Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2021, 11:24 AM
    Regarding filing taxes in multiple states (MO and AR)
    Hello,

I was a part year resident of MO and AR in that order 2020 (roughly around 6 months each). I'm currently residing in AR and was on 12-31-2020 too. I've already filed my federal taxes.

My questions are :

1) For which state should I file my state tax first or the order doesn't matter?
    2) Tax software seems to be wanting a split of my interest income, dividend income and stocks sold. Is it ok if I split the amount based on duration of stay?

Please advise. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 4, 2021, 08:34 PM
    It does not matter the order in which they are filed.

If mailed, send a copy of the other state return with each submission; it answers a lot a questions before they can be asked.

Equally splitting the interest and dividends are okay, but let the stock sales dates dictate on which state to put the stock sales.

ATE
    collegian Posts: 57, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2021, 11:30 AM
    Thanks! I'll start with AR and then go back. Let's see how it goes.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 5, 2021, 11:32 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing taxes for multiple States [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in 3 states this year, moved for jobs. I am from CO, lived in CA for the summer, and am now in my third state. How do I file state taxes this year? Do I file in all 3 and what do I file as, temporary residency/ non-resident? Will the states only tax me on the income earned there or...

Married Filing Jointly Multiple States for Spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi folks, I had income for WA(3 months) and OR (9months) for the year 2009. My spouse had income only for 3 months. Her income is in CA and she resided WA (3months) and OR (9months). So essentially I have to file Non-Resident Tax for her in CA and file Resident Tax in OR. My question is can I...

Paying state taxes in multiple states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, For the first time, I had to pay state tax in CT and NC for 2008. After filing a form in CT, I got a letter that I still owe tax. On the form that I sent initially, I put the income from my federal tax form (W-2s from both states), and the income from just CT, which was so little that I...

Filing taxes from 4 different states. [ 1 Answers ]

I lived in Memphis, TN from January until June of 2007 then from August until November of 2007. I worked in Tennessee and also in Mississippi, so I received my forms from those respective states. However, the months I didn't mention, I lived in Illinois. I also worked in Illinois and Indiana. So I...

Filing taxes in 2 States [ 2 Answers ]

I am a resident of Texas and worked there for half of 2007. The other half I moved to South Carolina and am working full time and attending grad school without establishing residency. I have received both W2's for the year. One with my Texas address and one with my South Carolina address. What...

View more questions Search