Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2021, 11:06 AM
    Chi-town Mayor Lori Lightfoot is my new hero
    Keep up the good fight Lori . The children of Chi-town deserve it .

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-we-are-out-of
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 5, 2021, 09:17 PM
    I think the mayor has done about everything she can do short of ramp up her vaccine supply. That's out of her control unless she takes shots from others to give to the teachers. So far the CDC has said school openings are safe as long as certain guidelines are met and they will issue more in depth guidelines in a week, but the data so far is on her side for now. We'll know more next week.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2021, 04:17 AM
    The teacher's unions do not have the best interests of the children on their agenda .
    Essential workers all over the country have been on the job since the beginning . Are teachers essential as they claim or not ?

It is illegal for them to strike . If they persist then I think Mayor Lightfoot should do a Reagan and fire them . Hiring new teachers would not be an issue . New applicants would come in droves . Asked why Chicago’s teachers would threaten to strike now, Quid's chief of staff, Ron Klain, answered, “money.”At least he is honest about their motives .

Unions are resisting opening in Los Angeles, Boston, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Washington. Michael Mulgrew, head of the teachers union in NYC, says the schools may not open until September. UNACCEPTABLE !!!

Private schools are open for business and there is no data suggesting teachers are at a higher risk there . The same is true of the public schools that have reopened .

Parents are supporting these schools with their tax dollars . If their children are not being educated by them then it is theft . Enrollment in California’s public schools has dropped by 155,000 students, . Enrollment in NYC is down 43,000,

The broader subject it that it is well past the time to reevaluate the public school system that has been in place for over a century . Even before the pandemic parents were becoming increasingly unsatisfied with the level of education their children were receiving . They are voting with their feet . Those that can have been taking their childen out of the public system
    National School Choice Week

The national associations for private schools and home schooling report significant, recent increases in enrollments . So do Catholic schools which is a big turn around for them as the church had been shutting some of them down. This continues a trend that started almost a generation ago as minority students were being pulled out of inner city public schools using scholarship ,vouchers to send them to charter and private schools .

Given these facts you would think that the party of progressive change would jump aboard the idea of school reform . But no ;they are beholden to the unions that have a vested interest in maintaining status quo where the teachers are in the front of the bus ;and the children in the rear .
    Expert

Feb 6, 2021, 07:36 AM
    Another service to your conservative bonafides? Big biz, capitalism, and small government are the answer? I'm all for reforms in a big way given charter/private schools leave a lot of kids behind. Many parents simply don't have that choice you tout so prominently. Never have, probably never will. I don't blame unions per say for the equity disparagement of poor schools, since the whole blamed society suffers from it.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2021, 12:08 PM
    It is the teacher's unions that most resist change .
    Expert

Feb 6, 2021, 04:21 PM
    No, they just want to be vaccinated in a timely manner for starters. Do the math.

Chicago union signals it won’t accept Chicago Public Schools' ‘final offer’ on reopening (yahoo.com)

I can see both sides of this issue Tom.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2021, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Parents are supporting these schools with their tax dollars .
    ...as they are public libraries, community colleges, and state universities. Covid has partially or completely closed many of them with only remote teaching and guarded access.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 05:02 AM
    I would say the same for public colleges that I say about public K-12 . If I was paying tuition for in class education and was only getting a remote education ,I would demand a refund.

That being said ;the K-12 education is far more important than the college education . Adults can get college education any time . K-12 is foundational . You can't get that back . What those children are losing they will not easily get back .

Amazing to me the perception that store shelf stockers are essential but teachers apparently are not . I'm calling on Quid to call out the irresponsible teacher's unions and order them to go back to class. His CDC director Dr. Rochelle Walensky has stated that vaccination should not be a prerequisite to returning to work ;and I agree with the science . Miguel Cardona, Quid's Education Sec promises that schools will be reopened in Quid's first 100 days .

But Quid has also promised a $130 billion ransom payment to the unions . So I have to question where his loyalties lies .....with the parents and children of America ,or his financial donors in the unions . Never mind .I know where his loyalties lie . He has muzzled Walensky and distanced himself from her comments . His press air head Jen Psaki said ;"Dr. Walensky spoke to this in her personal capacity." ie not official policy.

On this I am on the side of many Democrat mayors including Lightfoot and even Sandinista Bill . The Dems who are siding with the unions are siding with rich and powerful Democrat party donors over the interests of the children . The Dems love saying they are doing things "for the children" . Well now is their chance to prove it . Open up the schools !!!

