Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxpayer83 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2020, 07:21 AM
    2020 State tax deduction - paying $80,000 in MN taxes
    Hello,

Due to some big gains in stock market, my MN state tax for 2020 is around $80,000. I can only deduct $10,000 of those taxes on my Federal return due to the SALT cap. Is there a work around or something to deduct the full $80,000 on my federal return?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Dec 18, 2020, 07:25 AM
    Sorry, but there is NO work-around. Several states tried to implement laws and procedures to work past the SALT limitations, but they were all shot down by the IRS.

Note that if you do not make payment until 2021, then the deduction moves to the 2021 tax return. It is possible that Congress will change the current tax laws and remove the SALT limitations.

Other than that possible law change, you are stuck the limitation.
    taxpayer83 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2020, 07:51 AM
    I only made 40K in MN tax payments this year. I'll take your suggestion and make the rest of the estimated payment next year by 1/15/21. Thanks a lot for getting back so quickly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-India tax treaty - can I claim deduction for CA state taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an F1 student from India who did an internship in CA for 3 months and am a nonresident for tax purposes. The form https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2013/13_540nrcains.pdf states: "If you excluded income exempted by U.S. tax treaties on your federal Form 1040 (unless specifically exempt for...

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state [ 1 Answers ]

Can I buy a used car in GA and pay GA taxes without paying taxes in my home state?

Paying state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I work in PA, live in MD, do I have to have PA state taxes deducted from my pay

Paying out of state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My husband works in NYC but we live in NJ. His W2 shows only NJ taxes. Should we have paid NYC taxes? How do we fix this? Thanks

View more questions Search