Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2021, 09:42 AM
    I'm a supporter of two tiger shelters, one in Tennessee and one in Texas. The animals are well cared for but the shelters regularly ask for donations for tiger surgeries, for replacing walls, for adding housing for new arrivals, and especially for food. If I were a tiger, I'd rather take my chances in the wild and BE a tiger, not a caged "pet".
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2021, 10:14 AM
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2021, 01:50 PM
    I'm a supporter of two tiger shelters, one in Tennessee and one in Texas. The animals are well cared for but the shelters regularly ask for donations for tiger surgeries, for replacing walls, for adding housing for new arrivals, and especially for food. If I were a tiger, I'd rather take my chances in the wild and BE a tiger, not a caged "pet".
    People need help sometimes, so it's good of you to support those two facilities. I minister at a drug rehab center. It's a six month program and really not long enough. It's hard for people to change. Still, the objective must be to get out into the real world and support yourself.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2021, 02:06 PM
    to get out into the real world and support yourself.
    Normally, that would be quite possible. For years, I've helped people with job searching, resumes, cover letters, and interviewing, but with covid AND the horrible weather, along with the problems they have brought, finding a good job is almost impossible. Finding ANY job is almost impossible!
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2021, 03:43 PM
    finding a good job is almost impossible. Finding ANY job is almost impossible!
    I don't think that is at all true. I have seen MANY guys leave our drug rehab facility and have a decent job within a week. Some of those guys have criminal records and yet get jobs and get them fairly quickly. The primary two things is to really WANT to have a job and be willing to do virtually anything short of male prostitution, and to understand that if I want to eat, then I need to work. You might have to work two jobs. You might have to work sixty or seventy hours a week, but if you really are willing, then you can make it assuming you are relatively healthy both mentally and physically.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2021, 03:50 PM
    I don't think that is at all true. I have seen guys leave our drug rehab facility and have a decent job within a week.
    Such as?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2021, 03:57 PM
    while you are right that attitude is important, there also have to be jobs available, in some communities they are rare
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2021, 04:02 PM
    Such as?
    Working at a construction site. Working for a furniture store. Working at selling cars. Working as a plumber. The list would be long.

there also have to be jobs available, in some communities they are rare
    Then move to where there are jobs. In our state, which is not an economic giant, there are advertisements all over the place of people looking for workers. Now it might be a 12 dollar an hour job. If that's the case, then you work 60 hours a week for 12 an hour and that's 720 a week. You can make it on 720 a week. Then work harder than the guy beside you and move up the ladder. It happens all the time.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 23, 2021, 04:11 PM
    Working at a construction site. Working for a furniture store. Working at selling cars. Working as a plumber. The list would be long.
    Then they must have had previous experience in those jobs or related jobs.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 23, 2021, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Or you could be just one of many applicants.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2021, 05:04 PM
    don't ignore the facts tal employers look for experience
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2021, 05:51 PM
    In our area if you are willing to work you can get jobs. Experience is good but hardly necessary. Depends on the job of course, but right now it’s a workers market.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 04:38 AM
    Finding ANY job is almost impossible!
    The company I recently retired from is a manufacturing company that pays well . They have recruiters looking for employees all the time . When I left there were multiple openings at all levels of operation .

There were plenty of entry level jobs. All we required was a degree of English proficiency and a basic knowledge of math . They also had to pass a drug test because they would be working with equipment .
    don't ignore the facts tal employers look for experience
    Experience preferred but most of our employees at the operations level trained on the job.

but right now it’s a workers market.
    correct and it doesn't help that some are willing to ride out unemployment for the full term . The current plan ends in April . But Quid wants $400 a week for an extended period as well as those $1,400 gimme checks .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    it doesn't help that some are willing to ride out unemployment for the full term .
    I hardly think that you or your echo are economists. You have a track record of not understanding basic economics nor economic systems.

Because some would game the system, you are happy to overlook the adults and children who don't have enough to eat.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:14 AM
    I hardly think that you or your echo are economists. You have a track record of not understanding basic economics nor economic systems.
    You don't have to have a degree in economics to know that jobs are available.

Because some would game the system, you are happy to overlook the adults and children who don't have enough to eat.
    Believing A does not lead to believing B. Your bias is showing again.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:37 AM
    Having hired staff for 32 years ,I do have some knowledge of the issue

According to a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business, Business owners say that some job applicants want to get paid under the table, so they can continue to collect jobless benefits .I had my share of hires stayed through the mandatory training period or who started working and then tried to get fired so they could collect extended benefits . It is much more prevalent than "some " gaming the system. It doesn't take an economist to see that there is a perverse unintended consequence to being so generous in unemployment benefits that it would make economic sense for "some " to stay on the dole rather than seeking a job that pays close to what they are getting for not working .
    Some Business Owners Can't Compete For Jobs With New $600 Unemployment Benefit : NPR
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2021, 05:47 AM
    Yeah. Seeing signs all over our town for businesses practically begging for workers is a pretty good indicator. We have had small businesses here close because they could not be staffed adequately. But then I don't have my doctorate in economics. Maybe it actually means that everyone should vote for Biden???

When left-wing, dem controlled NPR starts reporting news like that, then you know it has to be true.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 24, 2021, 08:19 AM
    LOL, if you cannot compete in a livable wage market maybe you shouldn't be in business and people wouldn't have to game a system that allowed a decent living. You don't have to be an expert to know that and keep in mind your conservative attitude toward the working poor only apply to YOUR location and may not reflect the real experiences of other areas of the country.

As we recovered from the last recession even repub governors recognized the lack of jobs in their locals and states and tried to act appropriately with programs and workshops to help close the jobless gap with nary a word about lazy people gaming the system. It's been recognized for decades that the least of us lacked resources to move to where there are jobs without some level of help and support so sorry if that narrative falls on deaf ears here, because even in the best of circumstances it could take years to get your foot in the door and turn your life around to stable manageability.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Having hired staff for 32 years ,I do have some knowledge of the issue
    I have no doubt you have some knowledge of the issue, key word being "some". Your anecdote is not something to base an attempt to pump the economy on.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2021, 09:51 AM
    Some of my knowledge tells me it is a mistake to "pump " the economy with monopoly money . .

In case you hadn't noticed ;prices are rising rapidly . The home I purchased in January is selling almost $30,000 more than when I went to contract . Why ? The builder has to compensate for the cost of supplies . As more money primes the pump ,the value of the money decreases and it costs more dollars to buy the same goods .

Dollar’s Purchasing Power Drops to Record Low, Despite Aggressive “Hedonic Quality Adjustments” | Wolf Street

What will "pump" the economy is ending the lock downs . There is about $1.5 trillion of unspent consumer dollars in pent up demand . Open the markets and let the consumer solve the economy /

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

President lincoln [ 3 Answers ]

The raliroad boom began in1862 when president Lincoln signed what?

Project topics for undergraduates final year project [ 2 Answers ]

I need accounting project topics for my final year project for undergraduates

Project topics in accounting for my final year project [ 1 Answers ]

I need three topics in accounting for my final year project as an undergradute

How does a change in a project's cost of capital affect the project's IRR [ 1 Answers ]

How does a change in the cost of capital affect the project's internal rate of return

Abe lincoln [ 1 Answers ]

What are all the intresting facts you know about abraham lincoln? I need some help How did lincoln get his nick-name "honest abe" ?

View more questions Search