analysis and feasibility study.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2021, 03:42 PM
    Oh Please, tell me you don't have strategic industries
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2021, 05:23 PM
    Of course we do. Private contractors supply many government agencies and functions, both from here and abroad. Just wondering what you were yammering about now.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2021, 07:30 PM
    China the low cost country with the high cost objectives

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain a real-world problem that you used math to solve. What mathematical expressio [ 3 Answers ]

Explain a real-world problem that you used math to solve. What mathematical expressions or equations did you use in your problem solving? Define your variables and explain your expression. After you've provided one worked out example, include a similar problem for your classmates to work.

In the real world, dividends [ 0 Answers ]

In the real world, dividends Answer are usually more stable than earnings. fluctuate more widely than earnings. tend to be a lower percentage of earnings for mature firms. are usually changed every year to reflect earnings changes, and these changes are randomly higher or...

In the real world, Dividends [ 1 Answers ]

in the real world, dividends -are usually more stable than earnings -fluctuate more widely than earnings -tend to be a lower percentage of earnings for mature firms -are usually changed every year to reflect changes, and these changes are randomly higher to lower, depending on whether earnings...

Going out for the REAL WORLD. Vote for me? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Posted quite a few questions and comments on here and so thought maybe some of you would have my back. I submitted myself to go onto the next season of the Real World. I would GREATLY appreciate it if I got your vote! :D

Returning to the real world [ 22 Answers ]

After a few years of being addicted to Oxycontin I have finally began an outpatient treatment program as of a few months ago. It has really served me well and helped kep me out of trouble I could have potentially put myself in, but now I am trying to take the steps it takes to create a stable life...

View more questions Search