Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I have an opinion, whether you value it or not,
    I don't value an opinion that goes against the facts or reality.

you feel you must correct any opinion that doesn't accord with your own.
    I correct only those opinions that don't accord with reality - the FACTS! It's not a hard concept to understand.

As I said before, consider yourself told
    Yes, I saw that. I don't know what it means. Unlike you, I don't obsess over Australian-ese the way you obsess over America. If you translate it into American, I'll consider it.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I don't value an opinion that goes against the facts or reality.

I correct only those opinions that don't accord with reality - the FACTS! It's not a hard concept to understand.

Yes, I saw that. I don't know what it means. Unlike you, I don't obsess over Australian-ese the way you obsess over America. If you translate it into American, I'll consider it.
    {expletive off} I'm trying to be polite for the benefit of others. I try not to obsess over americans but they take up space and inject themselves. I don't like the culture, I don't like the foreign policy, I don't like loud mouthed braggarts, I hear the scenery is nice
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:15 PM
    Let's have that impeachment vote. To not would be just as looney!
    I have no doubt Madam Mim will have her vote and the House will impeach again. I was speaking of the blatantly political games playing by the Schmuckster and Quid who plan to delay the trial until after the first 100 days of the reign of the Quid .

It will of course be one of those banana republic show trials the Dems are so good at conducting . It will keep those fund raising requests littering my phone ;as has happened by both sides since the election . Good thing I can block addresses . I must have blocked a hundred since the election .

The left is a joke . They are not even calling it inciting a riot (which Trump did not do . ) They are absurdly calling it inciting insurrection

Either way the standard for incitement was set in the 'Brandenburg v Ohio 'case .That case set the bar high . Speech must in FACT include intent to incite AND include specific instructions to do violence . It does not say that the speech implied that insurrection or violence should happen.

So even if Trump's speech turned out to be inflammatory(which it wasn't ) ,it is still protected speech . So all the impeachment talk is political theater . It's intent is to get Republicans on the record prior to the 2022 midterms .
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:17 PM
    a banana republic show trial, Tom, but it is fitting that a banana republic show trial be conducted in the banana republic the US has become
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:23 PM
    a banana republic show trial, Tom, but it is fitting that a banana republic show trial be conducted in the banana republic the US has become
    can't argue . The Dems set the law enforcement and intelligence apparatus of government power on an opposition candidate and then tried coup attempts against him and his administration . They are in their second attempt to unseat him even as his tenure is up in a week ,
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    can't argue . The Dems set the law enforcement and intelligence apparatus of government power on an opposition candidate and then tried coup attempts against him and his administration . They are in their second attempt to unseat him even as his tenure is up in a week ,
    as I said elsewhere the acts of a vindictive, vengeful woman
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:35 PM
    The left is a joke . They are not even calling it inciting a riot (which Trump did not do . ) They are absurdly calling it inciting insurrection.
    as I said elsewhere the acts of a vindictive, vengeful woman
    I cannot imagine any two statements that I would agree more with. The charge of "inciting insurrection" is flatly wrong and so absurd that it reflects terribly on those who are agreeing with it. And yes, Pelosi is a hate filled little woman who only thinks of getting Trump. None of this has anything to do with the good of the country. And Biden wants to speak of unity? If they keep this up, the results are going to end up being regrettable. I wish they would move on to their other equally loony but less divisive ideas.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 04:43 PM
    The left is a joke .
    Apparently, you haven't heard that McConnell is in on the joke. He says Trump should be impeached. McCarthy wants him censured.

They are absurdly calling it inciting insurrection
    They're calling it what it was. Trump, in a miasma of his derangement, calls it peaceful.

Either way the standard for incitement was set in the 'Brandenburg v Ohio 'case .That case set the bar high . Speech must in FACT include intent to incite AND include specific instructions to do violence

Trump accomplished both qualifications.

So even if Trump's speech turned out to be inflammatory(which it wasn't ) ,it is still protected speech
    Wrong. Incitement to riot/rebel is never protected.

It's intent is to get Republicans on the record prior to the 2022 midterms .
    That would be a delightful by-product.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 05:28 PM
    intent to incite AND include specific instructions to do violence

Trump accomplished both qualifications.
    Perhaps you can provide the quotes?
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 06:15 PM
    Perhaps you can provide the quotes?
    The right to free speech protects inflammatory rhetoric unless it’s intended to incite “imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.” That is a direct quote of the Brandenberg decision . The decision has not been challenged since the 1969 ruling .

