Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mw3masterboi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2021, 09:59 AM
    H-4 to F-1 Tax filling with no income
    So in 2020, I was on an H-4 status for roughly 6 months and the remaining months I was on an F-1 visa. Before 2020, I had a status of H-4 for at least 10 years (from 2009). I also have no income for the year 2020.

My first question is am I considered to be a resident or a non resident for tax purposes? According to my interpretation of the Substantial Presence Test, I would be a resident (since the 6 months in 2020 and 1 year in 2019 of H-4 status is not exempt). Other similar posts on the internet indicate I would not be a resident due to my current F-1 status. But when I used Sprintax, it claimed I was a resident.

If I am considered to be a non-resident, then how would I go about filling out question 4a and 4b on the form 8843, where it asks to indicate the number of days exempt. Question 11 is also confusing as it takes to indicate the type of visa I held in the last 4 years, but it doesn't seem to give the option of an H type visa.

If I am a resident, should I just fill out the form 1040, indicating that my income is 0?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 7, 2021, 03:09 PM
    For 2020, you are a resident alien because of the Substantial Presence Test (SPT).

For 2021, you will be a non-resident alien because you are no longer subject to SPT.

You will report ALL world-wide income on your2020 return. On your 2021 return, you will declare only U.S.-sourced income.

ATE
    mw3masterboi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2021, 08:22 PM
    I see thanks for that clarification.

Do I still need to file a tax form, even if I don't have any income?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My washer keeps filling and then overflows because filling will not stop in the cycle [ 7 Answers ]

The washer then overflows because filling will not stop unless the cycle is advanced in the dial. Is it a problem with the solenoid or the timer? I have stopped using one cycle for automatically timed and went to another way to wash in a different cycle; but now both overflow unless I turn the...

Georgia State Income tax on interest income earned and received in a Foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

I have two questions related to the above: 1. Do I have to pay Georgia State tax on the interest income earned and received abroad ? 2.Can I claim credit for taxes paid overseas on this interest income?

Convert the Ekland absorption income statement to a contribution margin income statem [ 1 Answers ]

All divisions use standard absorption costing. The division has the capacity to produce 50,000 units a quarter and quarterly fixed overhead amounts to $500,000. Variable production cost is $45 per unit. Roland has been looking at the report for the first three months of the year and is not happy...

Income tax filling [ 2 Answers ]

I had invest money in my company. But no any income since last 2 years. No any income generated for me hoe can I file income tax.

Filling with no income [ 1 Answers ]

If I had no income besides child support do I still file for the child credit as well as the stimulus package?

View more questions Search