Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2020, 03:08 PM
    Frightening Election Day Prognosis by Trump Camp
    This is a must read. It's short and reveals the election day plans by Trump and his cronies. Is this the America you want? Note how Trump's inner circle skates around the charges.

https://www.axios.com/trump-claim-el...fb47f613f.html
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2020, 03:13 PM
    Trump Wins; He crows about it for months on end
    Trump Loses; He declares it a corrupt election and forces matters to drag through the courts...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2020, 03:22 PM
    What happens on Tuesday night if Biden is declared the winner? Will all those ballots sitting in post offices or drop boxes have to be gathered up and counted (over the next two weeks) with the hope Trump will come out on top after all?
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2020, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Trump Wins; He crows about it for months on end
    Trump Loses; He declares it a corrupt election and forces matters to drag through the courts...
    If only it were that simple. Suggest you read the article in the link.

PS - Do you respond to internal messages? I have one to you from several days ago re DixieChick66 lack of profile- no response.
    BossMan

Nov 1, 2020, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post

PS - Do you respond to internal messages? I have one to you from several days ago re DixieChick66 lack of profile- no response.
    Sometimes, but check again ;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2020, 04:01 PM
    Sometimes, but check again ;)
    I checked, still nothing. I'll post it here to make it easier for you.

Trying to access the profile of DixieChick66, I get a message saying I can't do it. I'm curious why that member's profile is not accessible.

Thanks, Athos.

(sent October 21)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2020, 04:09 PM
    I checked, still nothing. I'll post it here to make it easier for you.

Trying to access the profile of DixieChick66, I get a message saying I can't do it. I'm curious why that member's profile is not accessible.

Thanks, Athos.

(sent October 21)
    I checked the profile of new member, Letilou, yesterday. Nada. If I remember correctly, the new member has to post X number of times before a profile appears -- and, of course, that new member can then add personal information to that profile.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2020, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I checked the profile of new member, Letilou, yesterday. Nada. If I remember correctly, the new member has to post X number of times before a profile appears -- and, of course, that new member can then add personal information to that profile.
    The profile is now accessible. There are NO more posts than there were when I first inquired. Hmmmmm.

Maybe fresh air opened it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 1, 2020, 05:02 PM
    The profile is now accessible. There are NO more posts than there were when I first inquired. Hmmmmm.

Maybe fresh air opened it.
    Maybe then a number of days have to pass before the profile is available/visible.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2020, 05:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Maybe then a number of days have to pass before the profile is available/visible.
    I don't think so.

I contacted another member here over a month ago and that member tried to contact a moderator on this issue - no success.

Here is the message I got when attempting to access Dixie profile :

Athos, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. If you are trying to post, you probably have not activated your account by clicking the link in the email we sent to you. Remember, the email may be in your bulk email folder.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or access administrative features or some other privileged system?

Note there is no mention of X number of days before allowing access to a profile.
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2020, 12:39 AM
    All new members are placed on moderation until they have posted a number of times.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2020, 11:26 AM
    Frightening Election Day Prognosis by Trump Camp
    This is a must read. It's short and reveals the election day plans by Trump and his cronies. Is this the America you want? Note how Trump's inner circle skates around the charges.

https://www.axios.com/trump-claim-el...fb47f613f.html
    If he has a commanding lead in key battleground states like Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Arizona, Georgia then he would be right no matter how long it took to count the ballots .
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2020, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    If he has a commanding lead in key battleground states like Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Arizona, Georgia then he would be right no matter how long it took to count the ballots .
    Gotta love the collegiate voting system, the only one where a persons vote really doesn't matter.
    Lose the popular vote, yet still get elected....

TBH, all voting systems have their downsides, but none as big as the electoral college system
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2020, 12:25 PM
    If he has a commanding lead in key battleground states like Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Texas, Iowa, Arizona, Georgia then he would be right no matter how long it took to count the ballots
    That's not what the article said.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2020, 12:35 PM
    All new members are placed on moderation until they have posted a number of times.
    Thank you for that info.

I think it should be included in the auto-message I quoted above and which I received when inquiring. In any case, it seems rather vague - how many times?
    BossMan

Nov 2, 2020, 12:58 PM
    Thank you for that info.

