Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2021, 02:36 PM
    Break up the Big Tech Monopolies .....Parler sues Amazon over anti-trust violations
    Parler was removed by Amazon, Apple, and Google ,effectively knocking them out of the market . Conservatives were flocking to Parler after Twitter started to shut down conservative speech . A wave of conservatives left Twitter and Facebook after they permanently banned Trump.

“AWS’s decision to effectively terminate Parler’s account is apparently motivated by political animus. It is also apparently designed to reduce competition in the microblogging services market to the benefit of Twitter. Thus, AWS is violating Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in combination with Defendant Twitter. AWS is also breaching its contract with Parler, which requires AWS to provide Parler with a thirty-day notice before terminating service, rather than the less than thirty-hour notice AWS actually provided. Finally, AWS is committing intentional interference with prospective economic advantage given the millions of users expected to sign up in the near future.”

Fighting Back: Parler, Rumble File Suits Against Amazon and Google Respectively | MMG NEWS

Whatever anyone thinks of Trump, or how much anyone would like him to go away , the notion that Zuckerberg, Dorsey and Bezos should be allowed to silence him and any potential competitor like Parler that might allow him a platform is completely antithetical to democracy or a free market of ideas. The power of these Big Tech companies to control public discourse is a clear and present danger....not just to those they disagree with , but to everyone who values basic free speech ideals.

“A lot of people are going to be super unhappy with West Coast high tech as the de facto arbiter of free speech.” Elon Musk
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2021, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    “AWS’s decision to effectively terminate Parler’s account is apparently motivated by political animus. It is also apparently designed to reduce competition in the microblogging services market to the benefit of Twitter. Thus, AWS is violating Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in combination with Defendant Twitter. AWS is also breaching its contract with Parler, which requires AWS to provide Parler with a thirty-day notice before terminating service, rather than the less than thirty-hour notice AWS actually provided. Finally, AWS is committing intentional interference with prospective economic advantage given the millions of users expected to sign up in the near future.”
    Tom, you need to find a new right-wing law site. This one isn't helping you since it's consistently wrong. They and you need to read the fine print on the contract.

Whatever anyone thinks of Trump .............................. the notion that Zuckerberg, Dorsey and Bezos should be allowed to silence him ....................................... is completely antithetical to democracy or a free market of ideas.
    Tom, I thought you supported free enterprise. Zuckerberg, et al, are not silencing anyone. They are exercising their free market right to dispose of their property as they wish. You used to be in favor of that.

The power of these Big Tech companies to control public discourse is a clear and present danger....not just to those they disagree with , but to everyone who values basic free speech ideals.
    No, no, Tom. They are hardly "controlling public discourse". They are managing their own websites - huge difference. Free speech ideals are still valued, but apparently not by you as you try to silence those you disagree with.

Try being a little less hysterical.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 13, 2021, 03:26 PM
    You mean the free markets don't work as good as advertised Tom? They need regulations? The rich guys don't know what they're doing anymore?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2021, 03:28 PM
    Perish the thought Tal capitalism must be allowed full reign and the moguls of industry obeyed
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2021, 04:59 PM
    Free markets must be allowed to exist . Monopolies being created by rent seeking enterprise limit competition . They are anti-free market . Antitrust laws prohibit price fixing, the operation of cartels, unfair collusive practices, and the abuse of monopoly power that undermine healthy competition. And it is doubly destructive when monopolies dominate the public square and stifle the free exchange of ideas ,especially when the companies that dominate the market have a clear bias and actively are used to stifle debate.
    It is one thing to dominate the market . It is another thing to have so much power as to prevent access to the market . It is called the 'essential facilities 'doctrine and in our laws ,a company that dominates an essential facility must provide access to it at a reasonable price .
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 13, 2021, 05:52 PM
    amazon, google are prime examples of companies that have grown too big and they are monopolistic in their behaviour. The market must be regulated if we are not to be at the mercy of large corporations
    Expert

Jan 13, 2021, 07:59 PM
    Do businesses have the right, duty, obligation to secure their services and brand against actors that could damage their business? Sure they do.

Ask Ben how that works.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2021, 08:36 PM
    amazon, google are prime examples of companies that have grown too big and they are monopolistic in their behaviour.
    Absolutely true, and you can throw in Facebook and Twitter while you are at it.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2021, 02:26 AM
    Do businesses have the right, duty, obligation to secure their services and brand against actors that could damage their business? Sure they do.

Ask Ben how that works.
    To my knowledge Ben has never censored political thought . It is one of the main reasons I keep coming back here .

And Ben does not have a monopoly Nor is AMHD a part of like minded tech companies in a quasi -cartel preventing competition in discussion forums from existing .
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2021, 07:23 AM
    This should be a no brainer for you .
    Progressives are ;or were ,on board with breaking up hi tech monopolies .

https://www.newyorker.com/business/c...ak-up-big-tech

https://www.theverge.com/interface/2...ders-buttigieg
    Expert

Jan 14, 2021, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    To my knowledge Ben has never censored political thought . It is one of the main reasons I keep coming back here .

