Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 06:14 AM
    Biden is suggesting a national lockdown of some sort lasting 4 to 6 weeks. This will result in the economic destruction of many small businesses and financial disaster for many families. Biden will no doubt suggest we use more federal non-money to send people checks. In other words, we will spend even more money that we do not have. Why would we want to do that when, just as Trump had said, vaccines are in the pipeline and scheduled to arrive at the end of the year? Hopefully, thoughtful heads will prevail. I just hope that when we get to the spring and the corner has been turned on Covid, people will remember that it was DJT who got the job done on that front.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 08:03 AM
    just keep you eyes on the sorry a$$ state I live in. Lock down is going to commence and Sandinista Bill can't wait to send the school kids home . Just in time for the holidays .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 17, 2020, 10:29 AM
    175,000 new infections nation wide and rising deaths YESTERDAY leaves little choices for governors and locals since the dufus has NO response at all does he? Ignoring the virus is such a great strategy for the economy that Americans gave the dufus the boot.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2020, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Biden is suggesting a national lockdown of some sort lasting 4 to 6 weeks. This will result in the economic destruction of many small businesses and financial disaster for many families. Biden will no doubt suggest we use more federal non-money to send people checks. In other words, we will spend even more money that we do not have. Why would we want to do that when, just as Trump had said, vaccines are in the pipeline and scheduled to arrive at the end of the year? Hopefully, thoughtful heads will prevail. I just hope that when we get to the spring and the corner has been turned on Covid, people will remember that it was DJT who got the job done on that front.
    I'm surprised that there hasn't been a formal lock down, but I guess your "freedom" is more important than saving lives...
    Yes, it is an economic nightmare, however as vaccines are still several months away, some pain would actually safeguard lives.
    The US is already on the verge of a police state, so why not do something worthwhile and demonstrate just how "Great" a country you really are, rather than the example on how NOT to deal with such a medical emergency. How many more people need to die before you all suck it up and actually take some measure of personal responsibility... Three, four, five, Hundred Thousand !!!!!
    The other countries in the same boat as the US wouldn't never be considered equals, or even close in development, yet here we are...
    The best example of how to deal with this mess comes from Oceania, where they have kicked the viruses backside with serious draconian measures..
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 12:58 PM
    A number of European countries have been doing what you want us to do for months now. The result? The same spike in cases we are experiencing. But as long as we can continue to spend this non-money, then we'll do so. If we have to raise Tal's taxes to pay for all of this, he'll be complaining to the high heavens. His great concern for the health of his fellow Americans would evaporate like the summer dew. Not one person on this board has called for drastic tax increases ON THEM to pay for these measures. It's easy to be noble when it costs you nothing.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    The other countries in the same boat as the US wouldn't never be considered equals, or even close in development, yet here we are...
    The best example of how to deal with this mess comes from Oceania, where they have kicked the viruses backside with serious draconian measures..
    Not without the projected damage to the economy but most infections came from travellers and they have suffered the most draconian lockdown measures to the stem the spread, limits on international arrivals, all interstate and overseas arrivals quarantine for 14 days in hotels. State borders closed, any business premise or school closed for cleaning if a case detected, contract tracing and quarantine, limits on numbers in business premises, houses, family visits, churches, events, social distancing enforced, travel boundries, large fines for failing to meet requirements but the US doesn't have the guts to implement such measures and yes, the impact on small business, in fact any business is severe
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 01:22 PM
    "Australia's economy had its worst quarter on record. Now it's in a historic recession."

Working like a charm. Everyone wants draconian measures as long as it's not your home being lost, your job going away, or your business being destroyed. It's real easy when it's the other guy going under.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/econo...hnk/index.html

Not sure where you are getting that from. Germany, The U.K., Italy, Spain, and France are all undergoing spikes in new cases.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Covid+...00DB3BCD6D9B7F
    Expert

Nov 17, 2020, 01:34 PM
    Left unabated it will be your turn soon enough to feel the ravages of sickness and death brought by the virus and the economic disaster that follows.

Good luck with that.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 01:50 PM
    Left unabated it will be your turn soon enough to feel the ravages of sickness and death brought by the virus and the economic disaster that follows.

Good luck with that.
    Have you always been such a drama queen? Good grief. Even the thought of your taxes going up causes this reaction. Just think what would happen if your taxes DID actually go up.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2020, 02:06 PM

No drama here!

Scroll over interactive map
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 02:22 PM
    Same things happening in Europe. They're feeling the ravages of sickness and death brought by the virus and the economic disaster that follows. If only we had some violin music to go with that.

