Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 03:29 PM
    There's no timetable for education and learning.
    What an idea. I doubt you could find very many truly professional, experienced educators who would agree with that. If that was true, then we could just start children at the age of nine and graduate them at the age of fifteen. I used to tell my teachers that the most valuable asset we had was time. It was the one thing that we could not get more of. If you really think there is no timetable, then you have been out of the business for far, far too long.

And once again there is the never ending call for just sending out money we don't have. If it's that simple, why don't we just mail out a check for 5 grand every year to every adult American? For that matter, why not 10K? Here we are, nearly 30 tril in debt, and still making calls to go even deeper.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I doubt you could find very many truly professional, experienced educators who would agree with that. If that was true, then we could just start children at the age of nine and graduate them at the age of fifteen. I used to tell my teachers that the most valuable asset we had was time. It was the one thing that we could not get more of.
    In a time of national crisis brought on by a pandemic, I think WG's comment is accurate. She's not talking about starting at nine and finishing at fifteen.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    In a time of national crisis brought on by a pandemic, I think WG's comment is accurate. She's not talking about starting at nine and finishing at fifteen.
    JL's a literalist.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 03:41 PM
    But that's a logical conclusion from her statement. If time is not important, then why wouldn't we just shorten the time kids are in school? A kid who is out for a year not only misses that year's benefits, but also slides backwards in his/her existing knowledge base. It's not a matter of simply not going forward, but of actually going backwards. Online learning can be effective for some kids, but younger students and less than highly motivated and capable older students do not do well, and that's assuming a parent is at home to make sure it all gets done.

Standards in our state have become so rigorous that teachers are constantly in high gear trying to get it all done. Many schools were already significantly behind. To simply stay home and say, "Oh well. We're not into timetables," is not an option at all that anyone wants. It's a lousy idea.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 03:55 PM
    Standards in our state have become so rigorous that teachers are constantly in high gear trying to get it all done. Many schools were already significantly behind.
    And I see over-50-year-old people here and on other sites who consistently misspell the same words, misuse apostrophes (e.g., use them in plural nouns and verbs), confuse your/you're and it's/its (not to mention there/their/they're), and put a space after a sentence and before the punctuation mark, so I wonder about education standards even years ago.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 04:12 PM
    Jimmy's grandma was in good health and lively until she caught her grandson's coronavirus. After coughing endlessly and trying to breathe, she died a week later. At the family's Thanksgiving get-together, Jimmy passed the virus to a couple of aunts and cousins. Three weeks later Jimmy's dad died of the virus.
    anecdotal sob stories are great proof . Why is it that when Jimmy goes to Catholic School he is not bringing home the virus. How is it that Europe can have a more draconian lock down than proposed here and still their schools remain open . The AFT presents no negative evidence . They just arm twisted Sandinistas Bill to go along with artificial measures. . They gave a 3% threshold for the communities when in fact the schools reported rates were almost non-exitance . So NO Jimmy did not bring it home.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 04:20 PM
    And I see over-50-year-old people here and on other sites who consistently misspell the same words, misuse apostrophes (e.g., use them in plural nouns and verbs), confuse your/you're and it's/its (not to mention there/their/they're), and put a space after a sentence and before the punctuation mark, so I wonder about education standards even years ago.
    You have made similar mistakes in grammar, so should we wonder about your standards? And if some people have not received a solid education, then is pulling them out of school for a year a plausible solution?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 04:59 PM
    You have made similar mistakes in grammar, so should we wonder about your standards?
    Always the putdown.