If teacher unions refuse then parents across the country should join in class action suits to take these unions down .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 06:15 AM
    I would say the same for public colleges that I say about public K-12 .
    1. More privatization with the use of vouchers.
    2. Return to a married father/mother family structure.

Problem would be largely solved.

Distance learning is full of promise, but as you note, it certainly should be less expensive. It's an area of great potential for the private sector to jump in with innovation and effective services.

But Quid has also promised a $130 billion ransom payment to the unions
    It's amazing how generous pols become when we stupidly give them permission to borrow money at will.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 08:21 AM
    Tom, those links are about distance learning with kids in public schools. I would think that is a poor idea for sure. I was referring to online classes for college students or perhaps a limited group of well-motivated high school students.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 08:39 AM
    Yes they were not a response to your college comments .They were in response to WG's #7 about remote learning .

I agree that on line learning is very viable at the college level . I know someone who completed their masters degree on line . If I were going to college I would probably opt for that myself. A lot of money is wasted in tuition costs on the college environment like sculptured land scaping ,student centers ,and climbing walls on gymnasiums .

To tal #6 I say who is more critical for getting vaccinated .....young and healthy teachers with no preconditions ..... or the elderly who's life is threatened when they get covid ? The Chi-town teachers want to cut in line . If the teachers use the same recommended procedures as the general population then they are no more at risk by being in schools as opposed to every other American who has been deemed essential . Or are their services not essential ?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2021, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    K-12 is foundational . You can't get that back . What those children are losing they will not easily get back .
    I disagree. No longer is handwriting, geography, parts of speech (diagramming sentences!), and world/American history adequately taught. Nor are art and music appreciation (seeing/discussing famous art works or listening to/discussing famous musical compositions and being tested on them). Bring back the curriculum from the 1950s!
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 10:56 AM
    can't disagree with that . But both comments aren't mutually exclusive .
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 01:33 PM
    No longer is handwriting, geography, parts of speech (diagramming sentences!), and world/American history adequately taught. Nor are art and music appreciation (seeing/discussing famous art works or listening to/discussing famous musical compositions and being tested on them).
    It's all being taught in our state. I can't imagine a state where geography and parts of speech are not taught repeatedly. I see posts all the time lamenting what is supposedly not being taught in schools only to find that those subjects actually ARE being taught.

K-12 is foundational . You can't get that back . What those children are losing they will not easily get back .
    That is absolutely, positively true, especially in K-8. Kids begin to "branch out" more in high school, but until then the emphasis is on foundational skills, and those are extensive.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2021, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    It's all being taught in our state. I can't imagine a state where geography and parts of speech are not taught repeatedly. I see posts all the time lamenting what is supposedly not being taught in schools only to find that those subjects actually ARE being taught.
    Where is the Tiber River? the Rhine River? the Pyrenees? the city of Riga? What is the difference between has gone and had gone, and what are the names of their forms? Why can't anyone differentiate between it's and its, or between your and you're?
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 02:03 PM
    Why can't anyone differentiate between it's and its, or between your and you're?
    The great majority of our fifth graders could differentiate in both instances. Pretty basic.

As to your geography examples, I imagine the great majority of adults get through life quite well either knowing their locations, or simply looking it up if needed.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 02:27 PM
    The purpose of education is to alert children to the existence of facts and impart basic reading and writing skills any thing else is cultural my facts are not the same as your facts eg; the US system of government is irrelevant to my daily life but your children spend excessive time studying it
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2021, 02:29 PM
    Math is cultural???

your children spend excessive time studying it
    Couldn't be any more wrong. Most young people in America seem to have no understanding of our government or of the heritage behind it.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2021, 02:33 PM
    Multi cultural in fact, basic fact 1, 2, many, much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gordon lightfoot [ 10 Answers ]

I want to dress like gordon lightfoot for halloween - no idea how though. How do I?

Town of creepy people who all seem to have a secret. Stranger comes into town. [ 2 Answers ]

What was that movie called where the man goes into a town and it's filled with evil people who all seem to have a secret and who are not going to let him leave alive. I can't remember if they're cannibals and plan on eating him. It might have been a TV movie. I think it was from the late 70s or...

Mother left child in care of parents and father is out of town of town working [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has custody of the child and father has joint custody of the child .Mother has left child with her parents for four days now. Her father(grandparent ) just contacted the father to let him know that she has not returned home and is recorded to have a drug problem in the past which was...

If you were a mayor for the day what will you do? [ 2 Answers ]

Okkk... well, I need to wright about "if you would be a mayor for the day what will you do?" All I know is that I will lower gas prices... Also I would help cleaning the environment... Also I would have more highways and acces roads... ... ..

View more questions Search