Honestly, I don't think it comes to that, but there is that possibility. But this endless criticism of Trump, when your dem govs and mayors have failed so spectacularly, gets old. It's a tough pandemic and we've done fairly well in trying to balance the interests of health with the need to avoid a devastating depression.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 17, 2020, 02:22 PM
    Not sure where you are getting that from. Germany, The U.K., Italy, Spain, and France are all undergoing spikes in new cases.

I was thinking in terms of volumes of infection, so that would be India, Brazil, Mexico.....

While many other countries saw distinct spikes of infection, America hasn't really relented since March, and doesn't look like reducing anytime soon...
    Now whether that is down to central mismanagement or the fragmented, lone states, nature of the health response will only become clear after the fact.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    I was thinking in terms of volumes of infection, so that would be India, Brazil, Mexico.....

While many other countries saw distinct spikes of infection, America hasn't really relented since March, and doesn't look like reducing anytime soon...
    Now whether that is down to central mismanagement or the fragmented, lone states, nature of the health response will only become clear after the fact.
    I think you are right, in our case the response was a concerted national response with state and federal leaders coming together to plan and execute a coordinated response, and while there has been some exercise of states freedom such as border closures but there was no partisan blocking of the response but a national will to get on top of it from the top down. In other words CV19 was not a political football used as an excuse for political expediency

"Australia's economy had its worst quarter on record. Now it's in a historic recession."

Working like a charm. Everyone wants draconian measures as long as it's not your home being lost, your job going away, or your business being destroyed. It's real easy when it's the other guy going under.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/econo...hnk/index.html

Maybe but the recession is over and recovery is steaming ahead, the worst is behind us, while your head in the sand attitudes mean the worst is ahead of you
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 02:58 PM
    the worst is ahead of you
    with a President Quid you are probably right .
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    with a President Quid you are probably right .
    Nothing could be worse that Trump's inaction for so many months. He even promoted NOT trying to control the virus. At least 80% of the deaths have been indirectly caused by his mismanagement.

On day one, (Jan 20), Biden will immediately initiate effective methods to confront the virus. Biden will do this even in the face of Trump continuing to prevent Biden's team from getting a start on the problem by Trump refusing to cooperate with Biden.

Trump will have a dark legacy of death and suffering.
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 03:48 PM
    the worst is ahead of you
    You must pay more careful attention. Our third quarter growth was tremendous. Employment gains have been considerably ahead of projections. There is no reason to believe the worst is ahead of us unless Biden does something stupid. I will admit that Biden doing something stupid is practically guaranteed.

At least 80% of the deaths have been indirectly caused by his mismanagement.
    The experiences of European countries makes that sound ridiculous.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2020, 05:41 PM
    You must pay more careful attention. Our third quarter growth was tremendous. Employment gains have been considerably ahead of projections. There is no reason to believe the worst is ahead of us unless Biden does something stupid. I will admit that Biden doing something stupid is practically guaranteed.

The experiences of European countries makes that sound ridiculous.
    In light of current events you're statement is ridiculous! How do you ignore the soaring uptick of sickness and death and say it's getting better?
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2020, 06:18 PM
    In light of current events you're statement is ridiculous! How do you ignore the soaring uptick of sickness and death and say it's getting better?
    It is possible to deal with two thoughts at one time. The economy, I plainly stated, was getting better. The virus situation here, as in many other places, is not, and I have certainly not said otherwise.
    Expert

Nov 17, 2020, 06:42 PM
    That's very true and I can acknowledge two thoughts, but I just see a relationship between the two. I also add the mitigating factors of the stimulus package the congress passed that is running out and another so far absent that helped the economy before, and the previous lockdowns that slowed the virus spread.

I see little choice but to repeat what worked before until a better solution is presented. Vaccines may be many months away and surviving until then would be the priority. At least we can be more hopeful this time around that a solution is at least in sight.
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2020, 06:51 PM
    It is possible to deal with two thoughts at one time. The economy, I plainly stated, was getting better. The virus situation here, as in many other places, is not, and I have certainly not said otherwise.
    someone put the economy ahead of lives, wonder who that could be?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

Trump - "Unfit To Clean Toilets", USA TODAY'S Editorial [ 44 Answers ]

Writing about President Trump's sexually suggestive statement that Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) “would do anything” for campaign contributions, USA Today declared that “a president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama...

Trump's Recent Tweet [ 75 Answers ]

Trump tweeted that "millions voted illegally". Then why is Trump against the recount?

Tweet [ 3 Answers ]

Hello: I admit, I don't tweet.. What am I missing? excon

To tweet or not to tweet? Or are we all just twits? [ 8 Answers ]

Ok, I need someone to explain Twitter to me. I don't think I get it. I have about 130 people (twits?) "following" me on Twitter and I've never tweeted! As I understand Twitter, you use a computer, phone or other web enabled device to send tweets. Then somehow the people following you will get...

View more questions Search