Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2021, 07:25 AM
    The message is pretty clear. Left wing rioting will be largely ignored by the powers that be.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 23, 2021, 07:53 AM
    Someday you will master walking and chewing bubble gum, and see the forest and not just the trees.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2021, 08:45 PM
    From Athos:

It's a figure of speech. I'm surprised someone who claims your credentials doesn't know that.

The forest is the big picture. The trees are the details. The big picture is the basic message of the Bible. The trees are the details that, taken as a whole, make up the message. When the trees (details alone without context) prevent you from seeing the forest (the Bible as a whole) you are missing the basic message.

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Thank you, captain obvious
    Yes, obvious after you had it explained to you. Another self-inflicted shot to your foot. (Do you need that explained?)
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2021, 09:07 PM
    Yes, obvious after you had it explained to you.
    I suppose, amazingly, that you really think I considered the "forest" to be literal trees. I can only say you are free to believe whatever strange ideas you want to believe, but any fair reading of my responses shows that to be ridiculous.

As a reminder, "I'll ask once again. If aionios means, as you have said, something less than eternal when it describes hell, then it would also mean less than eternal when applied to heaven. Correct?"

Ready to reply yet?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 23, 2021, 09:13 PM
    I suppose, amazingly, that you really think I considered the "forest" to be literal trees.
    You totally missed the point! I'm in shock!
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2021, 09:24 PM
    You totally missed the point! I'm in shock!
    Feel free to explain your response. I suspect you simply cannot see it, but I'm willing to listen.
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2021, 09:31 PM
    This is the statement of Athos I was responding to. "The forest is the big picture. The trees are the details. The big picture is the basic message of the Bible. The trees are the details that, taken as a whole, make up the message. When the trees (details alone without context) prevent you from seeing the forest (the Bible as a whole) you are missing the basic message."

Rather plainly, I think everyone here understands the relationship of the metaphorical "forest" to the "trees" so any attempt to explain it is just silliness. The one thing missing is Athos describing what he considers the "forest" to be. In other words, the basic message of the Bible. You, WG, have done that by saying it is love. However, you committed what seems to you to be a great sin of using a proof text. Still, I thought it was a good one and said so. But Athos has hesitated to do that, so it is the missing element. All the rest of this is just window dressing.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2021, 01:08 PM
    do bear in mind that you were not invited.
    Who invited you? People in glass houses .................................
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2021, 01:56 PM
    Feel free to explain your response. I suspect you simply cannot see it, but I'm willing to listen.
    Always the nasty crack, the putdown....
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2021, 03:30 PM
    Always the non answer.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2021, 03:44 PM
    Always the non answer.
    Be nice, even Christ-like, showing unconditional love, and I'll answer.
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2021, 06:10 PM
    Be nice, even Christ-like, showing unconditional love, and I'll answer.
    Oh please, please, be ever so kind and answer.

How was that? I don't know that I can do much better. 8D
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2021, 06:23 PM
    Oh please, please, be ever so kind and answer.

How was that? I don't know that I can do much better. 8D
    I detect a sneer.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 25, 2021, 01:04 AM
    As this thread has problems with common decency and being civil, I'm closing it.
    Any repetition will result in similar action
    Scream censorship all you want, just remember where you are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Impeachment [ 174 Answers ]

As Trump continues to dismantle NATO which is critical to the peace of the world and has been for 70 years, and as Trump continues to cater to the Putin enemy who is determined to bring down the United States and its allies, it is time to talk seriously about impeachment. No longer should decent...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

View more questions Search