I think it should be included in the auto-message I quoted above and which I received when inquiring. In any case, it seems rather vague - how many times?
    As it's part of the measures we have in place to curtail spammer/scammer activity I can't give you an exact number.
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2020, 02:37 PM
    Gotta love the collegiate voting system, the only one where a persons vote really doesn't matter.
    Lose the popular vote, yet still get elected....

TBH, all voting systems have their downsides, but none as big as the electoral college system
    as opposed to candidates only being concerned with the issues important to the costal elite cities . The new presidential campaign trail would heavily feature New York, California, ,the DC area ,Texas, and Florida, which combined account for 58.5 million registered voters The other states would be "fly over " neglected states , and the federal benefits they enjoy would likely disappear as well. WE were not designed to be a popular democracy .Even when it was 13 states the interests of regions had to be considered to create a union. A popular voting system would destroy that basic framework.
    We will see how popular voting democracy works in a republic . I don't know what turnout will be this cycle . But most often it hovers around 50-60 % and even less in non-presidential years . But the popular vote will not change that . Turnout should be higher in swing states like Florida . But even with campaigns concentrating their efforts there ,Florida only had about 65% turnout in 2016. So even when a candidate gets a majority vote it does not represent the majority will of the people .

And how does one rationalize a winner take all system when the popular vote comes down to a percentage or 2 or slightly more even in blow out elections ? Maybe we should go back to the days of the 1800 election when the 2nd place candidate took the VP ?

Without the EC the 2 party system would collapse .It would be replaced with the people voting on a ballot of extreme fringe candidates all vying for pluralities instead of majorities or near majorities . Imagine the leader of the country being selected by 25-30 % of the popular vote or less . That would happen in a popular vote system .So your theory of win the popular vote win the election falls flat .
    We elect a President ,not a Parliament that had to build ruling coalitions after a vote . The 2 party system at least moderates both parties . To get something done requires compromise

It is not perfect . But we were never promised perfect . Our mission statement is to form a more perfect union. That cannot happen unless all the people's issues are considered .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2020, 05:05 AM
    All the peoples issues cannot be considered unless they all participate. 97 million early votes is encouraging, if they all count.

We may never be perfect but must strive to be and no doubt we could stand some tweaks and upgrades to the system.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2020, 07:27 AM
    That is the beauty of the amendment process. We don't use it enough .And I'm not talking about the method normally used . That is slow and arduous.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 3, 2020, 01:23 PM
    That is the beauty of the amendment process. We don't use it enough .And I'm not talking about the method normally used . That is slow and arduous.
    You forgot the bloody brutal struggle that continues to this day just for voting rights. Slow and arduous is an understatement given the shenanigans and opposition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trump Denies Peaceful Transfer of Power After Election [ 36 Answers ]

In a mind-boggling declaration, unprecedented in over 200 years of United States government, Trump has refused to commit to a peaceful transfer of power if he loses the election. In a rambling answer to a reporter's question, Trump cited ballots, a rigged election, and the Democratic party as...

Trump Plans Nov 3 Election Invalid! [ 88 Answers ]

Trump is planning to have the presidential election on NOV 3 declared invalid. If this surprises you, you haven't been paying attention. As usual, he couches it in his tweet so he can test the reaction and deny it if necessary. But does anyone doubt that invalidating the election if he...

DANGER! Trump Wants Election Delayed [ 150 Answers ]

In a major step toward a dictatorship, Trump today tweeted that the presidential election should be delayed. His public reasoning is that mail-in voting is fraudulent. He says this without a scintilla of evidence. His real reason is that he is so far behind in the polls that his chances of...

Trump invited the Taliban to Camp David ? [ 31 Answers ]

Here is his tweets https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/874276197357596672/kUuht00m_x96.jpg Unbeknownst to almost everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday. They were coming to the United...

Top Secret NSA Document Proving Russians Aided Trump Election Campaign [ 12 Answers ]

The Rachel Maddow Show reported last night Thursday that she received an anonymous document in the mail that was marked Top Secret from the NSA. Within the document was the name of an American citizen (well-known) who was a member of the Trump transition team and who worked with Russian ...

View more questions Search