An interesting note is that Brandenberg who was a Klan leader had the support of the ACLU . But that was in the days when the left believed ,,,, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

One has to do some heavy parsing of language to come up with the conclusion that Trump was intentionally calling on the people at the rally to storm the Capitol .
    I have no doubt that the House Dems will successfully impeach . All that will prove is that impeachment is a political tool to be used by the majority ......something that was feared by some of the framers when they debated the concept of the Legislature impeaching the President .Gouverneur Morris and Charles Pinckney were both concerned that a President would feel beholden to the branch of government that could impeach him, leading the President to become “a tool of a faction.” History has proven them right with the system broken down to factional partisanship . Every impeachment except perhaps Nixon who resigned 1st ;has been a partisan political football.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 06:52 PM
    One has to do some heavy parsing of language to come up with the conclusion that Trump was intentionally calling on the people at the rally to storm the Capitol .
    Even worse than that, it requires a claim of being able to understand the person's intent even though it was not expressed by the words. In short, the dems must possess the ability to read minds.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 06:58 PM
    One has to do some heavy parsing of language to come up with the conclusion that Trump was intentionally calling on the people at the rally to storm the Capitol
    All one has to do is read the news or watch the news. There are dozens of videos starring Trump showing him in no uncertain terms inciting the flag-waving screwballs to march on the Capitol to ensure that Pence overturns the vote and results in Trump being president. He said, "...and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down ... to the Capitol".

As it turned out Trump never did walk down to the Capitol. Coward that he is he snuck off to safety as the rioters did their thing. He also said, "You'll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength".

His intent was to overthrow the first branch of government and nullify the presidential election. In the melee that followed, five died including a policeman.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 07:25 PM
    You have a bad habit of cherry picking your quotes. Trump said, "And after this, we're going to walk down there, and I'll be there with you, we're going to walk down ... to the Capitol and we are going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women," Trump told the crowd. "And we're probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them. Because you'll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong."

And after that, he said these words which no doubt stirred many brave hearts to insurrection! "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2021, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    And after that, he said these words which no doubt stirred many brave hearts to insurrection! "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."
    Apparently, over a thousand people missed his point and spread s**t on the hallway floors, vandalized the Capitol and various offices, terrorized the senators and representatives and staff, and literally made their voices heard.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 07:45 PM
    Apparently, over a thousand people missed his point and spread s**t on the hallway floors, vandalized the Capitol and various offices, terrorized the senators and representatives and staff, and literally made their voices heard.
    You mean like they did in Portland? Who was held responsible for that? Or like they did on May 31 in D.C. Who was held responsible for that? Or when Pelosi referred to Trump and his allies as "domestic enemies". Was she held responsible for that? Why the selective outrage?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2021, 08:21 PM
    You mean like they did in Portland? Who was held responsible for that? Or like they did on May 31 in D.C. Who was held responsible for that? Or when Pelosi referred to Trump and his allies as "domestic enemies". Was she held responsible for that? Why the selective outrage?
    Change the subject, why doncha!

At least the PGA was able to "gut" Trump.
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2021, 08:26 PM
    Change the subject, why doncha!
    I didn't change the subject. I am asking why you are so upset about the 1/6 incident, and so uncaring about the other incidents. Why is that? Why the selective outrage?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 12, 2021, 08:36 PM
    I didn't change the subject. I am asking why you are so upset about the 1/6 incident, and so uncaring about the other incidents. Why is that? Why the selective outrage?
    I'm upset? You don't know me very well. Now, tell me, why did you change the subject?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 12, 2021, 09:11 PM
    Possibly the dufus over estimated his ability to control and manipulation of his red meat crowd, or there were enough right wing vanilla ISIS types to take things to a far more dangerous level than even the dufus anticipated. Of course he never considered that so there goes the NY tough guy's mouth trying to scare and intimidate the congress to keep his job. 6 people died so heads must roll, and his may too.

No way this gets swept under a rug, nor should it. That would be loony logic!
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2021, 10:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I try not to obsess over americans but they take up space and inject themselves. I don't like the culture, I don't like the foreign policy, I don't like loud mouthed braggarts, I hear the scenery is nice
    All of that is fine. You're entitled to dislike America. But that's not what I asked you.

You wrote, "As I said before, consider yourself told". That's the question you have yet to answer. Yes, I saw that. I don't know what it means. If you translate it into American, I'll consider it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Impeachment [ 174 Answers ]

As Trump continues to dismantle NATO which is critical to the peace of the world and has been for 70 years, and as Trump continues to cater to the Putin enemy who is determined to bring down the United States and its allies, it is time to talk seriously about impeachment. No longer should decent...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

View more questions Search