Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lora073 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2020, 02:04 PM
    how can i help my boyfriend trough his parents' divorce?
    my boyfriend hasn't been responding all day, and when he finally did he was in tears cause he just heard his parents are getting a divorce soon.
    now my parents are divorced too so i know what it's like, but he doesn't want people to feel sorry for him, he doesn't want me to be the person to be like "awh i know exactly how you feel" and that sort of stuff.
    i totally understand that cause for everyone it's just different, but because i can't say stuff like that, i don't really know how to help him.
    he told me he needed time to think so he won't be online for the rest of the day and maybe tomorrow, but i'm just so worried about him. he's a sensitive guy... and i also don't want him to do something... stupid... if you know what i mean..

please, does someone have some advice for me, i can use it
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2020, 02:17 PM
    My heart goes out to him! How old is he?

Oct 11, 2020, 10:54 PM
    my boyfriend is 14 years old, he's a year younger then me. and I just feel so bad for him, cause i think he's the last person who deserves to go trough this, he's already been trough so much....
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 12, 2020, 02:05 AM
    Sometimes the best help to give a friend going through a tough time is just be there for them when they are ready for your comfort rather than try to force it on them. When he is ready to talk then he will so give him the space he has asked for.

What kind of stupid stuff are you worried he will do and why?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 12, 2020, 08:40 AM
    Does he have brothers and/or sisters who are going through this too? Is there a relative, like an aunt or uncle or grandparent who will be there for him and give him hugs?

Yes, like Talaniman said, just BE there for him, hold his hand, give him hugs, cry with him.

Oct 17, 2020, 05:06 AM
    i'm scared that at some point he can't take the pressure anymore, we put our relationship on hold for a while so we can work on our own mental health cause our relationship was under some stress because of it. and right now i'm scared that when something's bothering him he won't tell me because he doesn't want to bother me, or that he'll hurt himself.
    but the main thing i'm scared off right now is that while our relationship is on hold that he'll fall in love with someone else
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2020, 05:39 PM
    I just hope you can see that these are your fears to deal with and not his, and right now he just wants space to deal with just his stuff. That's all he can handle right now no matter what happens later. Try your best to be ready for whatever happens.
    shanzaykhan7788 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2020, 03:48 AM
    Re: His parents are divorcing... It's really hard to help someone when they don't want your help. Reach Out have a great fact sheet about it here. In time he may ask start talking to you about it, or it may be something he chooses to keep private, but you can still support him without pushing him to open up to you.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 1, 2020, 07:29 AM
    What you understand Im sure is that it is a very hurtful and confusing time for him. He is learning what new reality is and how to deal with it.
    Your role in all of this is to support his needs as he takes this journey of discovery into the world of divorcing parents. He need to learn and understand its not his fault. Telling him that may not help as he has to "discover " it on his own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are my parents getting a divorce? [ 2 Answers ]

Sometimes my parents are not talking to each other, and sometimes they're just fine. But the other night comes into my room and tells me that she loves which is really strange because she never does that and I asked her like why she's acting like that and her answer was that she might not be...

My parents divorce [ 13 Answers ]

I am 16. I want to live with my dad that's where my school and friends are. He hasn't promised me anything inappropriate. The judge granted my mom custody. Can my mom ask the judge to let me live with my dad even though she got custody? Or can I go live with him regardless of what the judge said?

I think my parents are having a divorce [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is Olivia sorry if I miss spell words. My parents are fight every night and at night my mom sleeps on the couch and my dad sleeps on the bed. They been fighting about that my dad always promises but never keeps them, and always says sorry. Last night we bought flowers, and in the...

My parents are getting a divorce, what do I do? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so my name is Tate(15 year old male) and my parents are getting a divorce. There are four people in my family, my dad(Chris), my mom(Lori), my brother(McKay) and me. When I was younger my parents got along great. My brother and I are pretty could kids, we get good grades and don't do anything...

View more questions Search