Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkaufman Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2020, 03:39 PM
    Loosen Supply Line Bolts - what to use?
    Hello,

Seems that there is a leak from a supply line hose under Bathroom basin. Need to loosen the bolt that connects hose to faucet.

What's the ideal/recommended method to loosen this bolt. Read somewhere that WD-40 is not to be used for this.

Thanks,
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 17, 2020, 09:09 AM
    I have never used anything but the proper tools and leverage under the sink. Maybe your set up makes it harder but it's doable. If this video doesn't help then please let me know.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...050D&FORM=VIRE
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2020, 06:43 AM
    That was a rather strange question. Your answer was spot on.
    nkaufman Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2020, 09:43 AM
    Afraid, basin wrench wasn't doing anything.

Someone has suggested elsewhere to use a lubricant specifically for plumbing nuts, not wd-40 but something else.

Will take a look at that.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2020, 10:08 AM
    RIDGID EZ Change Faucet Tool-56988 - The Home Depot
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2020, 10:22 AM
    NK, I think I'm starting to see your problem. You are talking about where your supply line attaches under the sink itself, so it's difficult to get to. Does that sound right? If so, can you remove the sink? I just installed a new faucet in a similar situation. I took the sink off and found it all a MUCH easier undertaking. Removing the sink was easy in my situation, but might not be possible in yours. If that is the case, might be able to get vice grip pliers on the nut and tap the pliers some with a hammer. These are not typically difficult to get off since they don't require much tightening to seal to begin with. I suspect someone in the past really cranked down on the nut to get it to stop leaking. I wouldn't heat it unless you are ready to put on a new faucet. Too much plastic around it.

Tal did have an interesting idea. Cut the supply line and see if you can get a socket wrench on it.

You might also try putting the basin wrench on the nut, and then using vice grips to turn the basin wrench. You can get more leverage that way.

I've never heard of a lubricant especially for plumbing fixtures. If you can find it, then here's to hoping it works. You are a patient man!! I'd have had a fit by now.

One more thought, though I hate to say it. Make sure you are turning the nut in the right direction. Lying under a sink looking up, it's easy to get your bearings off center.

One way or the other, please let us know how it turns out.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2020, 10:40 AM
    I edited my response to reflect your specific job which isn't a bolt but a hose fitting correct? Vice grips should do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a 3/4 supply line supply 5 showers [ 2 Answers ]

I am putting in 5 showers and I would like to know if a 3/4 line is good

New Supply Line [ 11 Answers ]

I am running a supply line from my house to an outbuilding, where I will be supplying a bathroom (Complete with Shower), and a sink. I have done a trench 3 ft deep (Frost line in NC is 18 inches) to the building. I am planning on using 3/4 buryable pex. My question is where is the best place to...

How to increase pressure in supply line after addition of tee in line(05 [ 2 Answers ]

I added an outdoor frostfree water valve to the cold water supply line by teeing it in. The supply lines is .5 inch copper pipe as is the added line and fittings. The water source is a well. The water pressure seems to have dropped a lot even when using only one faucet at a time. The added line is...

How to loosen a faucet for water supply to a washer [ 2 Answers ]

Trying to install a new washer, but cannot turn off water supply from wall

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

View more questions Search