Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2021, 02:46 PM
    Guess you'll never know, will you. No matter what I say or how I answer, you question my veracity.
    Not unless you tell us, and I've learned my lesson on that. It's like that unanswered PM I sent you. Silence often speaks volumes.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 06:34 AM
    Reparations are only meant to devide people further. There is no healing because you have to apply it unevenly. What about those that sold their prisoners into slavery from Africa? What do they owe to this process. What about those that have a legacy and never were slaves ? How far do you carry it and devide people like when you have a person the is mixed. Would they be entitled to the full amount ?
    Those decisions and others are going to drive a permanent wedge between people.
    Farmers are recieving funds - up to $173,000 in debt relief plus 20% just for the color of thier skin. But what about the farmers of color that did pay thier bills on time and regularly ? Why are we leaving them out if the payments are a way of creating equity. What about Oakland,Ca.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/24/us/oa...rnd/index.html

There is no true way to sort all of this out cleanly.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 07:57 AM
    Hey Dad, been a while but glad to see you still around. I respectfully submit that few experiments have worked that well for whatever reasons, so trying something different is just another step to solve age old problems in this country.

I also submit respectfully of course, that showing a guy how to fish is more productive than teaching submissive obedience to their "betters" who make the rules of the road exclusively in the first place.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 09:20 AM
    lol showing a guy to fish from the guy who thinks the Government should give the fish away .
    Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 09:23 AM
    If you labored for centuries under the lash and shenanigans of cheap cruel labor you would be looking to get paid too.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    lol showing a guy to fish from the guy who thinks the Government should give the fish away .
    No, not give it away - pay back what is owed.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 09:44 AM
    No I don't think I would . For ' centuries 'my ancestors survived day by day, and never until the 20th century having any thought of liberty or controlling their own destiny . Property in the old countries was subdivided and there was no opportunity to advance Booker T. Washington, in his memoirs 'The Man Farthest Down,' wrote “I saw Sicilian peasant families living in a single room with no chimney stone hearth for cooking (when there was food to cook)...one bunk (a heap of straw) upon which the entire family sleeps... the coarseness of such family existence is beyond description...”.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 10:11 AM
    No I don't think I would . For ' centuries 'my ancestors survived day by day, and never until the 20th century having any thought of liberty or controlling their own destiny . Property in the old countries was subdivided and there was no opportunity to advance Booker T. Washington, in his memoirs 'The Man Farthest Down,' wrote “I saw Sicilian peasant families living in a single room with no chimney stone hearth for cooking (when there was food to cook)...one bunk (a heap of straw) upon which the entire family sleeps... the coarseness of such family existence is beyond description...”.
    The issue is slavery - not the peasants of the past.
    Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 10:45 AM
    That's the very human story of many societies and in many places still exists...including here in the richest most advanced nation in the world.

As Athos points out, that's not what we are discussing. We're talking centuries of cruelty that still lingers to this day.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 11:26 AM
    centuries of cruelty that still lingers to this day.
    You really believe this exaggeration ? It does not help your case to say that America of 2021 is the same as 1619 ;is the same as the 1830s ;is the same as the 1880s is the same as the 1960s ; as you and the history revisionists would have us believe .
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2021, 11:38 AM
    You really believe this exaggeration ? It does not help your case to say that America of 2021 is the same as 1619 ;is the same as the 1830s ;is the same as the 1880s is the same as the 1960s ; as you and the history revisionists would have us believe .
    You're reading that wrong. An example of the lingering cruelty is the knee-jerk reaction of some cops when confronting a black person that could be a man, a woman, or a child. We've all seen plenty of that in very recent times.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 11:49 AM
    I wish I had a magic wand that would allow you to shop while Black, drive your 2017 SUV while Black, wear headphones and listen to lively music as you groove along on the village sidewalk while Black, stand in line at McDonald's while Black ... and so on.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2021, 11:57 AM
    And you would know all of this how?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    And you would know all of this how?
    I have eyes and ears.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2021, 01:12 PM
    So does everyone else.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 01:18 PM
    So does everyone else.
    Then you totally understand their frustration and even anger.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2021, 01:44 PM
    About as much as you do.

In the meantime, while white Americans pretend they understand their "frustration and even anger", the real problems black America faces, those being over 70% out of wedlock birth rate and being trapped in poor performing schools, go undiscussed and uncared about.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 02:39 PM
    being trapped in poor performing schools
    As I've posted before, this needs to change. Improving teacher education is the first challenge.
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2021, 03:02 PM
    There are many factors that figure into school performance. Out of wedlock births is a huge one.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 27, 2021, 03:09 PM
    There are many factors that figure into school performance. Out of wedlock births is a huge one.
    I'm talking about how the students who eventually become teachers are educated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy begins odor [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fishy smell to my vigina I think I have bv how can I cure it home?

12 year old dog begins biting [ 4 Answers ]

My neighbor's twelve year old Samoyed (beautiful dog) has recently begun biting. First, it bit another neighbor's dog, then today as I walked past while it was staked out (I thought the leash didn't reach that far), it bit me. First it bit me on the elbow causing a deep bruise and some skin...

And so the fun begins [ 30 Answers ]

Well its winter(not officially of course, but there is snow on the ground and that counts for something) and since my dog is a husky well you just know he'll want to be outside a lot not to mention how we are going to start skijoring soon. My question is I bought booties for him to protect the pads...

View more questions Search