https://www.feedingamerica.org/
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 25, 2020, 11:13 AM
    My favorite organization.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2020, 02:26 PM
    will be glad to give a donation . Probably won't help for Thanksgiving .But the rest of the Holidays are right around the corner .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2020, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    will be glad to give a donation . Probably won't help for Thanksgiving .But the rest of the Holidays are right around the corner .
    Thanks, Tom, if only it were just for the holidays.

In the wealthiest country in the world, 50 million people are relying on food banks to survive. Waiting on line in their cars for hours on end, people who had 6 figure incomes have run out of savings after many months of unemployment. Feeding America is in every state in the union, helping our neighbors with cartons of food. They need our help now more than ever.

https://secure.feedingamerica.org/si...amp;mfc_pref=T
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 27, 2020, 05:52 AM
    50 million people are relying on food banks to survive.
    That is an exagerration. The figure relies on data from the Pew Research Center. They found that an estimated 56 million Americans had " received food from a food bank or similar organization during the pandemic." That's a far cry from reliance upon food banks. In a country with a well funded and easily accessible Food Stamp program, your statement seems a little curious.

"A new report from the Pew Research Center found that 17 percent of the 13,200 people they surveyed said they had received food from a food bank or similar organization during the pandemic. Nationwide, that figure would amount to 56 million Americans."

Now that being said, I'm all for helping the poor get food and have participated in such programs for years. In our own city, there is a local organization which prepares hot meals twice a day that anyone can take advantage of. They particularly target the homeless.

Got to mention one other item. For those of you who disparaged the idea of the importance of protecting our economy during this pandemic, welcome to the real world. "Pew’s research also sheds light on a number of other ways in which COVID-19 has harmed American society. 15 percent of respondents said that they had been made unemployed as a result of the fallout, with 25 percent of households having a member lose their job. One third of Americans have been forced to take a pay cut, 16 percent said they had had problems paying rent or mortgages, while a quarter could not pay other bills."

https://www.mintpressnews.com/report...ndemic/271594/
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 12:28 PM
    Feeding America is in every state in the union, helping our neighborsawith cartons of food. They need our help now more than ever.
    I looked for the nearest location to me and it was north of Albany . So I will make a monetary donation ;but will still support my local food pantry .
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I looked for the nearest location to me and it was north of Albany . So I will make a monetary donation ;but will still support my local food pantry .
    Same here, Tom. After a call in the paper, our local pantry was overwhelmed with folks driving up and donating food.

Feeding America is not in my neighborhood either (semi-rural) but the news did a video story on their work in Houston showing thousands of cars waiting to get cartons of food. The line stretched for miles with wait times several hours. People interviewed were ordinary middle-class people in food difficulties for the first time.

It will get worse by Christmas and no relief is in sight until maybe Spring. As we wait for vaccines, it's masks, masks, masks.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    masks, masks, masks
    You need more than masks, isolation, distancing, shutdown in hotspots, tracing, restriction of movement until the case number fall and deaths fall
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    You need more than masks, isolation, distancing, shutdown in hotspots, tracing, restriction of movement until the case number fall and deaths fall
    Thank you. My Masks implied all that - but better you said it plainly.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 06:31 PM
    Yes, a mask implies only a face covering which is useful but doesn't handle contamination from surfaces and foolishnes. If masks alone worked, the US wouldn't have the problems it does
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2020, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes, a mask implies only a face covering which is useful but doesn't handle contamination from surfaces and foolishnes. If masks alone worked, the US wouldn't have the problems it does
    *sigh* - You missed the point - even an agreement/compliment, but be happy anyway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search