Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tableclocks Posts: 432, Reputation: 2

Mar 21, 2021, 04:30 PM
    6-3 wire to garage
    cheapest way and safe to run 6-3 underground 75 ft to my garrage to a sub panel, sub panel will have its oun outside ground, so do i need to run the 6-3 w g or is 6-2 with the comon ok? is romex ok if i put it in a condoit, pvc a foot deep ok? or do i need the uf wire?
    thank you for time and help, richard
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2021, 10:39 AM
    You should use the 6-3 wire regardless of local grounding. That is the wire that will signal the breakers in the house to click off in the event of a short to ground. The NEC allows only from pole to meter, and meter to panel without ground, all others must have a continuous ground.

Romex is probably a bad idea. You can get spools of #6 THHN or cut length. In conduit, the insulation on romex poses additional problems that may interfere with NEC requirements, best to use individual wires pulled through conduit that are rated for wet applications. Probably need 1" conduit for #6 with ground. (Can be upwards of 3" with sheathed wires like romex)

You have the option of using direct burial wire. Granger has some #6 UF-B that may suit your application. Direct burial must rated for wet applications, and still contain a ground. You should still protect the wire with piping where it goes from dirt to home and dirt to garage, but you don't need piping all the way if you use direct burial rated wires.

1 foot deep is sufficient for conduit. The conduit provides some extra protection against shovels and whatnot, with UF rated cable, 24" is recommended.

Check your local codes though. I lived in one area where electrical lines needed to be 24" regardless of application, where I live now, you can get away with 6" below grade in conduit.

It doesn't hurt to call local electric/gas companies to check for buried wires and pipes too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 wire house to garage [ 2 Answers ]

I need to run 240volts to my garage. I'm using a 4 wire 2 black one green and black with white. My ? Where do I hook up the green and black with white at my house and in my garage's box

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

220 4 wire outlet in my garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 220 4 wire outlet in my garage that I want to change to a 3 wire 220 outlet to power a welder. How do I do this?

Hot wire from house to garage [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I have a garage with all wiring and futures in it and only problem I have is that I don't have any hot wire to garage and I find line goes to the garage from underground but line was dead and I couldn't find where line goes. Please, if anyone can help. My Q is how can I have new...

Bringing Wire into Unfinished Garage [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I haven't seen anything on this topic and since I'm trying to do it, I thought I'd ask. I'm running two circuits into my unfinished garage via my attic. Both will be homeruns to the first outlet. My question is how do I get them through the drywall and still maintain its fire...

View more questions Search