Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Some of my employees opted to do the same job they entered the company doing . Well their pay reflected that . They got cost of living adjustments annually that capped when they reached the highest pay allowed for their position.
    Are you criticizing their choice?

You've mentioned your work as an employment manager. Is that what you were - a personnel worker? It would help, as long as you brought it up, to know more specifically what you did.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 06:00 AM
    I thought I was clear . I managed a heath care manufacturing operation plant(pharmaceutical ;supplement ,vitamin etc) . The Human Resources sent me recruits and I made the call if they were hired .

Are you criticizing their choice?
    Not at all . I never pressured anyone to accept promotion except to make it understood that I thought it was in their interest and that I thought they could do the job.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 06:01 AM
    I thought I was clear . I managed a heath care manufacturing operation plant(pharmaceutical ;supplement ,vitamin etc) . The Human Resources sent me recruits and I made the call if they were hired .
    Ok - I missed that. Thank you.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2021, 06:24 AM
    Not at all . I never pressured anyone to accept promotion except to make it understood that I thought it was in their interest and that I thought they could do the job.
    I take your comment to mean that opportunities were there for those people, but they chose not to pursue them. That is fine, of course, but it would be a mistake to suggest years later that other societal factors had worked against them.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 07:33 AM
    I have seen people completely content to perform the same tasks year after year . Opportunities were always posted . As I have already mentioned ,there are multiple staffing positions to fill .We used recruiters to seek out applicants . We hired from temp firms What we never had was a long line of applicants looking for work . Even in lean years there were very few people who rang the bell asking to fill out an application .
    To be honest ;there were even fewer American born applicants .Most of my staff were Hispanic from many nations ;India natives and other Asian . That was also for line workers and supervisor positions . The VP I worked for was Puerto Rican .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 01:59 PM
    nice multiracial thing you have going
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 25, 2021, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    nice multiracial thing you have going
    It's a works in progress for sure but rest assured the progress will continue.
    Expert

Feb 25, 2021, 02:36 PM
    I have seen people completely content to perform the same tasks year after year . Opportunities were always posted . As I have already mentioned ,there are multiple staffing positions to fill .We used recruiters to seek out applicants . We hired from temp firms What we never had was a long line of applicants looking for work . Even in lean years there were very few people who rang the bell asking to fill out an application .
    To be honest ;there were even fewer American born applicants .Most of my staff were Hispanic from many nations ;India natives and other Asian . That was also for line workers and supervisor positions . The VP I worked for was Puerto Rican .
    One thing I've learned over the years is most people want to just have a secure honest living and then go home and enjoy their families. Few look to take over the company and would rather get overtime on a regular basis. We were a union shop though and kissing the bosses arse wasn't a consideration, for overtime or advancements.

Though some did LOL.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 03:59 PM
    I know what it is like to be management in a union shop . I compensated for union rules with strict enforcement of work place rules with no leniency . Sorry I would've preferred to turn a blind eye .... but . Eventually I went to a non-union environment where I could be more flexible and over look someone who missed being back at their work station on time because they were in a conversation with their child care provider .

As for over time .... my attitude was to allow it and to take the heat when the bean counters called and asking why I wasn't spreading it around . Why should I punish someone who wants to do the time instead of even bothering to ask someone who would tell me ......."more over time ...more taxes " ?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 09:26 PM
    Tom you should have explained that tax isn't 100% so, no, they don't get to keep all they earn but who does?
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2021, 05:00 AM
    I tried . Really I did .
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2021, 05:52 AM
    Tom you should have explained that tax isn't 100%
    I doubt he had any employees so stupid that they didn't already understand that. They weren't worried about taxes. They just wanted to go home.
    Expert

Feb 26, 2021, 01:53 PM
    Our experiences seem to be vastly different since workplace rules were a thing for both sides and we sort of worked things out amongst ourselves as you would expect from guys that spent a lot of their lives together. I had a lot of bosses ranging from the old school white shirt managers to the blue collar ones who came up through the ranks until the company went young with college grads who could input a computer but not a lot of people or job experience.

It was about getting the job done and going home the same way you came in and of course anybody can have a bad day but the deal was as we aged together we were very cool between workers and management especially as we had shared experiences together like shift work, so can't say as I relate to all your experiences.

Interesting differences though, but glad you're out of that rat race. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, you certainly earned it. I'll tell my Carolina peeps the guy with the glasses and funny accent ain't a good old boy and is pretty cool. 8D

Maybe leave the NY jersey at home!
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2021, 05:38 AM
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2021, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I doubt he had any employees so stupid that they didn't already understand that. They weren't worried about taxes. They just wanted to go home.
    Yeh no loyalty to the company
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2021, 01:40 PM
    Yeh no loyalty to the company
    As well as either no ambition for advancement, or no understanding of how it comes to pass.
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2021, 02:02 PM
    It was not a matter of loyalty to the company . It was a matter of self interest . i never forced anyone to do OT nor did I take it into account when filling out reviews . However ,when they were hired it was made clear to them that we operated a 6 day week and that there would be an abundance of OT . Some took classes after work . Some needed to be home with their children . The only reason that I spoke against was the ones who gave the 'more work more taxes ' line . And I gave it one shot to convince them otherwise . That was it . Later on ;when they decided they needed more lettuce I let them know that they were at the back of the line of the rotation.
    Expert

Mar 1, 2021, 09:22 AM
    We lived under the guidelines that a refusal of OT was counted the same as working, so yeah I can get with going back to the end of the rotation.

My beef has always been that those who didn't pay union dues got the same protections as those that did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President lincoln [ 3 Answers ]

The raliroad boom began in1862 when president Lincoln signed what?

Project topics for undergraduates final year project [ 2 Answers ]

I need accounting project topics for my final year project for undergraduates

Project topics in accounting for my final year project [ 1 Answers ]

I need three topics in accounting for my final year project as an undergradute

How does a change in a project's cost of capital affect the project's IRR [ 1 Answers ]

How does a change in the cost of capital affect the project's internal rate of return

Abe lincoln [ 1 Answers ]

What are all the intresting facts you know about abraham lincoln? I need some help How did lincoln get his nick-name "honest abe" ?

View more questions Search