Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2020, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Revelation was written for those suffering under Nero. Yes, there can be extrapolations into the modern age, but be careful with that.

Well, Mother Nature is doing a pretty great job getting rid of us with pestilences of various sorts, hurricanes, huge forest fires, floods from melting glaciers, et al.

(P.S. My post above about a new Adam and Eve was tongue in cheek.)
    John was a little later than Nero in the context of Revelation, since we have been in the last days since Biblical times various judgements have been delivered through the ages and will culminate soon
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 18, 2020, 09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    John was a little later than Nero in the context of Revelation
    John was about 92 when he wrote it (if, indeed, he was the author). Nero (37-68 A.D.) ruled Rome from 54 A.D. until his death by suicide 14 years later.The manner of Nero's death corresponds with the prophecy of Revelation 13:10. Our pastor said Revelation was written in code, and that code has never been deciphered.
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2020, 11:10 PM
    John was about 92 when he wrote it (if, indeed, he was the author). Nero (37-68 A.D.) ruled Rome from 54 A.D. until his death by suicide 14 years later. The manner of Nero's death corresponds with the prophecy of Revelation 13:10. Our pastor said Revelation was written in code, and that code has never been deciphered.
    If the "prophecy" refers to Nero then it is history. So let us dispel one untruth, Revelation does not prophesy the death of Nero since Nero was long dead when John wrote Revelation. Since you cast doubt of the authorship , testified by John himself, undoubtedly you doubt the authorship of other parts of the Bible, perhaps the Gospel of John itself.. You would do well to check your references verse 10 of Chapter 13
    10 “If anyone is to go into captivity, into captivity they will go. If anyone is to be killed with the sword, with the sword they will be killed.”
    don't see how this could refer to Nero but then it is in "code" and more likely refers to the dispersal of the Jews in 132 AD
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 05:26 AM
    Our pastor said Revelation was written in code, and that code has never been deciphered.
    Kind of hard to imagine how anyone could know that Revelation was written in code when they then admit they cannot decipher the code. At any rate, that view is held by very nearly no one, so with all due respect for your pastor, that is what amounts to a old pastor's wives' tale. There is literally no good reason at all to believe it, or at least none that I've ever heard of.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 10:09 AM
    “The Trump team has prepared legally required transition memos describing policy challenges, but there are no discussions about actions they could take or pause. Instead, the White House is barreling ahead. A second official tells CNN their goal is to set so many fires that it will be hard for the Biden administration to put them all out.
    https://politicalwire.com/2020/11/18...setting-fires/
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 10:23 AM
    The officials are, of course, unnamed. Is that surprising? Rumor mill stuff.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 10:35 AM
    I don't know! All those lawsuits and clown antics by the dufus lawyers...the ones that are still there look like trying to start a fire to me. Trying to throw out the black vote is a sure fire starter.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 10:41 AM
    Trying to throw out the black vote is a sure fire starter.
    I guess it was just a matter of time before that accusation was raised. Do you have any evidence, or is this just a baseless charge?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 11:27 AM
    I don't make baseless charges.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 12:12 PM
    Do you have any evidence, or is this just a baseless charge?
    One or the other, my friend. One or the other.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2020, 12:52 PM
    Revelation does not prophesy the death of Nero since Nero was long dead when John wrote Revelation.
    That's called a "postdiction" - a prophecy after the event. In code in this case.
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 01:08 PM
    a prophecy after the event. In code in this case.
    A prophecy after the event in some supposed code that no one understands or can explain? Hmmm. I never ceased to be amazed at the strange things people will believe to avoid simply believing the Bible.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    A prophecy after the event in some supposed code that no one understands or can explain? Hmmm. I never ceased to be amazed at the strange things people will believe to avoid simply believing the Bible.
    I'm a preterist.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2020, 02:33 PM
    I'm a preterist.
    I had to look that up. Now I'm one, too. For Revelation. I wonder how many of us there are? Two, at least. I think we should march somewhere. Do you do banners?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I had to look that up. Now I'm one, too. For Revelation. I wonder how many of us there are? Two, at least. I think we should march somewhere. Do you do banners?
    Yes, there are more of us. Interesting you should ask about banners! I just bought about ten yards of plain cotton-polyester that I plan to cut and dye. Any special design(s) you want on them?
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 03:01 PM
    I have no idea how anyone can say the final two or three chapters of Revelation have already taken place. It is utterly impossible unless you want to take the approach that Revelation is some sort of unknown, mysterious code, for which there is simply no evidence whatsoever. No early church father is on record as saying that Revelation is a coded work, or at least as far as I know that does not exist. If it does, perhaps someone could make reference to it, and by that I mean quotes and references.

Everyone is a partial preterist. Daniel, for instance, is partially fulfilled as are many of the OT prophecies concerning Jesus, Isaiah 53 being a good example of that. But to suggest that all of Revelation, or all of Matthew 24 have already taken place is really a stretch. It simply cannot be true, for instance, that the New Jerusalem of the 21st chapter has already come to pass.
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2020, 03:06 PM
    I'm a preterist.
    so you believe it has already happened and we are in the post millenium of Jesus reign are you a Jehovah's Witness and follow the other concepts of Charles Taze Russell

Tell me when were the waters of the Earth poisioned in the last two thousand years? when did we get a huge meteor shower? why are we still suffering pestilence? why have we had two thousand years of destructive wars? it all should have stopped centuries ago
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 19, 2020, 03:35 PM
    so you believe it has already happened and we are in the post millenium of Jesus reign are you a Jehovah's Witness and follow the other concepts of Charles Taze Russell
    Nope! JWs aren't the only Christians who believe this.
    Tell me when were the waters of the Earth poisioned in the last two thousand years? when did we get a huge meteor shower? why are we still suffering pestilence? why have we had two thousand years of destructive wars? it all should have stopped centuries ago
    Why stopped? And where in Revelation is mention of the horrible fires in the US West? And what about the melting ice caps and climate change (because of man's destructive ways) and animals becoming extinct?
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2020, 03:48 PM
    Nope!

Why stopped? And where in Revelation is mention of the horrible fires in the US West? And what about the melting ice caps and climate change (because of man's destructive ways) and animals becoming extinct?
    Just because something isn't specifically mentioned doesn't invalidate the argument, In Revelation huge fires are mentioned and the dying, what does 666 mean if not the impact of man. I think you should read it for yourself, because you have already quoted one verse out of context and are obviously sucked into the opinions of one person. Remember you believe it is a code, what is a code but veiled references

Jesus millenial reign is a time of peace
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2020, 04:01 PM
    what is a code but veiled references
    Not in the sense she's using it. It would be more like a letter written by one spy to another where certain words have specific meanings known only to them. It's really a shame her pastor told her that, but I suppose she has never checked it out for herself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

Trump - "Unfit To Clean Toilets", USA TODAY'S Editorial [ 44 Answers ]

Writing about President Trump's sexually suggestive statement that Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) “would do anything” for campaign contributions, USA Today declared that “a president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama...

Trump's Recent Tweet [ 75 Answers ]

Trump tweeted that "millions voted illegally". Then why is Trump against the recount?

Tweet [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I admit, I don't tweet.. What am I missing? excon

To tweet or not to tweet? Or are we all just twits? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I need someone to explain Twitter to me. I don't think I get it. I have about 130 people (twits?) "following" me on Twitter and I've never tweeted! As I understand Twitter, you use a computer, phone or other web enabled device to send tweets. Then somehow the people following you will get...

View more questions Search