Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 10:00 AM
    Wonder how many layoff notices Tom gave out in those 32 years of hiring given the lean times we've been through for the past decades.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 10:00 AM
    What will "pump" the economy is ending the lock downs . There is about $1.5 trillion of unspent consumer dollars in pent up demand . Open the markets and let the consumer solve the economy /
    But then the government would not be able to take the credit for sending out borrowed money to people who don't need it.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Some of my knowledge tells me it is a mistake to "pump " the economy with monopoly money . .

In case you hadn't noticed ;prices are rising rapidly . The home I purchased in January is selling almost $30,000 more than when I went to contract . Why ? The builder has to compensate for the cost of supplies . As more money primes the pump ,the value of the money decreases and it costs more dollars to buy the same goods .

Dollar’s Purchasing Power Drops to Record Low, Despite Aggressive “Hedonic Quality Adjustments” | Wolf Street

What will "pump" the economy is ending the lock downs . There is about $1.5 trillion of unspent consumer dollars in pent up demand . Open the markets and let the consumer solve the economy /
    You can't ignore the health crisis nor the effects on the economy we are in, or the fact that prices are going up but wages aren't following. Sometimes market solutions aren't strictly the answer, and one size doesn't fit all. Like half the country can even afford a NEW house. They barely can afford the rent.

What will pump the economy is resolving the covid problem.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 10:16 AM
    Wonder how many layoff notices Tom gave out in those 32 years of hiring given the lean times we've been through for the past decades.
    Very Few . Kept the staffing lean and mean . Many of the workers that were there when I was hired are still there . Turn over rate was low except recently . And that is because workers in this area have choices . I fired my share . But that was performance related . We made products that consumers count on for their health ,and not adhering to strict quality standards was not tolerated .
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 10:37 AM
    I wasn't as involved as Tom, but school principals do hiring and firing. I found that I could do myself a big favor by hiring really good people in the first place.

I was in a Target store in Austin a few months ago. They were paying fifteen dollars an hour as starting wages. The jobs are there for those who want them.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 01:02 PM
    Austin is in Texas where the job market is a lot better than most places. Washing cars starts at 12 bucks an hour.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 01:52 PM
    yes and there are more opportunities in NYC area than oh let's say just about anywhere else in NY State where the political leadership continues to refuse to allow the market to flourish .

You claim to be a proponent of the working class But you approve of policies that would prevent them from getting well paid work . If you think anyone is going to be able to provide a good life for themselves or their families by washing cars then I really can't help you . There are many people in upstate NY who can do better than car washing if the jobs were there . Across the border in PA entry level energy jobs are starting at $48,000 a year with on the job training
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 02:10 PM
    You know full well that's a mischaracterization of what I said, and you even mischaracterize your own words if you're implying anybody can just walk into those 48K a year energy jobs.

Just look up the minimum requirements and get the straight story. Go ahead, ask me how I know. While we're on that subject you can articulate those policies that you claim I espouse that prevent people from getting those good jobs.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 02:59 PM
    Across the border in PA entry level energy jobs are starting at $48,000 a year with on the job training.
    But since that doesn't fit the narrative that good jobs are hard to find, you can be sure it will be ignored by many here
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 03:39 PM
    you know as I do, good jobs are limited and good people even more so and matching the two is a difficult exercise
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    But since that doesn't fit the narrative that good jobs are hard to find, you can be sure it will be ignored by many here
    I know a lot about the trades and the requirements for those good hard to find jobs. You righties can't just walk in and get paid like you claim without qualifications. If you have them then you get a higher rate after a specific time of on the job training.

Ask me how I know!
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:15 PM
    if all you strive for is a job at the car wash then don't complain about your lot in life .
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:57 PM
    you know as I do
    We know as YOU do??? Sorry Clete, but you are sitting 10,000 miles away. You don't know squat about what is available here. I see it frequently. For instance, every large truck that goes by seems to have an ad on the back telling us to call a number to get a job driving. We are several hundred thousand drivers short of what could be used. There are jobs all over the place here, and we are scarcely an economic powerhouse of a state. Do they all pay 50K a year? No, but they are all a start, and a motivated person can move up the ladder if he/she is not spending most of the day feeling sorry for himself.
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 05:59 PM
    if all you strive for is a job at the car wash then don't complain about your lot in life .
    You've NEVER heard me complain about MY lot in life, just gratitude for ALL the blessings I've gotten along the way, including the ability to make delicious lemonade.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 06:24 PM
    including the ability to make delicious lemonade.
    my favorite non-alcoholic drink. I am preparing a fresh batch for my drive to South Carolina .

Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 06:34 PM
    Lemonade is the best. Well, perhaps behind grape juice.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 06:49 PM
    If all you can see is striving to work at a car wash, then don't complain about others lot in life. You should treat your superior attitude with a dash of compassion.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 07:10 PM
    compassion, that is for lefties
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    compassion, that is for lefties
    And you call yourself a Christian?
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2021, 05:47 AM
    If all you can see is striving to work at a car wash, then don't complain about others lot in life. You should treat your superior attitude with a dash of compassion.
    I did not bring up car washes . Tal did when dismissing j's observation that there were job opportunities in Austin.

Reality check . A job at a car wash for $12/hr is good pay for that position ;even in the NY market .

My compassion goes to that person if they think that is a more than just a starter job until a better opportunity comes along. When I was taking tickets at the movies or delivering papers I did not think that was the end of my job seeking . They were what they were ;starter jobs.

What I did as a manager was to evaluate talent and try to steer my employees to job openings that matched their skill set . I could not force them to take the job . All I could do was recommend they apply . Some of my employees opted to do the same job they entered the company doing . Well their pay reflected that . They got cost of living adjustments annually that capped when they reached the highest pay allowed for their position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President lincoln [ 3 Answers ]

The raliroad boom began in1862 when president Lincoln signed what?

Project topics for undergraduates final year project [ 2 Answers ]

I need accounting project topics for my final year project for undergraduates

Project topics in accounting for my final year project [ 1 Answers ]

I need three topics in accounting for my final year project as an undergradute

How does a change in a project's cost of capital affect the project's IRR [ 1 Answers ]

How does a change in the cost of capital affect the project's internal rate of return

Abe lincoln [ 1 Answers ]

What are all the intresting facts you know about abraham lincoln? I need some help How did lincoln get his nick-name "honest abe" ?

View more questions Search