paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2021, 05:37 AM
    take your time and get it right, the kids can do with a holiday anyway
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2021, 05:51 AM
    the kids can do with a holiday anyway
    The kids are suffering because of this teacher union and liberal dem mandated "holiday". No educator would ever say that kids "can do" with sitting at home for months getting a half-way education. It has already been demonstrated in several studies that having schools open is a low risk enterprise. Both private and public schools by the thousands are open all across the country and doing very well.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2021, 06:10 AM
    Forcing essential workers, no matter the profession to work without such a verification process ain't the way to go. Even if a school is safe, teachers like everybody else can still be at risk of exposure to covid from other sources. A sick teacher does no one any good. A sick worker does no one any good and adds to the risk and increases the problem.
    Mitigations that are at least as good as for a grocery store worker are already implemented . You just think that a teacher is a special essential worker who's risks and needs are above Doctors ,nurses ,police ,firefighters ,grocery store workers ,Walmart workers ,dock workers ,production workers all over the country. Why shouldn't teachers be under the same risks ? Is educating the children not important ? On line learning is an inadequate substitute for class room learning for k-12
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2021, 06:31 AM
    On line learning is an inadequate substitute for class room learning for k-12
    That is especially true for the lower grades. And even worse, it's not that the kids are standing still relative to learning. They can easily go backwards. This nonchalant attitude about kids taking a "holiday" is really disappointing.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 20, 2021, 09:36 AM
    One size fits all doesn't work that well with school openings as some neighborhoods still have high rates of transmissions and hospitalizations and low rates of vaccinations and many teachers are still in a high risk category.

Too many localities across the country are in this boat, so generalities don't always apply.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2021, 11:57 AM
    Quid says follow the science . What he means is follow the science unless it goes against a major donor like the teacher's union. Kids are dying from this decision . Not from Covid . They are dying from suicide directly related to keeping them home isolated with little socialization with their peers

Quid campaigned on having most schools open in the first 100 days . Now Jen Psaki explains that when he said that ;he meant 50% ......and by open he meant once a week .....a “bold ambitious agenda.”
    Is one day a week enough? Biden's school goal draws blowback (apnews.com)

We were already at 50 % one day a week before inauguration day .64 percent of schools already offered some in person instruction.. So what Psaki says is the goal is actually a set back

The goal should be 100 % immediately 5 days a week !
    The“science” is clear and has been since last summer: Schools are safe. Kids are not significant spreaders . In fact, they’re safer in school than out.
    The American Academy of Pediatrics, National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine and Quid's CDC director, Rochelle Walensky, have said schools can open safely.
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2021, 12:30 PM
    The goal should be 100 % immediately 5 days a week !
    Exactly correct. In our state that is largely being done now. Some problems, but there are always problems. These kids do not need to be staying at home. What is really needed is for Trump to call for schools to be strictly online. If he would do that, then the "We hate Trump" crowd would immediately send the kids to school.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 21, 2021, 11:54 AM
    While the covid numbers are coming down after the holiday wave much of the country remains in a red zone for cases, and spread. That doesn't indicate a rush to reopen all the states economies and schools. Even the scientists agree that the locals should be cautious in areas with still high rates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gordon lightfoot [ 10 Answers ]

I want to dress like gordon lightfoot for halloween - no idea how though. How do I?

Town of creepy people who all seem to have a secret. Stranger comes into town. [ 2 Answers ]

What was that movie called where the man goes into a town and it's filled with evil people who all seem to have a secret and who are not going to let him leave alive. I can't remember if they're cannibals and plan on eating him. It might have been a TV movie. I think it was from the late 70s or...

Mother left child in care of parents and father is out of town of town working [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has custody of the child and father has joint custody of the child .Mother has left child with her parents for four days now. Her father(grandparent ) just contacted the father to let him know that she has not returned home and is recorded to have a drug problem in the past which was...

If you were a mayor for the day what will you do? [ 2 Answers ]

Okkk... well, I need to wright about "if you would be a mayor for the day what will you do?" All I know is that I will lower gas prices... Also I would help cleaning the environment... Also I would have more highways and acces roads... ... ..

View more questions Search