Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kutra Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2020, 06:18 AM
    Pipes rattling for 10-20 seconds every hour or so… …Saniflo is the culprit?
    Hi!

My house has its own Septic tank. Since Saturday, my guests started using the basement bathroom that has a Saniflo system - the toilet, shower and the sink gets the macerator pumping. Two days later, on Sunday night, I heard a loud rattling from the pipes on the second level of the house - it seemed to be the right behind the jet whirlpool bath tub but could be heard everywhere. This happened twice that night. No issues throughout Monday and in the evening, I shut off the main valve and drained all the water from the faucets. But on Monday night, the rattling of the pipes started - almost every hour starting 2 am - even after the household woke up on all levels. The rattling seems to happen when the Saniflo system is used but not every time the Saniflo time is used.

How do I resolve this? How serious is this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks,
    JS
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 27, 2020, 07:39 AM
    My guess is loose or unsecured piping, or air in the lines so read over these great articles and see what fits your situation along with ways to resolve your issues.

https://www.clearyplumbing.com/commo...5-pipe-noises/

https://homerepairgeek.com/plumbing-...ter-pipes.html

https://www.discovercabrillo.com/why...on-the-faucet/

https://plumbingtoday.biz/blog/what-...es-in-my-pipes

Blocked or obstructed Saniflo? Possible but not as likely or common as the above articles mention.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2020, 02:01 PM
    It would certainly seem that the Saniflo unit has some vibration that just "travels" upstream through your pipes and causes the vibration noise you mentioned. I'd call Saniflo. If you have this problem, then others have as well, and Saniflo might have an easy answer. There are vibration isolaters that you can install as well. I'd also check and make sure there is not some sort of blockage that is hung up on one of the blades. That will cause your vibration and given enough time will damage the unit.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 29, 2020, 11:59 AM
    Review of the circumstances does indicate inspection of the Saniflo to be a good starting point. Nice post JL.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2020, 12:05 PM
    Sheer luck!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

rattling pipes [ 2 Answers ]

The pipes in my house have recently started "rattling" throughout the house periodically and when they do the water pulses coming out of any faucet in the house. It lasts 15-30 seconds and was happening several times a week until last night when it started occurring every couple minutes all night...

Rattling pipes [ 1 Answers ]

When I flush my downstairs toilet, the pipes sound like they want to come out of the walls. The upstairs toilet sounds like it is running most of the time. There is no stoppage or back up issues.

I have rattling pipes near service, rattling when no flow, ideas? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fairly soft knocking, random, when water is not running. Source of noise near water service entering home in attic. I have decent pressure but pipes are old galvanized with mineral deposit. Water heater nearby by also but noise not directly at the heater. Noise is in area where inlet runs...

Rattling pipes [ 12 Answers ]

I live in a split foyer house built in mid 80's. I have had a problem with pipes rattling every since I moved there 7 years ago. The problem has worsened and now the pipes rattle all the time even when you are not using the water. Can you tell me what causes this and how to fix it?

Rattling Pipes [ 5 Answers ]

After we flush our downstairs commode the pipes rattle. What causes this and how can we fix it?

View more questions Search