Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2021, 06:33 PM
    I have no need of a gun
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2021, 11:35 PM
    You don't need a gun until...you need a gun.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:10 AM
    as easy as buying a gun

Haven't bought a gun recently, have you? If we could get voter security that high (background check), all repubs would be happy.
    To get a covid vaccine you need to prove your eligibility/residency . They say it is to prevent line jumping and vaccination tourism . Actually a photo id is required for most things in life
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:24 AM
    Who said the right to own a gun is dependent on the need to own one ? There are many reasons for owning guns. I know someone who collects them . I know people who own them so they can go to the range and do target practice. I know people who have them for protection and the guns never leave their secured gun safe . (when seconds count the police are minutes away) I know hunters who use their guns all season . I know people who own them solely because it is their right to do so .

“Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people’s liberty teeth and keystone under independence…” George Washington .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 25, 2021, 02:50 PM
    Gladly listen to your take and solutions to these tragic shootings instead of the usual defense of 2nd amendment rights which amounts to a excuse to do NOTHING.

Show us what you got.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:20 PM
    Ban all automatic weapons for a start afterall the founding fathers didn't need them for their militia
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:31 PM
    Automatic weapons are already banned.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:35 PM
    really, what about automatic hand guns, automatic shot guns, self loading rifles
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:37 PM
    There is a difference between automatic and SEMI-automatic. Learn your terms.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:39 PM
    Ban all automatic weapons for a start afterall the founding fathers didn't need them for their militia
    Automatic weapons have been banned since the days of Al Capone. Funny . that did not prevent the Valentine's Day Massacre .
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2021, 03:45 PM
    To be clear, auto weapons cannot be imported or sold new, but you can purchase already owned auto weapons. The paperwork is staggering. I know a collector who owns both an AK and an M-16. Very hard to do. Or at least that's how it was explained to me.

when I was a boy someone (a cop I think) fired a Thompson sub for us. It was amazing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 25, 2021, 04:15 PM
    It's okay if you righties got no helpful ideas. I didn't expect any, but spare me the technical sermons. I asked for thoughts and ideas to stop gun violence or mass shootings by NUTS!
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 04:33 PM
    Got me . When I was a kid there was gun clubs in almost every high school in the country . In 1975, New York state had over 80 school districts with rifle teams. What changed ? The moral compass of the nation ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2021, 04:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Got me . When I was a kid there was gun clubs in almost every high school in the country . In 1975, New York state had over 80 school districts with rifle teams. What changed ? The moral compass of the nation ?
    What changed? "Deinstitutionalization of mental hospitals [that began in the 1960s as a way to improve the treatment of the mentally ill while also cutting government budgets] came into play in 1970 in the United States....During these days, state mental hospitals were regarded as institutions that deprived the mentally ill patients their freedom to associate with family and community members within the society. For instance, the United States Congress approved the Community Mental Health Centers Act that facilitated deinstitutionalization, thus getting out the mentally ill persons from confinements of the custodial institutions into deliberate medication at the community mental health institutions."
    https://www.lawyersnjurists.com/arti...itals-in-1970/

"Deinstitutionalization is the name given to the policy of moving severely mentally ill people out of large state institutions and then closing part or all of those institutions; it has been a major contributing factor to the mental illness crisis."
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...l/excerpt.html

Deinstitutionalization has created the situation where families and the community did not, and do not, support their mentally ill who didn't take their meds on time and at the correct dosage. The problems that resulted were, and still are, legion.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:19 PM
    well if that was the cause then Tal has his answer . I almost worked at one of those institutions. It was disgusting and morally reprehensible to treat patients that way .Handcuffs, leg irons, and whips were found in the hospital I almost was employed at . I was grossed out during my interview and declined the job opportunity .
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Lock the nuts up, if you can identify them before they commit mass murder, to do that you need the thought police. A moral compass only works with sane people, it doesn't work with drug dealers, addicts, and the just plain nuts of various hues. To start with no one under 25 years of age should be allowed to possess a gun, or for that matter, a weapon of any kind. Teaching kids to use weapons is like teaching kids to drink, they get a taste for it, and they are more into fantasy today than they ever were
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:28 PM
    The murder rate now is about the same that it was in 1960.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:31 PM
    and that justifies what, 400 million guns? you need to take a good long look at yourselves and ask a few important questions, like what is a human life worth, certainly not more than the price of a gun in the US
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2021, 05:44 PM
    The number of guns is not the problem.
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2021, 06:37 PM
    No the number of people with access to guns is the problem

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wolf and Crow [ 1 Answers ]

In my childhood I watched a movie which had a man who turned into a wolf and a woman who turned into a crow and they both tend to turn into these animals at different times. There was a mere second when they both sea each other in human form at the same time and somehow they were supposed to stay...

How does one respond to a quiet title suit where original owner in suit is deceased [ 7 Answers ]

Original owner named in suit and his heir to the small land lot (low value) are deceased. There have been 3 more owners since.

Fillibuster Proof Senate? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: Obama looks like he's going to be swept into office by a landslide. There is a very good chance that the Dems will wind up with 60 senate seats - meaning they can do anything they want, and the Republicans can't do a thing about it. Of course, they'll keep the house... What do...

Doing a crow pose [ 3 Answers ]

Is there a certain way to doing a crow pose or do I need to have perfect upperbody/ ab strength? This is a crow pose if you all don't know what the heck I'm talking about. http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Kc2S631_aUuuEM:http://colveyco.com/gallery-annex/yoga/plate-110.jpg

Jim crow [ 1 Answers ]

To what does the term "Jim Crow" refer?

View more questions Search