Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 31, 2020, 02:41 AM
    Is this really acceptable
    I know America is a litigious society, but this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54752228

Breonna Taylor: Police officer sues shot black woman's boyfriend
    A police officer involved in the fatal shooting of black woman Breonna Taylor has sued her boyfriend for emotional distress, assault and battery.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2020, 03:01 AM
    Yes completely acceptable . Officers injured in the line of duty have a right to sue and should exercise that right more often. There is this romantic notion that officers assume the risk and are paid to do so .There is also a false assumption that workman's comp adequately covers their injuries .Most times the suits are against the municipality .

In this case Mattingly was shot before he returned fire. His injury was caused by an intentional illegal act by Walker . Walker's claim of mistaking them for intruders does not clear him from damages he caused to Officer Mattingly .
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 31, 2020, 06:17 AM
    This cop may yet face his own legal troubles, so no wonder he thinks a lawsuit may help him in the future by establishing wrongdoing in a civil court by the victim. The whole thing smells of cop cover up.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 31, 2020, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    This cop may yet face his own legal troubles, so no wonder he thinks a lawsuit may help him in the future by establishing wrongdoing in a civil court by the victim. The whole thing smells of cop cover up.
    More so as criminal charges against the boyfriend have already been dropped.
    Don't get me wrong, I have alot of respect for anyone that takes on such a difficult job, but this stinks of snowflaking at it's worst.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 31, 2020, 06:47 AM
    The standard of proof to prevail in a civil court are far less strict than a criminal one. Basically the cop just has to show he was injured by the defendant and the reason and circumstance matters little.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2020, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Yes completely acceptable.

In this case Mattingly was shot before he returned fire. His injury was caused by an intentional illegal act by Walker

Now you're a mind reader knowing about the intentionality of Walker's action? Then why did they drop the charges against him?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2020, 06:28 PM
    It is acceptable that an individual should take action after being injured by what is essentially a criminal act. Makes no difference whether there is a prosecution or not. The prosecution did not proceed because of public opinion. BLM, and all that crap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acceptable & Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so I met this amazingly gorgeous guy over the weekend.. Our friends introduced us, later on in the evening we hit off a conversation and some innocent flirting... I then heard via the grape vine he is married with 2 kids, but he wasn?t wearing his ring. I immediately backed off and carried on...

Acceptable or not [ 8 Answers ]

I had a large plumbing company come in to rod a tub. The shower in one bathroom backed up and goop came up tub drain in the bathroom next door. The plumber charged $594 to rod. It wasn't working and then added that he needed to get access to other piping under the bathroom to see what he was...

Is it acceptable? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know if I'm just over reacting but like most relationships my boyfriend has little pet names for me, is it acceptable that he calls one of his female friends these names as well?

What is the acceptable age [ 4 Answers ]

What do you guys think is the acceptable age to start having sex? I knew girls from school who were already having sex at the age 12 - 13. One girl I knew slept with over 7 guys in a space of 2 years, between the age of 12 - 14. Another I knew is worse than the one above!

View more questions Search