And Ben does not have a monopoly Nor is AMHD a part of like minded tech companies in a quasi -cartel preventing competition in discussion forums from existing .
    That wasn't my point Tom, the right to protect a site/product/business from corrupt abuses from outside players was the point, and let's face it, the dufus and his behavior could certainly be considered TOXIC, as well as violent looney fringe groups. Let's also face the fact these huge companies didn't get big in a vacuum, and smaller companies you call "competition" depend on the hugeness of those companies to fuel their own business.

Instead of suing for access, maybe invest in some cyber security to address why they were dropped in the first place would be a more prudent course of action.

Don't worry your fringers can still plot and plan on other dark web vehicles like the rest of the conspiracy theorists and crazies, and dufus demented doodoo heads.
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2021, 08:51 AM
    What goes around comes around . When your ox gets gored maybe you will sing a different tune .

I am frankly shocked how liberals can accept thought and speech suppression . As much as I have been critical of many things the left proposed ,I have never advocated the suppression of expressing those ideas . As I mentioned previously . There was a time when what you call "hate speech " was defended by liberals . It wasn't that long ago when civil libertarians defended the speech of domestic terrorists .
    https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/...ht-free-speech

1978 they defended the right of neo-nazis in Skoki Illinois .They defended the demonstrators in Charlottesville, Virginia,who were protesting the taking down of Confederate statues .

Hey the Chicoms disappeared Jack Ma and Amazon and Google disappeared a company they don't like . No difference ;right ? I suppose it is just as good that powerful oligarchs in the high tech cartel can control the free exchange of ideas just as the Chicoms can .But you should be just as worried as I about the future of free expression and especially about mega monopoly cartel's ability to dictate the terms .
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2021, 08:54 AM
    As much as I have been critical of many things the left proposed ,I have never advocated the suppression of expressing those ideas .
    I think they are all in favor of suppressing speech which raises questions for which they have no real answers.
    Expert

Jan 14, 2021, 09:56 AM
    Ahh the good old days Tom when common sense and civility were norms despite ideological differences. Before words were weaponized and became tools to radicalize. Vanilla ISSIS domestic groups changed things.

The downside of technology in the wrong hands.
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2021, 08:33 AM
    The downside of technology in the wrong hands.
    yep well I'm hoping someone in the Apple/Google /Amazon ]Twitter ]Facebook sphere is thinking long term. They think they have bought out the Dems (which was the easy part because Quid is for sale) . In reality they were doing the Dem's bidding .

But now that the Dems have the power ,just wait until the Dems turn on them . As I already mentioned ;their take down is just a matter of time . The progressives in the Dem ranks hate big tech even more than conservatives . Compare it to the night of the long knives since you guys like Nazi comparisons so much .
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 16, 2021, 11:27 AM

While I agree that some of the Tech companies are acting in a monopolists fashion and need breaking down and regulating.
    They have made far more revenue during this pandemic with the captive audience.

Gotta love the American Dream.....
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2021, 11:42 AM
    While I agree that some of the Tech companies are acting in a monopolists fashion and need breaking down and regulating.
    They have made far more revenue during this pandemic with the captive audience.
    Isn't that what typically happens with a monopoly?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 16, 2021, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Isn't that what typically happens with a monopoly?
    Capitalism at it most prevalent.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2021, 12:37 PM
    Capitalism is simply the private ownership of the means of production. It has nothing directly to do with monopolies.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 16, 2021, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    A better adjective -- capitalism at its worst.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I list purchases from Amazon by Amazon or by the sub vendor? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a number of purchases from Amazon that are from separate vendors using Amazon sales portal, they are mostly one offs... do I list them as separate vendors or just under the main main Amazon account in my ledger?

How do I regain parents trust after a serious trust break down? [ 1 Answers ]

Basically my ex fiancŽ did dope and I had a little of it now and again, but then when we broke up I found more of my mates do it too. As I enjoyed a little smoke now and again I bought my own stuff e.g a grinder and some weed. For 3 weeks I was buying my own and hiding it at home. Ä°t was never a...

It hurt to break someone's trust? [ 3 Answers ]

I hurt my boyfriend by breaking the promises I made with him.I chat with male friend when he was chating with me .he have given me a second chance but I again did it now he is hurt very much and not receiving my calls so will he forgive me...

Can you regain trust after a break up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, here goes. A little background info. My boyfriend and I have been dating for about 7 months but we didn't become offical/exclusive tillNovember. He dumped me a few days ago because I told him once again I was uneasy about his friendship with my cousin. I get jelous quite often and moody. He...

View more questions Search