Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    That was the scenario I was responding to. Next thing I know, I'm talking to someone who watches church repeatedly. Oh well.
    Then PLEASE add an introductory phrase or sentence to let me know you are responding to the scenario I presented to waltero. I thought you were just being annoying.

I shouldn't connect online with churches and pastors? What other suggestions can you offer?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2021, 11:36 AM
    Me? Annoying?

I shouldn't connect online with churches and pastors? What other suggestions can you offer?
    I would hope you continue to do so.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 11:46 AM
    Me? Annoying?
    *whistles tunelessly*
    I would hope you continue to do so.
    Whew!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 12:27 PM
    I'll give a shot at it. I'd ask you if there was a reason why you do not attend church.
    Now that I understand this post of yours, I'd certainly disagree with that approach and your question. It's asked much too early in the possible relationship, is very nosy and even confrontational. Also, we psychotherapists encourage making "I" statements -- so as time goes on and as the friendship develops, "Oh, by the way, I attend XYZ church and would love to have you join me there next Sunday." Then listen carefully to the response.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2021, 12:42 PM
    This was the situation you presented. "Pretend you met me for the first time at the grocery store. We discovered, while standing in line at the deli, that we live on the same street and know some of the same people. You asked me if I attend any church. I vigorously shake my head "no" and say, "Yuk!" Walter, what would you say to me in response?"

Already, in your scenario, your rule has been broken. "You asked me if I attend any church." Certainly not an "I" statement and about as nosy as it gets, so you've already let the cat out of the bag. I wouldn't ask that to begin with, but that was your choice. If someone responded that firmly in the negative, I'd probably back up and say, "Sounds like you've had some negative church experiences." Bear in mind that in the deli line, you're not going to have all day long to psychoanalyze the person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 12:48 PM
    This was the situation you presented. "Pretend you met me for the first time at the grocery store. We discovered, while standing in line at the deli, that we live on the same street and know some of the same people. You asked me if I attend any church. I vigorously shake my head "no" and say, "Yuk!" Walter, what would you say to me in response?"

Already, in your scenario, your rule has been broken. "You asked me if I attend any church." Certainly not an "I" statement and about as nosy as it gets, so you've already let the cat out of the bag. I wouldn't ask that to begin with, but that was your choice. If someone responded that firmly in the negative, I'd probably back up and say, "Sounds like you've had some negative church experiences." Bear in mind that in the deli line, you're not going to have all day long to psychoanalyze the person.
    I'm impressed that you cracked that one wide open!
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2021, 12:54 PM
    I talk with people a lot and that includes strangers out in the public. I used the method Jesus used with the woman at the well. Ask something of interest to them and see if they respond with any interest.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 01:03 PM
    I talk with people a lot and that includes strangers out in the public. I used the method Jesus used with the woman at the well. Ask something of interest to them and see if they respond with any interest.
    "Ask something that might be of interest to them..."
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2021, 02:00 PM
    "Ask something that might be of interest to them..."
    OK Ms. Nit Pick.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 14, 2021, 02:18 PM
    OK Ms. Nit Pick.
    You bolded too many words.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Apr 14, 2021, 04:54 PM
    If you follow The Christ as your savior, why then are you not a Jew as he was, or did I miss his conversion?
    Not so much Follow. It is not I but Christ in me. I could become anything I wish, wouldn't change a thing...I'd still be a sinner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A Paean to the Republicans and Their Cult Leader Trump by Me and My Friend [ 24 Answers ]

Back in the year 2000 my conservative friend was all excited about the incoming George W Bush administration. Eight years of peace, prosperity and a balanced budget under Bill Clinton was just more than he could stand. After all, he had sex with an intern and had a D after his name. I warned...

Trump Taking Taxpayer Money for His Own Use [ 351 Answers ]

On Air Force flights from the US to Kuwait delivering supplies, a C17 was required to stop at an airport located near a Trump golf course in Scotland. There the flight purchased 1,000 gallons of aviation fuel at a price much higher than available at a US Air Force base. The crew was put up at...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

View more questions Search