I'm am one of those over 50. I always proofread my responses but, even then, miss an occasional mistake. Fb messaging is horrible to proofread, what with autocorrect out-thinking me.
    And if some people have not received a solid education, then is pulling them out of school for a year a plausible solution?
    Otherwise, they and/or people they are in contact with will get very sick or die. Miss a year of school or someone close to you dies. Pick one.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 05:03 PM
    You talk about learning being important, but someone hasn't learned the basic concepts, that distancing and hygiene is what beats CV19 and that means many things; firstly, you are not free to infect others and that means freedom of movement must be curtailed, particularly in hotspots of infection. With the large number of community infestations everyone must be considered a suspect carrier and guilty until proven innocent. Asymptomatic children are a risk and as many teachers are in the risk categories concern must be given to vulnerability so online learning becomes an option

Children will not be damaged by a period of home schooling and non school going. They will be damaged if their teachers die or their parents die
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 05:33 PM
    um I'm talking about the bluest of blue states in the bluest of blue cities where Sandinista Bill and il duce Cuomo have run roughshod on rights and brags about it .
    Children will not be damaged by a period of home schooling and non school going. They will be damaged if their teachers die or their parents die
    study after study on the negative impacts on children tell a different tale.

Adverse consequences of school closures (unesco.org)

Pediatric Group Calls for Children to Return to Schools Despite Coronavirus | Education News | US News

Why A.A.P. Guidelines Are Pushing for Schools to Reopen This Fall - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 05:48 PM

I see you cite the NYSlimes when it suits you.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 06:46 PM
    I'm am one of those over 50.
    Uhm...well, never mind.

Dismiss school and put education at risk or have school and put lives at risk. Tough decisions. I can understand why some would dismiss school, but it's silly to pretend that it will not have negative consequences.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 07:26 PM
    Dismiss school and put education at risk or have school and put lives at risk. Tough decisions. I can understand why some would dismiss school, but it's silly to pretend that it will not have negative consequences.
    Such as -- compared to spreading illness and causing death?
    Ultra Member

Nov 21, 2020, 07:57 PM
    Originally Posted by tomder55
    Why A.A.P. Guidelines Are Pushing for Schools to Reopen This Fall - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

I see you cite the NYSlimes when it suits you.
    That is correct ;as rare as that is .

Here is another one

Europe’s Locked Down, but Schools Are Open - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
    the continent’s leaders have largely adopted the advice of experts who contend that the public health risks of keeping children in school are outweighed by educational and social benefits, reports our colleague Melissa Eddy, a correspondent based in Berlin.
    “We cannot and will not allow our children and young people’s futures to be another victim of this disease,” said Micheal Martin, the Irish prime minister, in a national address. “They need their education.”
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 08:30 PM
    Such as -- compared to spreading illness and causing death?
    These protests sound rather hollow coming from a person who has no problem with 900 thousand unborn children a year put to death in abortion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 08:41 PM
    These protests sound rather hollow coming from a person who has no problem with 900 thousand unborn children a year put to death in abortion.
    This coming from the guy who cheered Trump for caging babies and children at the southern border after they had been irrevocably separated from parents/family members.
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2020, 08:44 PM
    who cheered Trump for caging babies and children at the southern border after they had been irrevocably separated from parents/family members.
    That is a complete and total falsehood unlike your support of abortion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2020, 09:04 PM
    That is a complete and total falsehood unlike your support of abortion.
    I've never stated my thinking on abortion except that having one or not should be a decision made by a woman and her doctor.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 22, 2020, 05:15 AM
    why don't you give it a rest, we have been all over that
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2020, 06:25 AM
    What possible topic is there that has not been discussed a hundred times already? Besides, this anti-Trump rhetoric cloaked in a supposed concern for life needs to be pointed out. You don't stand up for the unborn, so it falls on me to do and you to complain about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unions [ 2 Answers ]

True or False In the process of collective bargaining between an employer and a union, wages and benefits may increase, may stay the same, or may be reduced.

Are Unions necessary? [ 4 Answers ]

Please provide me all the informations that could help me to max out 10 pages for a research paper. THANKS A BUNCH

PEX unions [ 9 Answers ]

Can these be installed improperly? I'm talking about the all plastic type that require no tools, but are just slipped on over the pipe o.d. I bought one at Lowe's in the same aisle and location as the PEX tubing When I installed it recently to fix a damaged (leak) 1/2" PB pipe, it leaked...

View more questions Search