Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AWidowsFuture Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Quit Claim off Deed
    My husband passed away in July 2006. Both of our names are on the deed of the house, but I'm not on either of the mortgages. He was approved for an interest only loan, and the property value has gone down $65,000.00 from purchasing price; and currently his loan balances are $20,000.00 more than the original purchasing price - basically the house is upside-down $85,000.00. I tried to refinance, but my credit isn't good enough to be approved. In addition, the IRS has filed a lien on the house for $35,000.00, for my husband's unpaid taxes. I have been trying to float the mortgages, paying the minimum payment which is all I can afford, for fear that losing the house would wreck my credit. At this point I'm willing to foreclose, because I'm not getting anywhere by holding on to the property. My questions are, is it possible to quit claim off the deed of the house? If so who will the judgement go against? Will I still be held responsible for unpaid property taxes? If I cannot quit claim would it be in my best interest to file bankruptcy? Please help, any information is appreciated. I'm looking for an attorney that will work pro bono, but in the meanwhile, I would really appreciate any insight regarding the matter.

Thank You.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Why would it hurt "your" credit, if you are not listed on any of the mortages, if you are not a co-signer, or if you are not listed on the loan, it is in his name.

While in theory if you are on the deed, and there are unpaid property taxes, they could come after you on that. But how much is the unpaid property tax? It is not the IRS lien that is a different tax. So you owe a few thousand to them after it is all said and done. ( if you owed a lot more than two years taxes they would have sold the house for back taxes by now.

And I don't see how you can file bankrutpcy on debts you don't owe ?
    My personal though, on the info you gave us , is walk away, let them foreclose. Then and only then if you find you are liable for any debts that are left you can decide if you need to file bankruptcy or not.

You may see if you have a legal aid society in your area, you will need copies of the IRS lien papers, both mortages, copy of the deed, and a copy of any back taxes owed on the property.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

We were given $10,000. In return for the sale of our non homestead property, with the understanding (verbal) that the investment company whom we sold it to would find financing for it. We have tried contacting the person who sold it to. He won't return our calls; and we have been contacted by...

Quit Claim Deed [ 5 Answers ]

I quit claim deed on my house couple years ago. I still live there but I want my house back. My family members have not paid the taxes like they should and I have been paying them. I heard that since I have been paying the taxes then I should be able to get my house back with no problem and them...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello: I have a myriad of financial issues at this point in time. I have about 65k of unsecured debt. I have no assets with equity in them. My home is fully mortaged with no equity. I am falling behind on my unsecured debts and I am worried that they will file a lien on my home residence. ...

View more questions Search