Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Yeah, but I'm the only one willing to say it. Wonder why?
    It's so obvious an answer....

That's why no one participates here. These threads fall apart into pointlessness.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2020, 12:01 PM
    To say that Jesus is the only way to God is pointless? Perhaps to you, but not to me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 12:07 PM
    To say that Jesus is the only way to God is pointless? Perhaps to you, but not to me.
    You knew the answer. Why start grief with the question?
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2020, 01:31 PM
    I didn't ask the question of me. I asked it of you. But's it's alright. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. It's not the end of the world. We can just move on.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 01:55 PM
    I didn't ask the question of me. I asked it of you. But's it's alright. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. It's not the end of the world. We can just move on.
    If Muslims believed in Jesus as Savior, they wouldn't be Muslims but would be Christians. And as I said earlier, "They certainly are more dedicated to a prayer life and prayer ritual than Christians are!" And why wouldn't I, a Christian, know the answer to your question?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 29, 2020, 02:43 PM
    they are dedicated to ritual, endless intoning the same words is a self righteous thing, but a deception that many follow
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 03:16 PM
    Jesus was a Jew, and to the Muslims, a prophet as was the founder of Islam Muhammad. Humans love their labels to separate, while all are the same.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    they are dedicated to ritual, endless intoning the same words is a self righteous thing, but a deception that many follow
    Like saying the rosary?
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2020, 03:39 PM
    wouldn't I, a Christian, know the answer to your question?
    That's not what troubles me. What troubles is why, as a confessing Christian, you would simply avoid the question rather than answer it.

I think Clete had a good reply, and I would agree with you that saying the rosary is largely meaningless repetition.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 29, 2020, 04:26 PM
    That's not what troubles me. What troubles is why, as a confessing Christian, you would simply avoid the question rather than answer it.
    Why did you even bother to ask it?
    I think Clete had a good reply, and I would agree with you that saying the rosary is largely meaningless repetition.
    Yet is there benefit in that "meaningless repetition"? Why do Catholics say the rosary?
    Uber Member

Dec 29, 2020, 04:33 PM
    Don't worry about it if it bothers you so much. I love answering any kind of question of that sort, but some people don't. It's fine with me.

As to the rosary, I'm not Catholic and not real familiar with it, so I'll leave that to them.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2020, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post

Yet is there benefit in that "meaningless repetition"? Why do Catholics say the rosary?
    It is called religion
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2020, 03:23 PM
    It is called religion
    No, there's more to it than that. I'll do some research.

From one site:
    "With regular rosary prayer, a person will experience significant improvement in their overall mental health. Typical mental health benefits of praying the rosary include: Increased focus and attention. Mental clarity; clears the mind of distractions and negative thoughts. Better thought control and less intrusive thoughts. Fights depression.

Also, improves memory (short term and long term), decreases anxiety and fear, encourages positive thinking and a better outlook on life, reduces stress, increases ability to relax and unwind, is a powerful sleep aid (promotes a restful night's sleep), and increases an overall sense of well-being."
    http://www.erosary.com/rosary/benefi...s%20depression.
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2020, 08:08 PM
    Believe what you want all it is doing is inducing a meditative state
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 30, 2020, 08:12 PM
    Believe what you want all it is doing is inducing a meditative state
    I'm not Catholic but I can easily go along with the conclusions on that website. Saying the rosary stills your mind and pulls it into a meditative state so you can concentrate on blessings from God.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2020, 06:12 AM
    if you say the rosary as an exercise in meaningless repetition then that is all you get from it .There are 4 major prayers . The Apostle's Creed which states our faith in a prayer ;the Lord's prayer which Jesus taught us.; the Hail Mary which praises Mary from two Luke quotes (1:28 and 1:42) .Then we ask Mary to intercede for us and for all sinners . It concludes with Glory Be which is doxology in praise for the Trinity (a fundamental Catholic belief) .To the folks who regularly recite the rosary they are getting much more out of it than just a meditative state ,and it is presumptive to assume that .
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2020, 06:29 AM
    Honest question. Where in the NT do Catholics get the idea that we should pray to or praise Mary?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2020, 08:34 AM
    Honest question. Where in the NT do Catholics get the idea that we should pray to or praise Mary?
    I'm the last person to explain church doctrine .My simplistic take is that I pray for people all the time for their health and well being (James 5:16) ;and all I'm really asking for is for God to hear my prayer . When we ask Mary and the Saints to intercede we are not asking them to do any more than what we are doing ourselves when we ask Jesus directly .We are not praying to her . We are asking her to intervene .
    As for praising her, all we are doing is what the angels did . "Hail, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you; blessed are you among women."(Luke 1:28)

The NT says Jesus is the king in fulfilment of OT prophesy .(Luke 1:32) .Mary is the king's mother (Luke 1:43).We believe in the intercession of saints . Mary being the most important saint because she is pure and "favored" means that Mary's intercession is the most powerful and important .

It was Mary after all who had Jesus' ear at the wedding at Cana .Even after he told her it was not his time yet ,he performed a miracle .In doing this he asserts his authority and at the same time submits to her request. She in return told the servants to do whatever Jesus told them to do. If a request is granted it is his will be done .
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2020, 09:46 AM
    Thank you for the explanation.
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2020, 03:25 PM
    nowhere Jesus taught prayer to the father and down played any veneration of Mary intercession is asking God not the saints
    one of the reasons i left catholicism is it all seemed meaningless. Christianity is about relationship that cannot be achieved with repartition

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Fix is in .....the swamp protects it's own [ 10 Answers ]

Because "no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case." "In a report released Thursday, the DOJ's Office of the Inspector General said its probe found that Comey violated department policy. "Upon completing its investigation, the OIG provided its factual findings to the Justice Department...

Trump and His Swamp [ 22 Answers ]

I guess we missed his meaning - we thought he meant to drain the EXISTING swamp when it turns out the swamp is entirely one of HIS making. His cabinet secretary Acosta is the 9th cabinet official to leave the Trump administration. There are only 15 cabinet positions. For context: During the...

Swamp gas smell in bathroom comes when closed up [ 2 Answers ]

A swamp gas smell in jacussie toilet area of bathroom especially in colder weather when I close door and window. Have had 3 plummers and an enginer here. Yes I have pulled a couple dead mice out from under jacusie but this is a sewer smell. Replaced wax ring and toilet. I rent a beautiful house but...

Swamp cool to refrigerated? [ 6 Answers ]

OK, I am an experienced roofer who has seen this conversion a million times and I think I can handle it... I think. My plan was to buy ohe of the precharged self contained units that goes on the roof and just do the ductwork and wiring myself (I got my brother to do the 240v and subpanel), but I...

View more questions Search