Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2020, 11:20 AM
    Removing wired doorbell - screws not visible
    Not sure if this is the correct forum so apologies if this goes against reposting rules.

Hi:

I am requesting help to replace my old doorbell but cannot find the screws. Attaching pictures so you can see it and advise me on what to try. It's a very old push-button doorbell. I am guessing it is wired because the button is lit after dark and I haven't seen that light go out in the last 12 years. Also, I was able to locate the chime box and I do see wires in there.

Thanks in advance!
    K

Name:  IMG_9518.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  64.8 KBName:  IMG_9516.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  79.7 KBName:  IMG_9517.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  70.7 KB
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2020, 12:23 PM
    We had one like that years ago. My husband remembers it was attached to a little metal rail, so try sliding it up to see if it moves and even comes off (after you turn off the power).

from hunker.com:
    "Removing a doorbell button is a straightforward process. Doorbells attach simply to a home, although the securing screws might be hidden.

If you do not see any screws, slip the blade of a utility knife between the seam of the front and side of the doorbell. Pry the front cover away and access the retaining screws."

Dec 1, 2020, 12:41 PM
    Thanks. Followed your advice. Using an utility knife, I was able to slowly (but slightly) pull back the central metal plate from the black border and see the screws. But I cannot remove the metal plate completely as it seems attached. Without removing it, I won't be able to get to the two screws.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 1, 2020, 01:28 PM
    Here's the link to that hunker website:

https://www.hunker.com/13415078/how-...oorbell-button
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 2, 2020, 06:22 AM
    The entire cover either pops off or slides in some way so use a flat head screw driver to pry the whole thing away, assuming you're replacing the whole doorbell assembly.

Maybe this video can give you an idea how your faceplate is attached. Doorbell Button How to replace and install - YouTube. About the 1:00 minute mark is where they show how the cover plate is attached to the rest of the button assembly.

Dec 2, 2020, 12:17 PM
    Thanks all for the help. I pulled the central white button out using a flat blade of a screwdriver, and the entire assembly popped out exposing the screwed in black plate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing ceiling fan cover, no visible screws? [ 2 Answers ]

Hampton bay fan. There are no visible screws... how do you remove the mounting cover?

Ceiling fan canopy won't come off... no visible slot or screws [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Coke-a-Cola ceiling fan, maker unknown, that I want to take down, but the canopy won't come off. It is not the typical slot-type that you twist off. I didN't hang so I can't see what is keeping it in place, any suggestions?

Wired doorbell, dual chime, front and rear door. [ 6 Answers ]

My door bell works only if my finger is held on the pushbuttons. The front door makes a 6-8 digit chime, the rear door makes a dual chime. If the pushbutton is pushed and released, the chimes are shorter and partial. What's wrong?

Removing stripped screws [ 8 Answers ]

Hello. I have to remove screws that are totally stripped from an exterior storm door to replace the door. What is the best way, and tools, to go about doing this? Thank you.

View more questions Search