Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2021, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Hmmm time to put on the conspiracy hat again.

China and Iran sign a major economic deal reported yesterday...this right after a massive cargo ship runs aground in the Suez blocking Western access to ME oil .

Iran and China sign 25-year cooperation agreement | Reuters

Iranian Ambassador to Russia, Kazem Jalali, proposed activating a shipping line that passes through Iran as an alternative to the Suez Canal.

Iran proposes alternative shipping line to Suez Canal (aa.com.tr)

has anyone pointed out there are some high mountains in the way of that route, might as well build a road
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2021, 10:50 PM
    It has moved
    Not far but it has moved, good news for someone anyway
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 29, 2021, 03:25 PM
    The wind beached it, the tide unbeached it. Man watched.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2021, 03:43 PM
    Iran thinks it is a viable route but besides mountains ;the route employs passage through the Artic Barents Sea, Kara Sea, Laptev Sea, East Siberian Sea, Chukchi Sea, and partially the Bering Sea in the Pacific Ocean.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2021, 04:40 PM
    What are you talking about, it is the Caspian route?

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The wind beached it, the tide unbeached it. Man watched.
    Not entirely true
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2021, 04:18 AM
    the tide unbeached it.
    Yep. That's not correct at all. If man had just "watched", the ship would still be blocking the canal.
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2021, 11:31 AM
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2021, 03:01 PM
    I sure thought the Suez Canal was bigger than that!! 8D
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2021, 05:38 PM
    so did joe
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2021, 02:37 PM
    and now the lawyers make a blockage
    https://www.news.com.au/national/bre...164d47386382f7

the Ever Given has been seized by Egypt, apparently the Japanese owners don't think they should compensate Egypt in any way. the claim is $900 million so there she stays with $7 billion in goods which is a lesson to shippers, don't put your container on the biggest carrier. What price China's Belt and Road now, the alternative must be looking good
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 11:26 AM
    No doubt they'll eventually hash it out!
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2021, 03:26 PM
    No they will make a hash of it while they smoke their hash
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2021, 03:58 PM
    What price China's Belt and Road now, the alternative must be looking good
    lol maybe we should put freight on the back of the camel .

There is too much reliance on freight transportation by road already .

It was a freak accident . I don't know exactly the liability laws . Seems to me that Egypt is holding the ship and freight as hostage .
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2021, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    lol maybe we should put freight on the back of the camel .

There is too much reliance on freight transportation by road already .

It was a freak accident . I don't know exactly the liability laws . Seems to me that Egypt is holding the ship and freight as hostage .
    no the ship was salvaged, there is a bill, no doubt subject to negotiation, this wouldn't be the first ship seized for costs, my own government has done the same when dealing with recaliciant owners
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2021, 04:44 AM
    no the ship was salvaged, there is a bill, no doubt subject to negotiation, this wouldn't be the first ship seized for costs, my own government has done the same when dealing with recaliciant owners
    That does seem to make sense.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2021, 05:10 AM
    salvage aside ;Clete was trying to make the point that this is an example of why land transport of goods is a better option. I disagree ;especially when speaking of an alternative being the Belt and Road . The Silk Road was a sound idea during the days of Marco Polo ;and stayed that way until the Fall of Constantinople . Then the world realized that it needed a reliable movement of goods over the seas .
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2021, 05:31 AM
    Well Tom I sure alternatives will be explored, the Polar route is an erstwhile option but this suggests we should stop building bigger and bigger ships and perhaps make them faster, meanwhile overland routes could be significantly upgraded
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2021, 07:00 AM
    salvage aside ;Clete was trying to make the point that this is an example of why land transport of goods is a better option
    Land transport would be far more expensive and likely subject to many more hinderances. Bigger and faster ships are a great idea.
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2021, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Land transport would be far more expensive and likely subject to many more hinderances. Bigger and faster ships are a great idea.
    Until they get stuck in the canal, sunk in storms. Being bigger doesn't mean faster, in fact the biggest ships are slow ponderous beasts. If land transport is so expensive why are there fleets of huge trucks on the highways, Land transport has proven to be fast and relatively inexpensive, the only reason we still use ships is there are no bridges between continents and the infrastructure isn't up to the standard needed
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2021, 05:53 PM
    Until they get stuck in the canal, sunk in storms.
    Which happens once every bazillion years.

Being bigger doesn't mean faster,
    Who said it did?

the only reason we still use ships is there are no bridges between continents
    That and the fact that it is FAR cheaper to ship by container ship.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain a real-world problem that you used math to solve. What mathematical expressio [ 3 Answers ]

Explain a real-world problem that you used math to solve. What mathematical expressions or equations did you use in your problem solving? Define your variables and explain your expression. After you've provided one worked out example, include a similar problem for your classmates to work.

In the real world, dividends [ 0 Answers ]

In the real world, dividends Answer are usually more stable than earnings. fluctuate more widely than earnings. tend to be a lower percentage of earnings for mature firms. are usually changed every year to reflect earnings changes, and these changes are randomly higher or...

In the real world, Dividends [ 1 Answers ]

in the real world, dividends -are usually more stable than earnings -fluctuate more widely than earnings -tend to be a lower percentage of earnings for mature firms -are usually changed every year to reflect changes, and these changes are randomly higher to lower, depending on whether earnings...

Going out for the REAL WORLD. Vote for me? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Posted quite a few questions and comments on here and so thought maybe some of you would have my back. I submitted myself to go onto the next season of the Real World. I would GREATLY appreciate it if I got your vote! :D

Returning to the real world [ 22 Answers ]

After a few years of being addicted to Oxycontin I have finally began an outpatient treatment program as of a few months ago. It has really served me well and helped kep me out of trouble I could have potentially put myself in, but now I am trying to take the steps it takes to create a stable life...

View more questions Search